ruby shark - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ruby shark

Hello there everybody I have a quick question
I bought a ruby shark the other day but noticed that he is grey with transparent red fins and tail. Where pictures I see of the ruby shark are jet black and bold red fins will mine grow into these colours or is mine just not the colour I wanted lol

BTW he is a 55g with some tiger barbs (6) I am adding a further 10 tiger barbs in the following weeks

Also as I would have a large number of tiger barbs what other single species could I axd I would only want 2 other single species
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'm assuming you mean a rainbow shark? I've kept a few in the past and have a red tailed black shark right now. I had the red tailed black shark in a bare bottom tank for a while as I was in the middle of a move; and then it was in a very basic tank with fake decorations and it was also sort of pale and grey. Once I got it into a real planted tank with some driftwood its body darkened up to almost jet black and the tail is now a bright red. So I'd say your fish is either still transitioning into your tank and/or the parameters are just not ideal for it.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello. Yes I mean a rainbow shark. I assume its his age plus tranistioing to new tank. The tank itself is a low tech dirt. So is heavily planted I had a spike in ammonia with the addition of the fish but that was to be accpected I did a 50% water change yesterday and today. I checked ammonia before today's water chang e and it was under 0.25ppm so will test again tonight

So would you agree he just needs time to adjust he is deco grey with transparent red fins. When I bought his I assumed it was because he was younge

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
well any ammonia in your tank can lead to a dead fish. So if the ammonia was at 0 then I'd say he is just transitioning. Since you got such a big ammonia spike I'll guess this is a newly setup tank? Doing the frequent water changes is really all you can do right now (and add something like prime which will "lockup" whatever ammonia is there so its not toxic for the fish). Keep changing water and hopefully the fish will perk up as it gets used to its new surroundings.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Planted Member

My red-tailed shark's coloration improved greatly when I added some vegetable matter to his diet (algae wafers, etc.). I don't know if the same would work for your rainbow shark but since they're in the same genus I thought they might like similar foods.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Planted Member

Those guys tend to lose their color when they're stressed. I wouldn't say its his age. I work at PetSmart and we sell small ones and they all have jet black and bright red coloration. But as soon as I stick my net in to get one they start losing their color. By the time I get one in a bag it's really dull grey. I usually tell customers to wait it out, their color should come back within a few days up to a week or so. If it doesn't come back there may be something in your tank stressing him out
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2015, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank fishless cycled for over a month but as I added 6 tiger barbs 3 nerte snails and the ruby shark all at once a large ammonia spike was to be expected I've done 50% WC a day since the fish went in. No ammonia spike since the finial rise to under 0.50ppm

As for veggies I added in some cucumber and zucchini he didn't touch it. But he ate once I gave some flake so I assume its just settling in

Bump: Looking at him now he is improving color wise I'll post up water parameters before tonightswWC

Beers for all the help guys

Also what fish could I house with him and some tiger barb I only want 1-2 single spcies

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode