A Noob ? and an averted disaster! (updated video) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
A Noob ? and an averted disaster! (updated video)

First the question? How do you catch one fish in a large planted tank? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I'm open to all answers. The particular fish that I'm trying to catch figured out that if he just heads to the bottom amongst the tall plants that he's safe. I gotta get him out before he infects any more fish!

Second, the near disaster.

So, I stuck my DIY Co2 line down into the foam that is attached to the intake on my power head. Well, apparently, I got it into the intake tube and it created a vacuum in the line. I looked at my yeast jugs, and they were imploding! The liquid level in the jugs was up to the caps, and some yeast mixture had made into the gas/water separator! (Glad I added the separator!)
Anyways, just an FYI to other noob's out there. I now have the tube inserted into a slit I made in the foam. It's under the intake so the bubbles still get sucked up, but it's a 1/4" or so away from the bottom of the intake tube so It can't create a vacuum.

Thanks in advance for any advice/criticism!

Aaron

Last edited by arn24; 03-16-2009 at 02:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:10 AM

PTrader: (47/100%)
Quote:
First the question? How do you catch one fish in a large planted tank? That probably sounds like a silly question, but I'm open to all answers. The particular fish that I'm trying to catch figured out that if he just heads to the bottom amongst the tall plants that he's safe. I gotta get him out before he infects any more fish!
Why would you say he's infecting the other fish? What does he have exactly?

Anyhow, there's a few things you can do:

1. Turn off your lights completely and come back 2-3 hours later with a flashlight or turn your lights on fast and catch him. Most fish would be asleep and he'll definately be much slower and easier to catch. However, this trick won't work for nocturnal kind of creatures, those that are naturally active at night.

2. Find a way to flush him out to one side of the tank and get dual nets to get him. But basically you'll just have to be fast to try to catch him. Cornering and slowly going in is a good idea. Only rush your net inwards when you're about 3 inches away from it. The idea is to not scare it by rushing in too early. You'll want to keep the fish as calm as possible.

3. Put some plant parts around the net, he'll think he's just running into a bunch of plants but in fact he's running into a trap that looks like a good hiding place. Yeah I know, it's a dirty trick but oh well...

What fish are you trying to catch?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, not exactly sure. One of my Red Eye's has a large, white mass in the side of him. It has gotten larger over time. At first, I thought it was an injury, but when another Red Eye got the same thing, I kinda ruled that out. I caught one of them, but can't get a hold of the originator.

I just went to try and get a pic of him, but now suddenly can't find him. It may no longer be an issue (catching him), although I can't find a body either. If he pops back out, I'll try and get a pic of it.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
3. Put some plant parts around the net, he'll think he's just running into a bunch of plants but in fact he's running into a trap that looks like a good hiding place. Yeah I know, it's a dirty trick but oh well...
lol... whatever works, right?

He's still in there, and that white/fleshy spot now covers 1/4 of his body. I havn't seen it on any of the other fish yet so hopefully he'll expire soon so I can get him out of there.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Maybe columnaris? It's quite common and can cause white splotches, particularly on gillls. Hard to tell without a picture though. When I'm trying to catch my guys, I get a small cup, wait until they come up to feed and then stick the cup in behind them so that the water *shwoop* sucks him into the cup. Wouldn't work with fish who are bottom feeders or are particularly agile. Worth a shot. I dunno though, I'd be concerned with it getting around to other fish--try posting a picture so we can help you identify what exactly it is. It would be a nightmare to have to treat an entire tank's worth of fish with broad spectrum antibacterial...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

He knows when I'm looking for him! Disappeared again! I'll keep the camera ready 'case he comes out.

That's a good idea with the cup.

Thanks!

Aaron

My Journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jebao Canister Filter Pimp #1!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Alright, I got a really crappy better good video of him. If anybody want's to venture a guess as to what that is, go for it. Towards the end of the video he comes out into the light for a second and you can kinda get a glimpse of his drivers side rear quarter panel that seems to be infected.

Thanks for trying, and again, sorry for the vid quality. I'll keep trying to get a better one. GOT IT!

Aaron

My Journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arn24; 03-16-2009 at 02:52 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
i use my net and gravel vac one in each hand and chase the fish with the net into the gravel vac, since the gravel vac tube is clear the fish doesnt see it and gets stuck inside. This is how i got my SAE. and believe me they are hard to catch
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Algae Grower

That's hard to see Is it fuzzy? Scales missing? Bulging? Spotty? Just discoloration of a scales?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM

I can't tell with the video, but I've had tetras die from having a white splotch on them that eventually took over their body and killed them. I really don't know what it is but I've heard stories of other people who had this same problem with their tetras. It may be an unidentified disease only tetras are susceptible to.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
That's hard to see Is it fuzzy? Scales missing? Bulging? Spotty? Just discoloration of a scales?
I would say it is not fuzzy, scales are missing, bulging. It looks like the scales are gone and the flesh is decaying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightSky View Post
I can't tell with the video, but I've had tetras die from having a white splotch on them that eventually took over their body and killed them. I really don't know what it is but I've heard stories of other people who had this same problem with their tetras. It may be an unidentified disease only tetras are susceptible to.
It's weird that you say that because this fish passed it to another Red Eye, but none of the other fish have gotten it. I caught that one (he is no longer with us...) and I'm gonna try all the suggested methods to catch this one. If I catch it, I'll photo it before he takes the ultimate water park ride!
....or maybe I should send it to the CDC?
JK

Aaron

My Journal

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Algae Grower

Eep, if you're going to euth him, please either use clove oil or blunt force trauma kill him first. Flushing or freezing live fish is less humane than a lot of people would like to think. How you deal with your fish is up to you, of course, but here's a thread on betta euthanasia: http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=15737
These techniques can of course be applied to other fish. It doesn't take very much effort to be as merciful as possible.

There is a disease called specifically "neon tetra disease" that involves paleness and the appearance of cystlike growths in neons and other fish, even angelfish and such can be affected. I hope that is not the case, since there appears to be no straightforward treatment.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
Eep, if you're going to euth him, please either use clove oil or blunt force trauma kill him first. .
Sorry, I should have followed that statement with a JK. Although, he's been sick for 'bout 3 weeks now, so even an hour in a sewer may feel quick. I'll do it as humanely as poss.

My Journal

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, I didn't mean to seem insensitive or presumptuous, but a large amount of people simply think that it is a humane way to euthanize and are surprised to hear that fish can live in pipes for a period of time before they die a terrible death from chlorine poisoning. Just trying to be helpful and informative.

Crushing their skulls with a hammer is sort of violent and unpleasant for the owner, but it's quite quick. Personally I keep clove oil on hand 'cause this sort of thing just happens when you keep fish, and I'm a squeamish sort of person. You can find it in the dental section of most pharmacies and the link posted contains dosing instructions.

As far as the disease, perhaps if you looked around at some pictures of neon tetra disease and columnaris you might be able to identify or rule those out.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I was able to get a better video of him. He'd like a second opinion from and Drs out there (except Fosters and Smith).

Thanks for the help!

Aaron

My Journal

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode