How's this 75 gallon setup? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
How's this 75 gallon setup?

Hi, I'm planning on getting a 75 gallon aquarium. It's 48" x 16" x 21".

I will have it very heavily planted with:
- jungle vals
- wisteria
- java fern
- java moss
- pennywort
- crystalwort

It will be mostly planted with the jungle vals.

These are the fishes I'm planning on:
- 8 cardinal tetras
- 3 blue gouramis
- 4 siamese algae eaters
- 6 cory cats
- 2 bristlenose pleco
- 3 oto cats
- 10 tiger babrs
- 1 red tailed shark or 1 rainbow shark

That is also the order I'm planning on getting them. I'll buy each type of fish, 1 week apart. I know that tiger barbs are fin nippers and may nip the gouramis, but I'll have it heavily planted and they will be in a school of 10 so there shouldn't be any problems.

I'll have lots of driftwood and rocks.

The last thing I need to decide on is whether to use sand or fine natural gravel as the substrate. Does anyone know which one would be best for my tank.

Also, there may be a chance that I'll be getting a 90 gallon, at 48" x 18" x 24".

So what do you think about my plan?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
Some more details would be nice. Do you plan to fertilize (you should...)? Lighting, filtration, CO2, water parameters? A 75 would probably be better than a 90 because the shallower 75 is easier to light well.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:52 AM Thread Starter

Well, I'm not planning on CO2. I will be dosing Flourish Excel, 1 cap per 2 days. Planning on 2 lights. 1 hagens aqua glo, and 1 hagens flora glo. Added together, each 40 watts, would be 80 watts. Planning on keeping lights on for 10 - 12 hours. Probably 12.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 05:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)
If those lights are HOT5 you will need CO2. Otherwise, expect algae. Let us know the details of the light and we can go from there.

Also, excel is not a comprehensive fertilizer. You may consider fertilizer methods such as EI (estimative index) or PPS-PRO. What is your substrate?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

i've decided on sand as a substrate
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I wouldn't put in the shark, and tiger barbs are vevry iffy.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 12:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
That sounds good, but you should add C02 to your tank and excel is just a carbon source... Also sand is a good substrate which kind you planning to get?

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Click below
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

I'm not sure which type of sand i'm getting. What kinds are there? I want sand thats kind of the a gravely natural colour.

Does anyone how many inches of sand I need to fill in? I know gravel is 3 inches. Is sand the same? I will have live plants too.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah I would use 3-4inches ,sounds good to me.. There are a lot of sands you can get that are cheap and nice for example play sand or pool filter. Also you can use silica sand, 3m color quartz, and alot more. Just do some research and see which you like the best, hope you find a good one!

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
Click below

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode