What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby? - Page 7 - The Planted Tank Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:29 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Hey you are from Hell Michigan! Right down the road from me.

Used to spend quite a bit of time there and Silver Lake. Got a few old Hell MI bar t-shirts somewhere in a box in the basement. Saw your location and brought up some good old memories!
Nice! We actually have 2 bars in Hell now, and a great ice cream parlor.
Greggz and Cinnamonamon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 12:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
I would hate to see you give up. I'm sure that you've explored it ad nauseam, here and elsewhere, but here are a couple ideas that you might not have considered (without going too far afield from this thread topic):

- When I get the occasional algae expansion due to some disruption, and if the algae is susceptible to glut (red algae), I dose about 2 ml/gal of Excel to my tank for a complete knockdown. You may not be hitting it hard enough. I have posted, elsewhere, the preparation needed and process. Of course, killing it is only a short-term solution.

- There are environmental testing services that will identify the algae type. They can be expensive at around $100 but, if you're desperate, maybe it's worth it to you. Two that I have found are:
http://www.oakwoodlab.com/ and https://www.enviroscienceinc.com/

Thank you Deanna! Do you have a link to that thread or post? Id like to decimate this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
Thank you Deanna! Do you have a link to that thread or post? Id like to decimate this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just updated it.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...hc-advice.html
Post #6
varanidguy likes this.

post #94 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby?

All of our jokes and such aside I can see where some would be disgusted and desert the hobby.

Major algae, phish death, green water, disease, quarantine tanks etc... and I could write a novel here and we all know it.

Fear, observation, and experimentation are at the top in this hobby.

Fear comes in many forms.
Gassing phish, fertilizer routines, algae treatment, over feeding phish, substrate selection, the scale and measuring compounds, etc.....

Observation, many are new and expect instant gratitude with very little input or experience.
This is a journey and a learning experience not an Overnight Sensation!
(Notice the Frank Zappa pun).

Experimentation seems to be ongoing and most likely never-ending.

Stepping down from the "SoapBox" now.
Greggz and Pocho like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #95 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:24 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Mental illness is also another one. Depression sort of kills my urge to do anything besides... maybe lay on the floor or bed. But I'm working hard on treatment, and even if recovery's not linear, there's still hope.

I am crazy excited for when my betta ships. I like my derpy little newbscape.
post #96 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechibi View Post
Mental illness is also another one. Depression sort of kills my urge to do anything besides... maybe lay on the floor or bed. But I'm working hard on treatment, and even if recovery's not linear, there's still hope.

I am crazy excited for when my betta ships. I like my derpy little newbscape.
I know the feeling. My tank is my weapon Against depression though.
Greggz and Thelongsnail like this.

My tank journal.

post #97 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
School and work responsibilities over hobby... I've done it before when I started college. I was in the hobby before I went to school. Came back to the hobby after I graduate.. =)

It's not about being in to it, it's prioritizing what's more important first. It is hard for me though because the temptation was always there and I just had to suck it up. Being a full time student with full time job, hobby comes last..
Pocho likes this.
post #98 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 03:09 AM
Planted Member

I 've had some sort of tank for 50 years. There have been some breaks, most recently when we moved across country and I only had room to take my 6 gallon.

Now, despite running two demanding businesses (plus a disabled 12 yr old) with just my husband and me, I've been slowly setting up tanks again. First a 75 g Jikin tank, then the 6g Betta tank. I know I only have the bandwidth for one more tank and am going slowly because of money and time.

One great change in the hobby is the internet! I can so easily find everything I need from information to equipment to exotic snails, all I have to do is hit "Buy It Now" and it appears on the doorstep. That is simply epic to me, and helps keep me in the hobby. Otherwise, we live too remotely and the nearest LFS is several day's drive away.

But there it is, a little stream of fish running through my life all the time, ebbing and flowing but always present somehow.
post #99 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 09:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post

But there it is, a little stream of fish running through my life all the time, ebbing and flowing but always present somehow.
great line, fisherking!
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #100 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think it needs to be part of your lifestyle; what defines you in a way.

That's why aquascapes like Oliver Knott, George Farmer, Felipe Oliviera, etc. never quit. It's part of their life.

If you remove all the clutter from your life and focus on key items; I don't think you'll have reason to quit.
post #101 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
For me, right now, it's preparation fatigue, if that makes sense. Or the desire to want to see everything come out "perfect", whatever that might mean to you.

I've got a 125 sitting in the garage where it has been for months. Researching every little thing to try to get it right has become a chore and a second job instead of a hobby, and not fun or enjoyable at this moment.

I'm hoping that changes at some point, because I really used to enjoy this hobby.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Greggz and Fisherking like this.
post #102 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:47 AM
Algae Grower

Holy smokes, I've felt like giving up on it many times. I've killed 4 nano fish because I forgot to attach my prefilter, had to completely start over due to terminal algae problems... If there's a mistake to make, I've probably made it. At the end of the day, there is something just magical for me about having this little slice of nature in my city apartment. I love seeing the plants and livestock thrive, and with every mistake I keep in mind that that is one more mistake I'll never make in the future.

My other hobby is Brazilian Jiu jitsu, I'm a brown belt at the moment. I've competed in all the major tournaments, trained full time, and absolutely thrashed my body. I've inevitably faced injury, defeat, and all manner of things that could have made me quit. But I always go in, maybe even if I'm telling myself it is for one last time, and just enjoy what I'm doing. Remind myself of how good it feels and how far I've come. So far, I haven't quit.

I think it's the same thing with aquariums. There are so many potential disasters, but when I'm just watching the plants pearl or my Corydoras (my favorite!) root around, it's a simple pleasure. I've had to break down my tank due to moving apartments, but I can't wait to make some more mistakes

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
post #103 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleeFoxtrot View Post
Nice! We actually have 2 bars in Hell now, and a great ice cream parlor.
I'da thunk there was more than just two bars in hell fer when yer off shift from shovlin the coal! ;-)
CharleeFoxtrot likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

post #104 of 104 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 03:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

There's a lot of 'reasons' people give up the hobby. There's a learning curve and the avg Joe just sets up a tank w/o paying the dues. How many times do we see the 'I want a low/no maintenance tank'. Well, there is no such thing. Fish need to be fed every day. Filters need cleaning, water needs changing. Life steals people away and the fish suffer. Where's the SPCA?! (If they were mammals, there'd be arrests and fines). Most fish are relatively inexpensive...although I recently heard of a Koi that sold for $1.5m (who pays that kind of money for a 10 year old carp?!?!). Tropical fish could live 10-15 years, but most don't.
------
In any case, I suppose it's like a lot of hobbies....some come and go, others come and stay, some are real casual, others are real serious. I'm thinking most reading this on this and other fish related boards are fairly serious....at least for now.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode