Tap water to rinse out canister? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tap water to rinse out canister?

Once all the baskets and such are out of a canister filter can you rinse the canister itself out with tap water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
No, the chlorine in tap water is fatal to the bacteria. You should use the tank water when you do water changes but if this isn't convenient at the moment you should dechlorinate whatever water you use. Tank water is better though as the bacteria do not care for temperature extremes either.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go for it. I do it everytime I clean my canister. I mean rinse by the way. Don't soak the canister.

The chlorine in tap isn't as bad as aquarist make it out to be. If it was we'd be disinfecting with tap water rather than chemicals.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

i do it all the time as well.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

Ah, so you're not talking about rinsing your media in municipally provided chlorinated "bleach" water but just rinsing out the canister with it.

Some bacteria do indeed live on the frame of the canister so if you're already using safe water for cleaning the media then it would be better to rinse out the canister body with that but if not I don't think it would make a notable difference.

Last edited by goodbytes; 06-15-2015 at 12:29 AM. Reason: edit:
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
No, the chlorine in tap water is fatal to the bacteria. You should use the tank water when you do water changes but if this isn't convenient at the moment you should dechlorinate whatever water you use. Tank water is better though as the bacteria do not care for temperature extremes either.

Yeah sorry, meant the chassis itself with all the media and such removed.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah - no problem with simply rinsing the filter basket by itself/alone with tap water - there would be extremely little, if any, chlorine residue.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

The bacteria live in a biofilm on all the surfaces. A quick rinse does not allow the chlorine or chloramine enough time to get into the biofilm in enough concentration to kill the bacteria.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 05:28 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
When I clean my canister filters it is usually in conjunction with a partial water change. I use tap water to rinse and clean everything. The canister will usually get a light scrubbing with a kitchen brush. I usually run a tubing brush through the tubes. Use the kitchen brush on the baskets. Rinse all the media with tap water. Reassemble and start the filter back up. Never had any issues with water parameters, fish or shrimp deaths, etc. I do use tap water that is close to the same temp as the tank water. The whole process usually takes about 10 minutes so I don't think there is really much contact time with the chlorine in the tap water. Lots of folks stress way too much about this but when you are cleaning the filter in conjunction with a water change, usually you will be adding a de-chlorinator which should take care of any possible chlorine residue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

When I do a water change, I dump a capful of Amaquel in the tank, and run tap water straight into the tank. Doesn't hurt a thing!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode