What makes one give up the fish keeping hobby? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 103Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Going in too deep, like most hobbies. Getting over your head and not realizing how much you've spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I've had FW and SW tanks for about 44 years now, do something long enough and there's a good chance life will get in the way for a spell and we have to put things on the backburner.
If you love it enough you pick it right back up when life allows.
In all my years I think I have not had a box of water in my home maybe a total of one year combined.

120G mixed reef, 17G planted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

From what I've read/heard here are three main reasons:
1 - Stage of life where it is just really hard, e.g. when you are in college and moving every few months (this happened to me, specifically)
2 - Mass die off, either because you're not good at this hobby or just a freak occurrence -- either way it is discouraging
3 - No time due to children
Pearl_Gourami likes this.

post #19 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjm20 View Post
From what I've read/heard here are three main reasons:
1 - Stage of life where it is just really hard, e.g. when you are in college and moving every few months (this happened to me, specifically)
2 - Mass die off, either because you're not good at this hobby or just a freak occurrence -- either way it is discouraging
3 - No time due to children

I think 1 & 3 are kinda joined at the hip in most cases. If you just started a new family, the chances are your job is higher on the priority list than your tanks too. Tough to manage both in most cases.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freemananana View Post
Going in too deep, like most hobbies. Getting over your head and not realizing how much you've spent.
Oh boy! The subject of how much you "invest" in this hobby is a whole 'nother thread by itself. Please refer to my signature, lol!

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #20 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Planted Member

I haven't been in this hobby for a year yet and I've been ready to quit on a couple occasions.

Firstly from my naivety, and not understanding what a nitrogen cycle was, and how it affected fish.

Secondly after a tank crash. Finally thought I had it all figured out, fish were living, plants looked decent....then it all came crashing down....saved my betta and a plant or two.

I was ready to give up at that point. I'm glad I stuck to it. I stripped my entire tank down, got better everything (filter, heater, light, fertilizer), added a ton of plants and have been having some good success now for the past few months.

I was very close to jumping out of the hobby just as quickly as I jumped into it.
post #21 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushkill View Post
Oh boy! The subject of how much you "invest" in this hobby is a whole 'nother thread by itself. Please refer to my signature, lol!
I used that on my last hobby... it got me a new motor because it would last for years to come.

But really. People start buying stuff, run out of money, go back and count, realize they are way over their budget and sell everything off to try and break even since they can't finish. Very common in cars, I'd assume it is similar here. I see plenty of equipment marked as "Used, but never actually used" or BNIB (brand new in box).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #22 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 05:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think the fishkeeping hobby has advanced so much that we have so many new "toys" to equip tanks with, more types of fish, more types of plants, etc. I think that can sometimes be the downfall of beginners who do all this research and plunge head-first into high-tech tanks with demanding plants/fish.

It's easier to crash and fail when your setup is more complicated. And then you feel discouraged after all of the time and money you've spent.

That's just my two cents after taking a 10-year break. Coming back last year was a reeducation! I almost felt like it was too much to get back into. I kept my setup simple for cost and time reasons, and I'm glad I did.
post #23 of 104 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Wannabe Guru

For me it was motorcycles. I don't ride anymore and came back. Only gone about five years.
post #24 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 05:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Why would motorcycles shop you? ^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My tank journal =).
post #25 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post

New hobby was more fun and he moved on

post #26 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Having kids, moving, and a significant other are probably the three biggest factors. Usually when one of those happen though, it just puts our disease into remission for a while. Eventually kids grow up, and hanging out with your significant other isn't quite what it used to be. The disease will creep back up if the person ever loved their tanks.
Pearl_Gourami likes this.
post #27 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 08:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by treyLcham View Post

Long trips and evening rides dug into hobby time and tanks suffered so just stopped for awhile. Not saying you can't do both I just chose not too.
post #28 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:38 PM
Algae Grower

Gave it up in the mid 90s the first time. It was sad because the wife and I purchased a 55g as our first anaversary present to ourselves. Military life just made it difficult. Now I'm retired and we are settled in one place. Took us a few years but we got a 15g and put it in the kitchen. Just picked a 40g breeder ($1a gallon sale) just in case. Planning on 75g or 90g planted tank sometime soon. That's why I'm here. Lurking and learning.
post #29 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
Long trips and evening rides dug into hobby time and tanks suffered so just stopped for awhile. Not saying you can't do both I just chose not too.

Totally understand just was curious

My tank journal =).
post #30 of 104 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 07:07 PM
Algae Grower

Well I am brand new to all this but I have quit several different expensive hobbies over my life time, basically for the same reasons each time.

#1 Lack of time - Wife, young AND older kids, very busy / long work schedule, home and cars to take care of, pets, etc. Basically just living a life.

#2 Hobby expense and complexity - Lots of cool stuff in most hobbies and plenty of eye candy to buy and advertisers know how to sell. Then you find from item #1 that there is no time to use it all or get to it to work the way you thought it was going to work as it was more complex to use than you thought. Gets very frustrating to see what you bought and aren't using and kills interest.

#3 Large Amounts of Conflicting Information / Advise - As someone else already noted and I am seeing in these forums, always conflicting information. If you do research, takes lot of time to figure out the pros and cons as to how things work. Basically any forum (hobby or not) you go to now a days, it gets hot and heavy on conflicting opinions.

Still working on getting my first ever tank (planted) together but my wife had a nonplanted one for ten years and asked I wait until we finish the redoing the living room which will be completed by July. Focusing on as much simplicity as possible with simple maintenance, once the tank is established. Almost in retirement and I have more time on my hands now so #1 is no longer an issue. Going with a 20 gallon long and gravel only using combined ideas from Walstad and Barr with the back up to convert over to somewhat more frequent water changes if the ideas don't work. I have seen enough videos of successful tanks out that there that I feel confident I can make it work with adjustments along the way.

Time will tell!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode