New planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question New planted tank

I just recently decided I was tired of my fake plants and took them out and replaced them with real plants. I made the mistake of buying an aquatic plant combo and ended up throwing them away because they weren't truly aquatic. I then did some research and ended up with an anubias coffee plant, an amazon sword plant, and an unknown plant that came in the aquatic combo but looks somewhat like a sword. I know nothing of CO2 setups or substrates. Will plants survive in just gravel with the fish? Or is CO2 and substrate a necessity? Also I have a picture of the mystery plant up and was wondering if anyone knew what it was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Lots of people start out with gravel and stock lighting. The anubias and the amazon sword should do alright in that situation.They may not grow fast, but they should survive. CO2 isn't a necessity at the start. At the beginning you can pretty much just plant the plants in the gravel and sit and watch.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
You could at least try to get some plant fertilizer tablets. You can get them at most pets stores, online.... You just bury them down in the gravel. They slowly melt, feeding your plants. They last several months. Make sure that you choose low light easy plants. The anubias and sword plants fit the bill well.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just set up a no CO2 tank for my wife's office. It is Eclipse-5 with 8watt kit light. Eco-complete was chosen as substrate. After a couple weeks, new leaves already started to grow out on anubias, which is a really easy plant.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode