3000 Gallon Iwagumi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
3000 Gallon Iwagumi

No, that's not a typo. One day (many years from now) I plan to dedicate an entire wall of my living room (12' long, 6' wide, 6' high rough estimate) as my master tank, an Iwagumi layout.

I thought it would be fun to discuss this in the forum. Before we start, note that I would not care about the astronomical cost to set up and run this tank.

Estimated cost: $50000, $5000 per year to run.

After watching James Findley create monster planted tanks such as Arizona and Nature's Chaos, I want to have one of my own, but even larger.

At the moment this is purely a fantasy, but I'm dead serious here; One day I plan to have this tank embedded within my wall and I will have a fish room with my utility tanks, sinks, etc. that nobody will see, close by the tank.

I would hire a contractor and make sure everything is structurally sound. Solid glass. I would prefer to have a rimless design with no bracing, like a public aquarium.

I would use mineralized topsoil or some other cheap method for the substrate. Placing hardscape would be a challenge, as my father stone would weigh a couple hundred lbs.

I have absolutely no idea what I would use for lighting on a 3000 gallon tank. I could use some advice on that one.

Filtration would be a reef-type sump. The biggest pitfall in my design is water changes. I would probably hook a dechlorinator drip to my faucet to dechlorinate as it pours. I would DEFINITELY have a hose / pump system for this.

I would have a HC/Glosso/Monte/Utricularia Graminifolia (I have plenty of time to decide) carpet covering about 75% of the surface, then some crypts or swords around the rocks. I would have a thicket of alternanthera reineckii in the back. I don't mind doing excessive trimming and maintenance, it is a part of the hobby that I truly enjoy.

I really love aquariums, and I want my master tank to be awe-inspiring. This will be much greater than a "stupid fish tank" that I hear from friends and family who aren't interested in the hobby. It would entrance them as well, with its beauty.

You guys might think I am a little crazy with all of this, but I am a dedicated hobbyist and I will see it through to the greatest of heights.

I'd love to discuss this with everyone here, so please, chime in! Also, please post pics of your large tanks as well, I'd love to see them.

Thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Monster fish keepers would probably be a better place to start looking than here haha.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Monster fish keepers would probably be a better place to start looking than here haha.
Yeah, I thought about that, but monster fish keeping is about keeping huge, aggressive specimens in a bare bottom tank. I want an Iwagumi, so I come to TPT.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

"It's the stuff dreams are made of"

Years ago Dupla, when it was still owned by the founders, had a 10000 liter display tank. There are a few pictures of at the back of the book The Optimum Aquarium by Horst and Kipper. They were the founders of Dupla.

You can pick up a used copy for $4 on Amazom. $ 0.01 for the book and $3.99 shipping.

As a book, it was ok for the time, but somewhat obsolete now. It also is a big saled pitch for Dupla products, many of which are no longer available.

Keep in mind that to maintain a tank this size you got to be willing to do a lot of diving in the tank. That's a lot of work long term. Also, Iwagumi aquascapes are noted for being a lot of work to maintain. You might want to consider a plan that makes the system easier to maintain.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You might want to consider a plan that makes the system easier to maintain.
I picture underwater drone HC lawn mowers, remotely controlled via outside the tank, or on autopilot.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilenarios View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
You might want to consider a plan that makes the system easier to maintain.
I picture underwater drone HC lawn mowers, remotely controlled via outside the tank, or on autopilot.
I was going to make a DIY device, a pair of curved scissors (large) on a stick, with a trigger to pull. I would rubberize the edges of the scissor as to not scratch the glass.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
An tank that big as an iwagumi would pose huge challenges IMO but if your up for it I say go for it!

Well that's just like.........your opinion man.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Because of the scale of the tank, you could probably use a plant that grows to 8 or 10 inches tall as your carpet, then scale up the rest of your plants accordingly.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's a great idea, never really thought of it like that. This is a massive project though, I will have many years to decide on everything. I chose low-lying carpeting plants because it gives that "golf course" look. On a scale this large, it would be stunning.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 06:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
if u ever do get a tank that big or close to it. i think you're better off making it look more natural or make it like a jungle. would look more nicer. iwagumi will be boring with that size tank. to plain.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can use normal hair grass as a carpet plant. I think a true jungle look would excel in a tank that size. Use something like jungle val as the carpeting plant and just trim it regularly.

As for the comment about monster fish keepers. I always viewed it as the place to go for making a BIG tank. I spent a lot of time researching plywood tanks on that site.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikonD70s View Post
if u ever do get a tank that big or close to it. i think you're better off making it look more natural or make it like a jungle. would look more nicer. iwagumi will be boring with that size tank. to plain.
I like the idea of a jungle, but about an Iwagumi being too plain, I completely disagree. Something like this on a huge scale would be nothing short of majestic.

http://www.akvarijum.org/forum/uploa...39_iwagumi.jpg

Quote:
You can use normal hair grass as a carpet plant. I think a true jungle look would excel in a tank that size. Use something like jungle val as the carpeting plant and just trim it regularly.

As for the comment about monster fish keepers. I always viewed it as the place to go for making a BIG tank. I spent a lot of time researching plywood tanks on that site.
I feel like monster fish keepers is for 'monster fish' keepers only. They have tanks for large fish like arowana, gar, etc. that are not suitable for a planted tank. also, I like the practicality of a plywood tank but this project I would pay the price for solid glass inlaid in my wall.

Take a look at one of Takashi Amano's super tanks. This is what I have in mind, but as an Iwagumi.

http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/at...nal_tank_5.jpg
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 07:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I guarantee MFK is the resource for large filtration, big tank design, and that sort of thing. TPT is probably good for sourcing plant information and possibly lighting. I doubt there is many people on here who have done anything near the scale you are talking about.

Are you going with fake rocks or building the tank around the rocks? To make a scape like that, on this scale, you are talking like a thousand pound rock.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 08:36 PM
Planted Member

Wow, a 3,000 gallon tank. That is like something out of my dreams. When you do this, you have GOT to post pictures of this tank.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I guarantee MFK is the resource for large filtration, big tank design, and that sort of thing. TPT is probably good for sourcing plant information and possibly lighting. I doubt there is many people on here who have done anything near the scale you are talking about.

Are you going with fake rocks or building the tank around the rocks? To make a scape like that, on this scale, you are talking like a thousand pound rock.
I'd probably find some long / large surface area rocks from a landscape company or something. My biggest rock would be like 100-150 lbs. A few people, some careful planning and steady hands can get the rocks in safely. A 1000 lb rock would require a forklift, and would complicate setting things up.

There's a lot to think about with this setup. I thought TPT would enjoy to discuss a practical way to set up this colossal tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode