What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby? - The Planted Tank Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby?

It's my third month and i never see myself quitting it. Taking care of fish is nice and relaxing. I absolutely love to watch them.

I think people who quit were never into it too much.. I have read reasons that it takes too much time. Really? Quite often people like that don't have a skill to plan their time. They should get a tank with proper maintenance time/ size ratio.

What is your opinion about folks that quit?
Pearl_Gourami likes this.

I hope that you can cope with my bad english.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Can only speak for myself ,rather than contemplate why other's may retire from the hobby.
You gotta love all things fishy.
When I first began in the hobby nearly Four decades ago,there was not the easy access to info /experiences of other like minded folks that one can easily find on the web nowday's.
Lot's of early failures can turn many off I believe.
Much of the failures can be avoided more easily nowday's but you can't fix stupid very easily or instill your dedication on other's very easily.
If you truly love all things fishy,,you will strive to learn.
post #3 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What makes people give up on planted tanks? Algae would have to be #1....

post #4 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
What makes people give up on planted tanks? Algae would have to be #1....
Was maybe not the OP's question ?? But perhaps equally applied to both fishkeeping/weed growing.
post #5 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Seems a reasonable assumption though, that the OP at least in some way may have been including planted tanks.... given the website and forum he is posting in??
post #6 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Algae Grower

Well I just re-entered the hobby after quitting some years before.

My first tank I made to many mistakes as I didn't know quite what it would take. I had a light fixture that could grow algae well but not plants for instance. Thought doing DIY CO2 would be enough, but it wasn't and my plants still looked sad. Then I changed the substrate to something more nutrient rich, still not enough. And other problems cropped up along the way like a pest snail invasion I couldn't eradicate.

I'd say the main reason I scraped that first tank and quit was that I was to focused on what I eventually wanted it to look like, the end result, and didn't relax and enjoy the process. That plus too many mistakes in the beginning and was slow to realize it, so it was frustrating to see my plants doing so poor.

This time I've done a lot more research upfront, and I'm plunking more money down on things that will make the upkeep simpler and more enjoyable. Before I did water changes with buckets (I must have been crazy), now I have a python. Going pressurized timed CO2 instead of DIY, getting two Fennix LEDs so I'm not limited by light, etc.
post #7 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I've been in the hobby for almost 50 years. I had to shut it all down for about 3 years in the middle of that. In a nutshell, working 80 hour weeks, three small children, and a home to care for made it just impossible. When the people coming into work the next morning started to notice that I was wearing the same clothes as the day before, the fish tanks had become a non-necessity.
Cinnamonamon likes this.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #8 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Algae Grower

I had "given up" on fish keeping, but I returned to the hobby just a few months ago. I had not had an aquarium since approximately 4:31AM January 17, 1994. I was living about 10 miles from the epicenter of the 1994 Northridge earthquake in California. All three of the tanks I had at the time ended up on the floor and all of the fish I had died in piles of broken glass. You could say it caused me to loose interest really quick. The cost to replace everything was just too much at the time.

The biggest loss to me was a common pleco I named Charley. Charley was about 6 years old and almost 14 inches long. I paid 99 cents to get him when he was barely 1 inch long. Charley was the reason I had three tanks. I had to keep getting bigger tanks just so he would have enough room.
Jsin, Jsin, Pearl_Gourami and 2 others like this.
post #9 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:25 PM
Algae Grower

Moving, In my early 20's I moved alot, 4 times just from 18 - 23. I had several tanks over 75 gallons and it just became too much work to move the things all the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Tank wipeouts. Get to me every time.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #11 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:40 PM
Algae Grower

I had a tank about 8 years ago. I had it for about 6 months. I got back in the game about 4 months ago. I quit mainly because i lost interest. I was in a rolodex of different interests.
This time around, i have a simple maintenance plan, and a greater interest. Truth be told, i was always reading the forums for the past 8 years.
post #12 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Algae Grower

I think there are a ton of reasons that often boil down to tank failures, time, and money.

Tank failures are often either due to lack of research in the beginning, or misinformation while researching. Misinformation is a big one. For every "fact" you read about keeping aquariums, there is an equal opposing "fact". ____ fish is super peaceful and would never harm another creature | ____ fish killed every fish in my tank overnight. ____ substrate is the only substrate that grows plants well | ____ substrate sucks and will break down into mud in 6 months. ____ lighting is the only way to go. | ____ lighting is an overpriced piece of junk. Sound familiar? I see it every day in the forums and facebook groups. It often gets very ugly too - the amount of hostility and tantrums I see in facebook groups alone could put people off to the hobby.

The second one is time. People can't always predict the amount of maintenance a tank will take, and how much time they'll have in the future. I would've never thought this a few years ago when I started my tank (low stress job and no kids). Now, with a busy job and a 2 year old, there are definitely nights where I just don't feel like doing tank maintenance. I still do it because I have a successful tank that is great to watch, but if I couldn't get plants to grow and was having fish issues, it would be another story.

Last is money. This hobby can be expensive. People often try to go cheap and cut corners, only to end up with a failing tank. As a newbie, it's hard to know what you can go cheap on, and what you can't. For example, when I was starting out, I went with pool filter sand and root tabs. Everyone swore that it didn't matter at all. I tried and tried to get a plant to carpet, but nothing would spread. I finally got frustrated and went dirted (still cheap, but I had believed people who said it was a waste of time). Everything else the same, and I had a full carpet of HC in 2 months. Same thing with co2. I spent more money on alternatives to a pressurized system than it would've cost to just get one to begin with. I never had much luck with any of them either.
post #13 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I recently got back into the hobby and throuroghly enjoy that I made that choice. I had a few aquariums around 2008-2011. After that I moved a few times in apartments, got married and then bought a house. For me, it was time and money. At the time, my wife wasn't too fond of "yucky fishy water" either so that kinda discouraged it. She now offers to help me every time I do weekly maintenance and enjoys it almost as much as I do.

Its a very relaxing hobby for me. I can completely zone into it and lose track of time.
post #14 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think a tank wipeout would destroy me right now... would be hard to get back on the boat if that happened.

I just repainted my whole living room, I had planned for a week how I would catch all my fish, bucket them up, drain the tank.. paint the wall behind it and put it all back together.

The night before the big job I had a horrible nightmare where I killed my whole tank accidentally, and horribly.. Messed me up so bad moving the tank was no longer an option.. I tossed a blanket over the top of the tank and painstakingly painted the wall behind it with the little room I had and without touching the fish.. took 2 days, a few clever inventions and alot of yoga like poses to paint the 6ft wall correctly, but at least I was not all stressed out.. possibly getting paint on my tank was better than possibly stressing my fish to death.

The guy who lost 3 tanks to an earthquake; that would be extremely hard to come back from.. cudos for getting back into the game.
Jane of Upton likes this.

5 Gal Tropic Nano w/SunSun 603b,
post #15 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I grew up with tanks, had a 10 gallon my first two years of college and then kept a 10 gallon for a few years out of college. I stopped keeping fish in my early twenties because I was working a lot, had a crazy schedule (worked nights, weekends), longterm employment prospect was unclear (possible moves out of state) and because I was young and prioritized going out and partying.

I didn't get back into keeping fish until about 10 years after quitting, although I always had the itch and would visit stores to get my "fix." Glad I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode