Filter maintenance - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter maintenance

Will this be the same as using the tank water to clean your filter?

You put a dechloronator(seachem safe) In a tub of water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinH View Post

Yep.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshinH View Post

No. If your draining your tank for a water change, there is no need to dechlorinate it again. The water is already treated. I have a 2-3 gallon container that I use and fill it 1/2-3/4 full of my old tank water. I clean everything in there. Now if your introducing new tap water, yes. It's much easier to use water your draining from the tank though.

I EI dose so every week at my water change, I clean the exterior of my c02 reactor pump, my skimmer and my power head. Then my filter media get a good rinse and I change my filter floss. The first weekend of every month, I thoroughly clean all the fore mentioned including my filter hoses.

Eheim Pimp #509
Finnex Club Member #31
The Fraternity of Dirt #146

Builds -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flight50; 06-11-2015 at 01:01 AM. Reason: -

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Flight50 would be correct in that you should not need to dechlorinate tank water if this is what you wish to clean filter material in.
If however you wish to clean the material in clean water,then yes dechlorinator will be needed.
That was what me thought the question was.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I clean my filter stuff in a bucket of dechlorinated water because I don't collect the water coming out of my tank. Works fine. I actually clean my mechanical media in hot water from the sink, just a FYI.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
I clean my filter stuff in a bucket of dechlorinated water because I don't collect the water coming out of my tank. Works fine. I actually clean my mechanical media in hot water from the sink, just a FYI.

As do I.
Just hesitant to suggest cleaning material under tap without knowing how mature the tank is.
Might would not want to clean material under tap water in new tank where bacteria may not be well established .
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
True enough. I also clean my canister in the sink. Tip for the noobies, don't put your intake too close to your fine sand. You'll spend more time cleaning your filter than anything...

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
True enough. I also clean my canister in the sink. Tip for the noobies, don't put your intake too close to your fine sand. You'll spend more time cleaning your filter than anything...
+1 especially if you are new with light sand and a canister(bad for a HOB as well if the impeller is before the media). (this is one of the most common mistakes for new saltwater people when i used to have my frag tank the forums were always new people asking why there filter or sump had sand always in it or sounded like their pump was grinding )

, 33g retired
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I love watching the water in the bucket go from somewhat fresh to the deepest darkest black once the sponges/media are/is rung out. The gunk and sludge is just wonderful. I just wash my sponges in tap water if I'm going for a quick clean. I dunk the media baskets in the bucket of tank water if I want to freshen them up a bit.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yep,,despite out best effort's at maintaining a clean environment ,I am alway's a bit surprised at how dirty the filter material can get in just a few week's.
Is why I often suggest monthly cleaning of the material.
After a few week's,you can tell by looking at how much dirt is washed from the media as to frequency or interim in between cleaning of the media you might want to adopt.
This goes double for those with soil based tank's.
Don't take much dirt to reduce flow from the filter considerably and what used to be enough flow to keep the suspended particulates in the water column for the filter to trap ,then just fall's to the substrate due to lack of flow through dirty filter.
Plant's might use some of this organic matter and depending on how much there is ,,Algae will too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode