GLA drop checker is possessed! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
GLA drop checker is possessed!

OK, my drop checker is evil. I have the GLA double drop checker , and it keeps popping off of the suction cup and all the solution goes into my water. This is the 3rd time in one week! Anyone else having that issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Oops, misread the OP...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Lnb
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Sounds really strange. I have three of them and never had a problem.

Seems like it's not seated properly in the suction cup. Try heating the suction cup in some hot water to soften it up. When it feels nice and pliable. Insert the glass nob and make sure it's all the way in. The fit now should be nice and tight. Unless the suction cup is the wrong size.

Do you have big fish that can knock it off?

If this doesn't work, contact Orlando. His customer service is unsurpassed along with other sponsors of this site. I'm sure he'll have an answer for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It's actually the drop checker itself popping out of the suction cup. This is a new setup tank so no algae yet.And no fish yet at all,only had the setup for 1.5 weeks.

But it's not the suction cup, as I mentioned. The drop checker is pushed all the way and seated securely (so i thought) in the little hole. I will try to heat it up like you suggested..good idea btw ...thanx.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:35 PM
Lnb
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub777 View Post
But it's not the suction cup, as I mentioned. The drop checker is pushed all the way and seated securely (so i thought) in the little hole. I will try to heat it up like you suggested..good idea btw ...thanx.
Got that. Since the glass is rigid and doesn't have any variable values it can't be the one causing this problem. The only answer is the suction cup.

Makes sense?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

alright, let's try this again, now actually understanding your problem You could use some fishing line to tie the drop checker to the cup... but that may not be a really great solution.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

LNB-LOL ok I agree with you. You just didn't know it...hehe
I thought, that you thought , that i said the ACTUAL suction part of the suction cup came loose from the glass. Ummm..miscommunication FTL!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Redfalcon- Yeah the fishing line could definately take care of that problem, but the fishing line isn't par of GLA's original design. OK i'm being a smartass, but seriously i wanted to know if anyone else had this issue. I just feel like an idiot, because there's not much to this lil thing.

I wonder how much of the solution in my tank is considered harmful? Three partial water changes in a week...meh. Shouldn't my activated carbon wich is only over a week old, take care of any chemical nastiness? I noticed a lot of bubbles at the corner of my tank when the solution spills out, so I scoop out the top "layer", but i doubt that does much.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Yes, I had that problem. After I refilled the solutions I took a CLOSE look and found that there was air in the nipple of the suction cup. I just put the suction cup where I wanted the drop checker and then "pumped" the drop checker in and out (don't want to get too carried away there!) to get the air out. I quit once the air was out.

Dan K.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's funny, becasue the 2nd time it happened i noticed that "little bubble" too. This last time i thought i had got all the air out, and put the checker in the suction cup underwater to prevent the air bubble. Maybe i didn't get it all out or something, but glad to know i'm not alone...cuz that would make me feel more dumberer.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

just remember, duct tape fixes everything!!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub777 View Post
That's funny, becasue the 2nd time it happened i noticed that "little bubble" too. This last time i thought i had got all the air out, and put the checker in the suction cup underwater to prevent the air bubble. Maybe i didn't get it all out or something, but glad to know i'm not alone...cuz that would make me feel more dumberer.
That would just make the "bubble" water instead of air. I dont know if it helps but I put mine together out of the aquarium with the suction cup dry and I wet the glass stem then inserted it all the way. It took quite a bit of effort to insert it completely.

edit:
Have you tried twisting it as you insert it?

[/off-rant]
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Lnb
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborne_r6 View Post
That would just make the "bubble" water instead of air. I dont know if it helps but I put mine together out of the aquarium with the suction cup dry and I wet the glass stem then inserted it all the way. It took quite a bit of effort to insert it completely.

edit:
Have you tried twisting it as you insert it?
I just assumed that everyone "does it out of the tank". Larger allowance for any error.

I agree, needs to be done out of the tank with the hot water.

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (71/100%)
My suction cup just keeps coming off the tank. Like it's had it's life. I suppose I need a new suction cup. What a hassle. I guess I don't really need it any more cause I haven't changed anything. The bubble count is still the same so the C02 should be the same, right?
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
That's funny, because it was never any real force to insert the checker into the suction cup,wether in/out of the water.

"Water bubble"...really? I did it inside the tank and tried to pull it off of the suction cup, and I couldn't do it , better than super glue!!!
No J/K , but it did take some force.

Oh and hey, how toxic is the soilution?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode