Largest Stock Tank Size - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Largest Stock Tank Size

What is the largest non-custom tank size available? Do they make anything in a 8-9 by 2 by 2 feet? Putty has some space that would accomodate that size of tank due to a move?

If this is a custom only what would you think is better glass or plexi at that size?

Thanks in advance.

got CO2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

As far as I can see, the largest standard size is a 180g which is 72x24x24. Close enough?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Its depends on the manufacturer.... The company that makes my tanks has a standard tank size of 8' x 18" x 19"..... But they custom make any size...

Glass or Plexi is up to you..

Glass is heavy, but cheap
Acrylic is lighter but scratches easily, and much more costly

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gareth - Any idea on price on a beast like that? Are they in Victoria?

Amanda - A six footer will not be long enough...size matters, I want it to run the lenght of a couch and then some.

got CO2?
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank VIP

That tank is about $900, and yes its Victoria. SeaStar Aquarium, you have to buy their tanks through Pet stores out there that carry them, they don't sell direct.

SeaStar can Make them 8 x 2 x 2 but you are probably looking at around $1500-$2000 (canadian)

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks G. I will try to price something out for the near future. Man, can you imagine an 8 footer with 2 feet of depth for planting. It would also be visible from 3 sides in my pipe dream.

Wonder if you could keep discus and altums together in a tank that big?

got CO2?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank VIP

I wouldn't... Just because the Altums will out compete the discus for food.

I am currently saving up for a 8 foot tank to put in my living room as a river tank for Hillstream Loaches, or a big huge discus tank :-)

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So. Very. Jealous.

Eheim Classic 2213, community, heavily planted, 65W CF, 2x Hagen CO2

Fluval 3 Plus, nothin' but shrimp & snails, 65W CF, Hagen CO2

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was thinking that if you invented a feeding regimen where you fed the tank in two places at once, get the altums first, get them used to feeding in one spot for a while...add large discus...feed the altums in their spot, and while they are eating feed the discuss on the other side of the tank....I think it could work. I could just do one or the other though.

I have seen pics of discus living with angels before somewhere.

got CO2?
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

8 foot "river" tank would be awesome, esp with your aquascaping and plumbing prowess.

got CO2?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Putty, anything is possible, but Discus would do much better in that kind of setup if they were the only large fish... Besides.. wouldnt you rather have just more discus? :-)

I would love to have a big tank full of discus, with a large school of tetra's, and a school of cories for the bottom.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, you're right, I am just thinking about the possibilities of a tank that big. Kid in a candy store, you know. The good thing about discus is they will not eat your 3.50 a piece cardinals like altums would. I agree with tetras and corys, but would add schools of hatchet fish, black neons (just got some of these, and man do they color up nice) and some brass tetras (saw some at Big Al's the other day), those are beutyful fish.

got CO2?
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 02:30 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
GDominy: I am currently saving up for a 8 foot tank to put in my living room as a river tank for Hillstream Loaches
How do you set a river tank up? Are you just going to set it up with a few powerheads pointing in one direction? Hillstream loaches are very cool little fish, an eight foot river tank full of them would be awesome.
Do you know how much of a current or water circulation they need to be happy?
I'm just curious to know what you think because a guy at my lfs suggested them to me for my 20 gal, but I only have a penguin bio-wheel 125 and didn't think that would create enough of a current for them to survive.
sorry for all the questions.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They also like cooler water I believe?

got CO2?
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 05:37 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosko_22
How do you set a river tank up? Are you just going to set it up with a few powerheads pointing in one direction? Hillstream loaches are very cool little fish, an eight foot river tank full of them would be awesome.
Do you know how much of a current or water circulation they need to be happy?
I'm just curious to know what you think because a guy at my lfs suggested them to me for my 20 gal, but I only have a penguin bio-wheel 125 and didn't think that would create enough of a current for them to survive.
sorry for all the questions.
There is a great article over on www.loaches.com on how to set up a river tank. Basically you want to turn water volume over about 20x an hour, so I will need a couple of MASSIVE powerheads at one end of the tank... Connected to PVC pipes running to the far end where they will be capped with sponge filters. This will allow for water to flow in one direction only, and have large surface area for bacteria (and I can have the tank flush to the wall).

No Heaters needed as they are coolwater fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode