What am I doing wrong? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What am I doing wrong?

55 gallon 48x13x20h with 48" finnex ray2 & planted+ on for 8 to 10 hrs. Fluval g6 pressurized co2 w/ sera flore reactor 6-8 bps gla ferts EI dry dosing. Eco complete fluorite black sand in back for hills front and center is controsoil 1mm capped w/ fluorite black sand. No new growth and plants are dying it looks like any and all help is appreciated thank you Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1434258597384.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	485329

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorstrick View Post
55 gallon 48x13x20h with 48" finnex ray2 & planted+ on for 8 to 10 hrs. Fluval g6 pressurized co2 w/ sera flore reactor 6-8 bps gla ferts EI dry dosing. Eco complete fluorite black sand in back for hills front and center is controsoil 1mm capped w/ fluorite black sand. No new growth and plants are dying it looks like any and all help is appreciated thank you
Everything looks fine Equipment wise(Lights, Filter, Co2 and Ferts)

Could you post your water params and dosing amounts?

Im sure that with your water parameters posted, it will help the other folks at helping you.

Unfortunately I dont have enough expertise to give you my thoughts on your problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

M,W,F k2so4 1/8 tsp kno3 1/8 tsp kh2po4 1/8 tsp T,T,S planted 1/4 tsp Sunday 50% wc not sure on water perms tho I'll check tomorrow last I checked 0 amm 0 nitrite 30-40 nitrate

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 08:17 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorstrick View Post
M,W,F k2so4 1/8 tsp kno3 1/8 tsp kh2po4 1/8 tsp T,T,S planted 1/4 tsp Sunday 50% wc not sure on water perms tho I'll check tomorrow last I checked 0 amm 0 nitrite 30-40 nitrate
dont forget KH and GH

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
CSM+B ? No trace nutrients ?

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Don't know how to test for kh or gh. And Plantex is trace I believe 1/4 tsp my stupid auto correct turned it to planted sorry bout that

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 04:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
If you're using treated tap water, your GH is roughly 5, according to the Clovis, CA water quality report. If you have a water softener (not likely at all) or are using some additional filtration, that will change.

How long have you had the tank running? It's fairly typical for some old growth to die off and things to take a bit to get started with new planting.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
How long have you had the tank running? It's fairly typical for some old growth to die off and things to take a bit to get started with new planting.
+1

It might take a few weeks for things to settle in and plants to start taking off. As long as you are trimming off the dead parts of your plants and avoiding algae issues you should be fine. If after a few weeks nothing is happening then you have have issues.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No water softener and just tap but I do use prime for dechlor. It's been running for a little over a week after rescape hadn't really thought about this I'm kinda dumb hahaha

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
One week is not enough time for settle in. Not many plants will kick in after only a week of setup. For a new setup, stop rescaping it. Let the tank settle. The worse thing you can do is keep fiddling with your tank while its trying to establish itself. A lot of people make this mistake and then ask for help. The number one response is " have patience"

The only thing I would alter is your photo period. 8-10 is more than likely too much for a new setup. 6-8 is generally a good starting point and then increase your photo period as your tank starts settling in. Too much light encourages algae growth. Your tank is low to moderately planted so you don't want to give algae a strong hold first.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

it was running for 3 months befor the rescape. would adding more plants hurt anything also i will change my photoperiod to 7 hrs and adjust if needed in the future

Should I get gh booster and add that?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-15-2015 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep the forums clean
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2015, 02:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
don't go too wild on the ferts yet IMO... plants aren't growing yet = they aren't using nutrients.

Adding more plants is ALWAYS a good thing. more plants makes everything easier. They use more nutrients and out-compete algae

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2015, 02:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I agree that adding more plants won't hurt a thing. It's a plus for sure. Typically the recommendation is to toss in as many plants as you can afford at the initial setup. You have to be aware of what plants to get though. Not all plants are good for a fresh new setup. Get fast growing plants that take advantage of toxins that are common with new setups.

If you can avoid adding chemicals to help balance your tank, take that approach. Some times you just have to add chemicals to balance things but if you can find the root cause, it will be better on your wallet and your tank. You don't want to depend on additives out side of fertilizers if you don't have too.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode