Recommend a good diffuser for 75g. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Recommend a good diffuser for 75g.

I have a standard 75g tank (about 20in deep). Can you all recommend a good diffuser for this tank? I am currently using the Red Sea paintball setup with a reactor 500 blowing directly into my Fluval 305 intake. The output of the 305 is a homemade PVC "upsidedown T-shaped" spraybar that is about 6in from the bottom. I have 2 paintball tanks that I own so I can quickly replace one when it gets empty, however, I feel that my one weak spot in my planted tank is the reactor, even though it is aimed at my intake.

What do you all think and if you agree, can you provide links to some good reactors for this sized tank? Would a glass diffuser under the input work better or can I use a splitter and go with both method into both filters (I also have a Rena XP3)?

Ohh here is a picture of my tank setup:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:08 PM Thread Starter

The CO2 reactor is on the left and is blowing into the Fluval intake. The output for the Fluval is at the middle of the tank and it shoots straight foward. The right side is the intake for the Rena and my UV sterilizer.

By the way the Rena is a much better filter than the Fluval. More "universal" size, tubing. Better design does not bypass water and is forced to go through the filters. Within 24hrs after setting it up, my tank finally looked clear for the first time since setup. Before this I was using my Fluval 305 with a Magnum. It also does not shoot out a lot of crap after clean-up. My fluval always does. My one gripe with the Rena would be the latch used to detach the hose. I always feel like I'm about to break it when I push it back on.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
If you're looking for a glass diffuser I'd go with a Rhinox 5000 from Greanleaf or an ADA pollen beetle if money is no object. I almost forgot CalAqua has an inline diffuser that's pretty pricey also. Another thought and what I'm currently doing is using a needle wheel pump for my CO2.

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...user-17mm.html

http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co...user-5000.html

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/eq...diffusion.html

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I use a reactor for my 75. It can be had for a lot cheaper than the more expensive diffusors. I am currently using a brand name one, but I've DIY'd them for ten bucks too and they work just as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20L build in progress

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

my 75 (the old tank)
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

What reactor are you using and do you have a link? I'd rather not do a DiY for now.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff5614 View Post
If you're looking for a glass diffuser I'd go with a Rhinox 5000 from Greanleaf or an ADA pollen beetle if money is no object. I almost forgot CalAqua has an inline diffuser that's pretty pricey also. Another thought and what I'm currently doing is using a needle wheel pump for my CO2.
Where do you put the pump? Do you have a sump, or is is in line with one of your canister filters? If in line with a canister, do you just use the pump to suck water through the canister or do you have both turned on?

Do you have a picture of how you set this up with the CO2 and how it enters your tank?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
Algae Grower

I was using a glass diffuser with a redsea paint ball setup on my 75 G 30" tall tank for a while.

Just switched out to a 20lb tank and regulator setup with a Cal Aqua inline diffuser. IMO the Redsea is too small of a setup for a 75G. I was refilling the 20oz bottles every other week. Ended up getting several bottles so i could just swap out. Not that you asked but i thought ide just offer up my experience.

As far as diffusers go stay away from the Rynox. They are pretty cheep and at least for me i had to clean them every two weeks. They also never did diffuse evenly across the ceramic stone completely. Only just a small area of it was really working. With the cal aqua inline I still haven't had to really clean it yet and i think im coming up on two months with it now. Here is a youtube I made of what they look like if you arnt failure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErLYcw4lV2Y

Sure they are pricey but well worth it as there is less mantinence and they look pretty cool.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that video! I notice that the output is near the top of the tank and the bubble just float up. Would it be better to have it lower? It looks like you are doing about 2 bubbles/sec? Are you getting pearling from your plants?

Can someone with a needle wheel compare their mist to the video above?...and why is the Danner brand double the price of the X1000 one?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Danner's needle wheel pump is very nice in its quality. It comes with a venturi assembly and hose barb attachment. Also the shroud that encloses the impeller is bolted down tight. You wont have to worry about that coming lose.

The mist looks to be the same size, however the needle wheel packs a lot of punch considering how we use them. You really cant go wrong with either.

Its plumbing work on needle wheels that gets to some folks.

-O
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Orlando.

I started asking more needle wheel questions in the equipment thread, to try and nail down my tank needs and get a better understanding of the 2 and how to hook them up.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Your tank looks very nice I looks like you have no trouble at all..

-O
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Your tank looks very nice I looks like you have no trouble at all..

-O
Thank you. However, I am trying to grow some glossostigma in the foreground and they don't seem to want to grow. Some are getting yellowish and are melting. I am also seeing some melting on my crypts and my red tiger lotus. I am trying to rule out a nutrient deficiency, compacting around certaint plants (hydrogen sulfide gas bubbles), and/or not enough CO2.

I stuck a chopstick into the flourite around some plants and got some bubbles but not sure if it is hydrogen sulfide. I also dosed a bit more KNO3 but am afraid to add KH2SO4 since the sulfate can lead to the above. It's hard to pinpoint a culprit at this point. I hear glosso is finicky and likes a lot of CO2 and K. I think I have enough lights ~2wpg T5 on a 20" deep tank.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaaaaax View Post
Where do you put the pump? Do you have a sump, or is is in line with one of your canister filters? If in line with a canister, do you just use the pump to suck water through the canister or do you have both turned on?
My pump is inline with my canister on the outflow with the CO2 being injected through a reducer T right before the pump. Both are turned on. I tried to match the output of the needle wheel with my canister but the needle wheel actually moves a bit more water which has increased the flow into the tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Planted Member

I had the AquaMedic 500 reactor and it worked very well, but I was struggling with a GDA problem and it had to be completely broken down every week and cleaned...otherwise it was rather unsitely. I went to the Rex DIY PVC out of the tank reactor.

Very nice by the way, on the tank.

Victor PIMP #20 - SR253B-320

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode