New Tank Lighting\substrate help needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank Lighting\substrate help needed

I am new to this forum, I have ben keeping african cichlids for over 10 years and just started playing with planted tanks. I started with a 14 gallon bio cube low tech, but have decided to try my luck with high tech tank. I purchased a standard 75 gallon tank and plan to use 2 x Fluval 405''s for filtration and a GLA CO2 system. The problems that i am having now are lights and substrate.

For the lights i am thinking about a 48' SunPod
http://www.petmountain.com/product/light-fixtures/504061/current-usa-sunpod-14k-hqi.html?id=504061&gclid=CIDLn9_dlJkCFQG7GgodRifTa A#
or
I am thinking about LED light Galileo
http://www.aquacave.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=633
or
should i jsut go with a 2 x T5?

I am really looking for some expert opinions on these lights.

For the substrate i am jsut curious as to what everyone thinks is the best.

Thanks for all your help,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
IMO, the LED fixture will be a waste of money over a planted tank.

Go with 2x54W or a 3x54W setup.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Avi
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Well...interesting because you're willing to spend some good money so that isn't a limitation. The first of the two light units seems to come stocked with 14,000K bulbs which I'd discourage you from getting. For plants, you'd want a lower K-rated bulb...I personally would go with 10,000Ks though close to 6700Ks are generally considered the best for growth. They throw a very yellow color while the 10,000Ks throw a whiter light that I personally find preferable, but to some extent, it's a matter of taste so ask around and look around on that issue before you make a decision.

As for the LED unit. I don't know that I disagree with epicfish, that it's an awfully high price for lighting, but it is the "state of the art" and I like that if it's affordable for you. I can also tell you that despite the 20,000K rating on the lighting in the LED unit, I have seen them on a planted tank and the color rendition is very nice (and not hopelessly blue for a planted tank as 20,000Ks are, IMO) and the plants that are growing under them are growing very well and look great. So, from what I've seen with the LEDs, it's a good choice for you.

I'd add that I have six 39-watt T5 bulbs on my 36-inch 58-gallon planted tank. While I, like many other people do get good results from T5s, I personally think that you'd be better off with metal halides or the LEDs that you're considering. If I were to choose a new lighting fixture I'd go with MHs or LEDs. Just be aware that the metal halides do generate a lot of heat so if this is a potential problem in the room that your planted tank will be in, in the warmer months, stay away from the metal halides.

As for substrate, I can tell you that I recently tried the Amano two-layer substrate and it was downright awful for me in my experience. I pulled it all out and switched to Eco-Complete which has been terrific and I recommend that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode