What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby? - Page 6 - The Planted Tank Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #76 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
"what keeps us in the hobby?"
A burning desire to beat burr...
Greggz, Deanna and Ken Keating1 like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 04:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
That's too much work! I think it's more that we are, basically, all masochists.
Greggz, MCFC and Ken Keating1 like this.
post #78 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
For me, it is completely based on time. When I do not have time, this hobby will suffer. I spend hours on a Saturday to perform maintenance.
Greggz likes this.

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0

post #79 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 06:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

For me it’s my Bipolar that shifts me away. Though it’s the most therapeutic hobby for me. Watching the fish interact with their environment is the most relaxing thing IMO. But usually with my bipolar I fade in and out of interest with things but I’ve always kept the tank running. And usually when I take a step back it ends up becoming a really stable system too.

Though I will add the larger tank compared to what I had keeps me interested. With the light stocking it keeps itself much healthier and stable, even without input from my end. My 40g was a struggle but this tank is honestly a set it and forget it.
post #80 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Blasphemy!

You must come to terms with this.

Around here, @burr740 is Master Po...................and we are all Young Grasshoppers!

I'm pretty sure Burr once said to me "Seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions".

On second thought, that reference might not make sense to the youngsters here (under 50!).

Maybe this one is better............then we are all Daniel-San's.

------------------
post #81 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Who the hell is burr?

post #82 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

got into this 5 months ago as grandkid wanted a couple of fishes and i took it as a chore. 5 gallon tank but it seems I have to change water every 3-4days max as the Green algae starts to pop up.

Now it's a Hobby and am spending a whole lot for a couple of plants and fishes, man, there's a lot of stuff one can buy and I bit. lol, I ENJOY this hobby now, there has to be an upgrade of this or seeing results or this could become a chore as how I saw it from the start.

I'm half way into a wheel chair barring any falls that would shorten the time into it.
That's the End game for me, not being able to handle 2 gallons water changes back and forth.

Last edited by Pocho; 12-04-2018 at 08:54 PM. Reason: add picture
post #83 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:46 AM
Algae Grower

My firsts tank was a salt water and at first really loved it and slowly stared to get bored of it . Then I found my self wanting to go bigger and get more stuff and start a new build and got in to sumps and stuff making it more interesting. I had that tank for 2 years and then I had to move out of my parents House and couldíve t take it so I sold all of it . Then 5 years later I found out about discus fish and have to have them and it started all over for me . I find to stay interested in the hobby u have to keep adding stuff and changing out stuff on your tanks to keep it interesting. I find the build for me is more fun and seeing how it turns out . I just started my first planted tank a few months ago and love it but it does get pretty overwhelming I still have a lot to learn about them and I think thatís what keeps me going
Pocho likes this.
post #84 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
For many the path of enlightenment can be a slow road!
Whoops, that was my inside voice that came through, Sorry!
Greggz and slipfinger like this.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #85 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggz View Post
Blasphemy!

You must come to terms with this.
To be the best you gotta beat the best
Greggz likes this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #86 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 04:23 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Idk what you guys are talking about. Im still trying to get the damn wax off over here

post #87 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee739 View Post
What makes people give up on planted tanks? Algae would have to be #1....
My patience has almost been exhausted dealing with this black-ish algae that nobody seems to know about. I have found that h2o2 and Excel will kill it, but only if it's treated out of water. The stuff is really, really nasty. The same exact treatment while it's submerged does jack.
post #88 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 04:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
My patience has almost been exhausted dealing with this black-ish algae that nobody seems to know about. I have found that h2o2 and Excel will kill it, but only if it's treated out of water. The stuff is really, really nasty. The same exact treatment while it's submerged does jack.
I would hate to see you give up. I'm sure that you've explored it ad nauseam, here and elsewhere, but here are a couple ideas that you might not have considered (without going too far afield from this thread topic):

- When I get the occasional algae expansion due to some disruption, and if the algae is susceptible to glut (red algae), I dose about 2 ml/gal of Excel to my tank for a complete knockdown. You may not be hitting it hard enough. I have posted, elsewhere, the preparation needed and process. Of course, killing it is only a short-term solution.

- There are environmental testing services that will identify the algae type. They can be expensive at around $100 but, if you're desperate, maybe it's worth it to you. Two that I have found are:
http://www.oakwoodlab.com/ and https://www.enviroscienceinc.com/
varanidguy likes this.
post #89 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I don't know what would make me give up keeping boxes filled with water and stuff, I've had tanks in one form or another for 40+ years now. When I get to that point of giving up I will let you folks know
Greggz and slipfinger like this.
post #90 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleeFoxtrot View Post
I don't know what would make me give up keeping boxes filled with water and stuff, I've had tanks in one form or another for 40+ years now. When I get to that point of giving up I will let you folks know
Hey you are from Hell Michigan! Right down the road from me.

Used to spend quite a bit of time there and Silver Lake. Got a few old Hell MI bar t-shirts somewhere in a box in the basement. Saw your location and brought up some good old memories!
CharleeFoxtrot likes this.

------------------

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode