LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
DIY Co2 production rate

so i just hooked up DIY Co2 to my 10g using
1 1/2 cup of sugar
3/16 tsp of yeast

it's been 30 minutes and i'm getting 1 bubble every 3-13 seconds does this sound right and/or will it speed up?

thanks,
connordude27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Usually the warmer the water the more bubbles you will get, but the c02 would not last as long if its very warm...

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
Click below

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

now i'm getting about 1 bubble every 4 seconds and the occasional stream of bubbles

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
Mine usually takes takes several hours to really start producing. I typically mix it up before I go to bed and let it ramp up over night. By the next night I am usually getting around 40-45 bpm.

[/off-rant]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i'm getting on average 2-3 bps at this point

does anyone know how long on average DIY lasts?

oh and heres the recipie i used

1 1/2 cups sugar
3/16 tsp yeast
1/4 tsp baking soda

all in a 16 oz bottle

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
so i just hooked up DIY Co2 to my 10g using
1 1/2 cup of sugar
3/16 tsp of yeast

it's been 30 minutes and i'm getting 1 bubble every 3-13 seconds does this sound right and/or will it speed up?

thanks,
connordude27
Yeast undergo several stages during their processes. They first undergo aerobic respiration, during which time they multiply (create "daughter" buds) to the level optimal for their nutritive solution, then begin anaerobic fermentation. The process of fermentation is itself non-linear, as yeast will work on different structures of sugars at different rates; additionally, as alcohol is produced and nutrients dry up, many yeast will die off and/or autolyze (ingest themselves, basically), and this is the period when fermentation and CO2 production slow considerably. It's true that higher temps encourage a higher rate of fermentation and faster attenuation (conversion of sugar to ETOH and CO2, along with other compounds).

One thing that I haven't seen too much of, and it would likely be too much of a pain to do, but has anyone considered creating a lager DIY system? Lager yeast, Saccharomyces carlsbergensis and its variants, and lager fermentation, is a slower, cooler ferment - with the upswing and downswing in rate much more muted. Anyone try a lager DIY, say, in a small fridge with an outflow to the tank?

"So far":
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

very interesting idea maybe 4 - 6 2 liters in a fridge with one outflow.......
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6
Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
all in a 16 oz bottle
Is that a typo? You should be using a 2L bottle.

[/off-rant]
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seconded on the 2L bottle. The less water, the more acidic the mixture gets over a shorter period of time. Eventually the acidity will inhibit/kill the yeast off.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakin View Post
Seconded on the 2L bottle. The less water, the more acidic the mixture gets over a shorter period of time. Eventually the acidity will inhibit/kill the yeast off.
Actually, the production of alcohol and the lack of available sugar would kill off yeast long before any changes in pH, and yeast prefers an acidic bath to play in, anway.

Yeast is pitched into acidic wort, for instance: wort and/or sparge water is often treated with lactic or phosphoric acid during mashing and/or sparging - not only to encourage saccharification (different amylases prefer different optimal pH, but generally, all prefer moderately acidic ranges (5.2-5.8) to convert starches to various sugars)) - but to also discourage an overly alkaline wort as malt yields up its sugars - an overly alkaline solution encourages the leaching of unwanted polyphenols and tannins from barley husks.

Bottom line is that yeast is pitched into an acidic solution, and during fermenation, beer continues to drop in pH, down to about 4.

"So far":
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Here is my recipe for DIY CO2. I have a 37 gallon tall tank and this recipe make so much CO2 that I have to run a canister filter at night to dissipate the excess CO2 or the fish will suffocate. Get a plastic 2 liter juice jug. Don't use a soda bottle the are no stable enough. Run your tap water as hot as possible. Fill the jug 1/2 full. Add 3/4 cup of sugar. Shake until the sugar is dissolved. I keep a spare juice bottle cap around for that part. Add cold water until the bottle is 3/4 full. If the water is warmer than body temperature, add a little more cold. Don't fool with yeast packets get a jar of yeast. Add 3/4 tsp of active dry yeast . Shake like mad. Hook it up. Repeat this drill once per week. Total time spent on this process drill less that 2 minutes. I have a Ehiem canister filter. I run my CO2 hose into the fitting where the diffuser tube connects to the outfeed tube. I adjust the slope of the diffuser so that the bubble run uphill from the water steam. If you mount the diffuser horizontally the bubbles will all blow out the near end. With the right slope you can make bubbles that would make a Guinness proud.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode