8 Cardinal tetras
8 harlequin Rasboas

Is this okay? Can I add more fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm also, hopefully, going to be stocking my 55 gallon soon. I was looking at some fish and I came across the Congo tetra. IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!! It's a peaceful fish and only grows around 3" long. The thing is that I don't know of anybody has them for sell around my area. hopefully though!!! 😁😊

This must be what addiction feels like <3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:09 AM
Algae Grower

Also, would anybody recommend/prefer a 55gallon to be stocked with a small amount of large fish or a large amount of small fish?
Fish boy, I'm sorry to take your post for my questions. I'm lost too. Haha

This must be what addiction feels like <3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll look up the Congo tetra thanks but I need to know if I can add more or not. I have big fish and I really want many small different kinds in my tank. I feel think the fish are very small and I could add more but I need help that's why I came here lol
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:46 PM
Algae Grower

fishboy: what type of filtration do you have on your 55? is it planted? what maintenance schedule do you prefer or plan on doing? all of these are important considerations when stocking

sindy: personally, i like the look of a larger tank with a lot of small, preferable scooling or shoaling fish. but that's just me. the larger species i have kept in the past get a tank specifically set up for them, and then *maybe* they are joined by some smaller species, depending on the larger species characteristics (ie when I had an arowana he was pretty much by himself)

Bump: also check out this website: http://aqadvisor.com/
not the end-all definitive answer, but its a good place to start to see if your ideas are totally whacked

Bump:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Fishboy, I responded to your other thread. It might be a better idea to just use one thread so others can follow your questions and answers. I'll refrain from answering in the other since this seems to have garnered more responses.

I second the idea to check out aqadvisor. Good site to get some ideas. Personally though, I feel like you can safely add more based on your filtration and maintenance schedule, as windelov said.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have a Fluval 305 canister, I just recently started floating hornwort. I'm just floating it near the light with co2 in the air, and I'm not adding any fertilizer. I do have seachem flourish but I did that to my goldfish tank and now it has brown algae. Hopefully the hornwort will thrive in just floating. Is this a hard plant to grow? Can you tell me advice on this plant? My maintenance schedule is about 30%-40% a week.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/80%)
In my opinion, you can add 2 or even 3 more schools! So long as you always do weekly water changes and keep the filter media nice and clean. I used to have a 55 with over 50 fish and my KH, GH, Nitrates, Ammonia was perfect. All depends on the work you put into it. here is my old 55 with the high stock. I had 2 casualties, both RAM cichlids when my temp got too low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3ME4pg7QPk

-Mikey G
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did the aqavisor thing the one that the guy above linked me too. And the website said I could have this stock

8 Cardinal tetras
8 harlequin Rasboas
6 rummy nose tetra
6 bleeding hearts
4 plattys
4 Cory cats
2 mollies

My stocking level is 88%. Does that mean I have room for more fish?

It says I have 101% for my aquarium filtration capacity for the fish I selected.

Water changes 25% a week.

I have one 305 fluval canister filter, I added the same 305 filter so I would have two with that stocking list in this post and the filtration capacity for the fish I selected went up to 201%. Do I really need to buy another filter or is the 101% filtration capacity good enough?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry this is what I wanted!! Two fluval 305 filters. Get rid of all the other fish I currently have and put these fish in.

10 Cardinal tetras
10 harlequin Rasboas
6 rummy nose tetra
6 bleeding hearts
4 plattys
4 Cory cats
1 bristle nose pleco

41 fish

Filtration capacity 181%
Stock level 96%

Is this okay?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Is this stock okay? The website says my stock is under 100%!! The filtration capacity is 161%.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry, 181%!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The way those numbers read are for how much bioload your filtration can handle, and how much room in your tank you have. So basically what it's telling you is that you have room in your tank for those fish, but your filtration cannot handle that much bioload.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Pick two or three of the shocking species and get more of them. Like 15 cardinals, 15 rummy nose, and 8 cories. The display will look more pleasing than 5 schools of different fish. And they will act more natural. Just my thoughts.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode