Paintball canister issues... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paintball canister issues...

I just set up my paintball CO2, but it seems like it only has 2 settings. Either full blast or barely on. If I turn it down to where my bubble counter shows 2 bubbles a second it will work just fine but when I come back 30 mins later there's no bubbles at all any more. Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or maybe I don't have things screwed on tight enough...? Maybe there's a leak somewhere? I've been messing with it all morning and it's driving me crazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm freaking out!! I turned it on low to only a couple bubbles a second, get in the shower and come back 20 mins later to it on full blast and my fish all up at the surface gasping!!!

There's at least 4 I don't think are gonna make it this is awful! I hooked up an air stone as soon as I found them but they aren't bouncing back!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
ahh! Sorry to hear that
yeah turn it off if you haven't already and the air stone should definitely help... if you can raise the output of your filter so it breaks the surface that will help a ton too.

Are you using an ASA on/off valve or a regulator? If so which kind? Also which bubble counter? verify all the tubing is %100 secure and firmly attached to everything. Are you using co2 resistant tubing or just standard airline hose? The needle valves even on the standard regulators like the atomic or aquatek can be quite a bit finicky, literally a couple hairs of a turn is enough to get it right but you definitely have to watch. I had to mess with my atomic v2 regulator for 3 hours a day for 3 days to finally get it right where I needed it to be.

SunSun Pimp # 42

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004VT41T2/ref=yo_ii_img

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001VRDV0M/ref=yo_ii_img

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004GCPM6K/ref=yo_ii_img

This is what I have...the air line tubing is just regular, not CO2 resistant..I did put that white tape stuff on the threads on the valve...is it possible there's a leak? Will I always have this issue with it not being constant all day?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ah OK that's the asa on/off valve. It works but you have to adjust the bubble rate every 1-2 weeks as the pressure in the tank drops. Its possible you have a leak but I think the main thing to do at the least would be to get co2 resistant tubing and check for leaks. Ive heard soapy water on a cue tip and dab it on all the connections while its on works perfectly. That needle valve is also a pain to get right. I used pretty much the exact same setup a couple years ago and yeah, lots of fiddling... but it works with the right tubing and a couple hours to spare getting the bubbles right.. and then watching to make sure.. and then more adjusting..etc. Once you get it right you have a couple weeks before you need to mess with it again but I was always checking it daily to be sure. It'll always drift due to the tank pressure and no regulator but shouldn't be as bad as you've described.

A better option would be to bite the bullet and get a regulator. I never wanted to for the longest time and now that I finally did, I won't go back. I'm currently using the gla atomic v2 on a paintball tank, it works but does require a bit of fiddling and watching. The real brand is intense and you may be able to find one for around $80-90 instead of the $130 on gla's site but you don't get the awesome warranty. I would not personally get the aquatek reg that's on amazon for the ~$80 but some people have had decent luck with it.

An even better option though is go full blown regulator. Can just get a paintball adapter so you don't have to worry about the money already spent on the paintball tank, and can go to a full co2 tank later if you want. There's some guys here that sell them prebuilt or can build your own or get gla's or co2art's something. It *is* worth the money regardless and would permanently solve your problems. Once its leak free and set and you've verified, you pretty much never need to mess with it again unless you want to change it. The atomic is close to about the same just a bit more fiddling to get it set and verified.

Sorry for the long post BTW. I definitely hope you're fishy make it. I would think so since it sounded like you caught it in time. Best of luck!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:13 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
I would not personally get the aquatek reg that's on amazon for the ~$80 but some people have had decent luck with it.
Yeah that is the one I have. It is "okay" the needle valve leaves a lot to be desired but it seems to be fine once you get it dialed in (haven't had to touch mine much). I would spring for a better one if I was doing it over again.

WIP |
| Spec V Drystart WIP
MTS already setting in.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
yep those things are inaccurate as hell, imo they are just a wast of money, just get a real regulator

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for the info holyangel! I don't have the funds for one of those right now but I'm definitely going to get one of the regulators asap!

So do you leave your paint ball CO2 running 24/7? Just turn a bubbler on at night? I can't imagine having to mess with it every day trying to get the flow right:/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Good news! Everyone is still alive and seems to be fine! I was so worried I was going to lose my angel, but she's okay
I gave the fish some blood worms as a peace offering lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 06:16 AM
Algae Grower

Good news indeed

WIP |
| Spec V Drystart WIP
MTS already setting in.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Entz- do you leave your CO2 running 24/7?
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yay! Glad they all made it ^^

When I was using the same setup I left it on 24/7. Too much work to turn it off at night and then possibly have to mess with it the next day. I didn't run an airstone at night but had good surface agitation, either one or both would work.

With the regulator now, I only run it a couple hours before lights on until lights off thanks to the solenoid.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah that's what I was thinking-omg I'm gonna have to mess with this everyday?! Someone recommended a different needle valve so im gonna go get one today and hopefully it helps! Definitely don't want a repeat of yesterday ha
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarraa View Post
Entz- do you leave your CO2 running 24/7?
No. The paintball regulator I have has a solenoid which lets me cut the flow on a timer. I have it set to come on before the lights and turn off before the lights turn off (or dim now that I have the 24/7). Essentially 8 hours of CO2 , one hour offset from the lights.

I run an airstone at night, mainly because I am paranoid and it is cheap insurance. A couple of times the fish were at the surface in the morning when I had next to no surface agitation and that scared me. With that fixed and the stone no issues.

WIP |
| Spec V Drystart WIP
MTS already setting in.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode