Tank glass turns milky? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Tank glass turns milky?

Hi.

I just torn apart my GEX nano tank (it is factory standard tank made of glass and has plastic rims).

Getting rid of pesky hard algae, I washed it off and fill in water and mix in some bleach. This always work on my glassware, and I assume this work well enough on the tank. And sure a day later all the algae becomes white and soft to remove. The tank is quite milky at this step (as so it is rather milky to start with anyway, even before the bleaching) and I think polishing will clean it.

The cleaning job continues straight to polishing the glass with my own recipe rubbing compound.
However, I ended up having 3 sides milky white and just 1 side that could be squaky, crystal clear both outside and inside (the outside of the tank also has a bit of water mark from spillage, and all are gone after polishing)

I'm so puzzled, as all sides of the inside part are subjected to exactly the same condition so far.

My best guess is, 3 of the sides are made from the same glass material, while the other one side is made of totally different glass material.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by medicineman; 03-08-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (125/100%)
If the tank is empty try steel wool or Brillo pads, this will clean the glass.
Hopefully the fog is not within the parameters of the glass.

If it is within the glass itself, then not much you can do.

Craig

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
As worse as I have thought.

I have tried those brillo pad, rubbing compund and none works. The milky haze seems to have merged with the glass itself.
Now I must get myself a new tank if I'm to re-did a tank of the same size.

My theory says 3 of the glass panels are made out of slightly different material, or by means of different manufacturing process. It is common for a large manufacturing company to obtain their pre-made parts done by several suppliers.
One of the glass can remain clear and looking handsome like new after good polishing. Probably is glazed glass or something.

Reminds me of glass container grade for chemicals/medicine.
They have certain different mix/manufacturing process to withstand regular medicine, highly corrosive liquids, strong oxidator, high temperature etc. You cannot use just any normal, cheap glass for certain condition.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode