What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby? - Page 5 - The Planted Tank Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:11 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sometimes it can be frustrating when fish die out of nowhere and die so fast even when doing the right thing. Recently I purchased 6 small Harlequin Rasboras and they all died within 3 hours. It is a very well filtered cycled 20 long and I do all appropriate water changes. I have a betta living in there and he has been in and doing well for 3 months! I tried other tetras/barbs in there and they all started dying so I had to save them by moving them to outside ponds! I think what might be killing them is an aquarium ornament I purchased from Walmart!!! I removed the ornament tonight and it has a strange rubber smell! It upsets me but what am I supposed to do? Stuff like this makes me want to quit but I have to keep my head up. Oh and the plants in my tank have been thriving despite all this he## I am going through, I pick up the dead fish bodies once they die.
The Dude1 and The Dude1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Fish just don't get the respect that they deserve. I think people often get into fish keeping without enough awareness. They don't learn/understand the N2 cycle, tend to overfeed, and/or don't do sufficient frequency/volume water changes. And sometimes, they are just plain lazy and think they can have a no/low maintenance tank.
In some cases, sadly, the fishkeeper has to move and just can't keep fish any longer...or there's the fishkeeper that passes away with no one to care for his fish.

The eventual failure leads to an empty tank in a garage sale, Craig's list, or a fish club auction!

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg of a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #63 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
you just have to be in a pet store and hear the sales person say yea we have this 20 gallon set up on sale it has everything.Just take it home add water and fish and your ready to go..... epic failure...

post #64 of 104 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Ha!! Great thread!!
1. Girls... that'll do it. In my single days I had no time for fish. Work and girls!
2. Life.. divorce / moving. Lost all of my gorgeous mature Angel's and Rainbows in one move due to my wife forbidding me to set up the tanks until she figured out where she wanted things. She didn't realize the fish would die. She now makes my enjoyment of the hobby to a pretty substantial level possible. 265 gallon for the new house and a fish room and central sump filtration for display type tanks.
3. Columnaris, various protozoa (neon tetra disease), and mycobacterium (fish TB). I am hoping theaddition of a new high quality UV sterilizer will halt the deaths in my 150 gallon. I've lost maybe 200 tetras... Neons and Lemon tetras. I've treated with everything I can that are plant and invert safe. Spent alot in plants and inverts. If it does not work my only option is euthanizing all of the fish and bleaching ansterilizing the aquarium and everything in it and related to it.

Twin high tech 75's -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Number of factors; but big one is cost and difficulty. I don't think there's another hobby out there that requires this much investment in terms of money, knowledge and time. Also it's on your mind 24/7 as a lot can go wrong and sometimes it can be catastrophic.

As others mentioned, it can also be skill-level. How many times have you envisioned an aquascape and realized your reality pales in comparison to your vision.

Any other hobby, you can quit and come back with relative ease [fishing, golfing, etc.] In this hobby, it often forces you to sell everything.
post #66 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
What makes one quit keeping fish? They find something even more interesting to do! And that is prone to changing as we each do change, even when we don't really think about it. I knew I had changed when I stopped playing with cap guns. I knew I had changed when getting married was far more interesting. I knew I had changed when grandkids became more interesting. I'm far more interested in an RV and it sure doesn't meet the plan to drag fish tank along!
I think it's called something like "maturing"? We grow, we change!
post #67 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Others mentioned bad info causing epic failure, but I fell out of the hobby for a long time due to massive MDD (that's depression). I'm taking it back up to hopefully reclaim a hobby I once loved.

I also no longer keep the 90s style clown barf gravel aquariums as I did when I was a kid. So. Much. Cringe.
Thelongsnail likes this.
post #68 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:16 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

This is a great topic. I been on and off keeping fish since I was about 10, I had a 50 gal with an Oscar and other Cichlids. I'm 32 now. But maybe have around 4 years in trying to keep plants. Made every mistake possible and then some and still trying to find a balance. But I did tap out due to work and having a baby on the way along with 2 year old. Just got back into it about 2 years ago.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #69 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 09:23 AM
Planted Member

Been in the hobby since 1990. The only thing that would make me quit is money. It's an expensive hobby and being on disability with a limited income is hard.
post #70 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

For me, it would be the amount of research and stress that I find myself getting into, as well as outside factors. Lack of experience certainly comes into play, but sometimes you don't even know what you don't know. I grew up in a house full of tanks so thought I knew all the basics at least, but had never dealt with gh/kh/ph issues as the water back home is liquid rock. Here is the opposite, and I've found it difficult working out what on earth is going on and how to fix it, and don't deal well with losing/euthanising fish.

However, in the 17 years that my mum has kept fish, I've watched her deal with the following and bounce back - any one of these would have made me quit:
- Canister filter breaking and pumping ~100 gallons of all over the floor in the middle of the night. Hundreds of pounds of cichlids lost, carpet ruined, and the concrete floor took 6 months to dry out fully
- Neighbours spraying pesticides without telling us, wiping out a large shoal of synodontis in long and stressful deaths
- Having to euthanise an entire tank of fish that had been infected with fast-moving colmnaris
- Injecting steroids into the lateral line of a large Oscar every week, as he was suffering kidney failure, only to have to euthanise in the end. We'd had him for years after he'd been surrendered to her workplace after major neglect.
This isn't by any means a comprehensive list, but I have a huge amount of respect for her dedication and knowledge, especially as she only got into the hobby because I'd been obsessed with a friend's goldfish as a kid.

Journal

post #71 of 104 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
I don't think there's another hobby out there that requires this much investment in terms of money, knowledge and time.
Recreational airplane pilot? FIFA Ultimate Team manager?
Thelongsnail and Cinnamonamon like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -

(Retired)
post #72 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:15 AM
Wannabe Guru

Boredom can also play a role; you keep an aquarium for a couple years - realize the 'fun factor' wore off and now it's more a chore.

Like anything in life; the first few months with a new toy are the greatest. Then it quickly wears off...
post #73 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I haven't found a reason yet. Have had 1-4 fish tanks running continuously since I was 18 years old- Im 50 now.
Wherever I go they follow me.
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #74 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 05:03 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Gotta give you credit @Discusluv. This is a very relaxing hobby. I plan to stay in for a very long time
Discusluv likes this.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #75 of 104 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

For some, it’s bred into us. My father had a casual interest, for a few years, when I was about five. He’d take me on a bi-monthly visit to the LFS and I was always awed by the pretty colored fish. After a few years, he tired of it and turned it over to me. So, I inherited the family tank. I have one clear memory of a heavy tank cleaning when we were released early from school the day JFK was assassinated. Did lots of experimenting and found it fun. It’s been the same ever since.

I’ve always found one tank sufficient to satisfy my interest, without the burnout factor. I spend less than an hour a week on the tank itself and I think it’s important to minimize that maintenance effort as much as possible to avoid the chore aspect to it. I’ve had more and would shed them as I approached burnout. When I was a kid, my neighbor friend admired my tank so much that he started one. Then, his father got into it. Soon, there were eleven large tanks in his house (his father went crazy). I was amazed …and a little jealous. A year later, they were all in the trash. They burned themselves out. Good things come in small packages. My advice is to get good with one small tank and, if the interest remains after a year or so, slowly get bigger.

A corollary to the OP's question is "what keeps us in the hobby?"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode