Going around in circles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
kor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going around in circles

Sadly the plans for the 55g tank have gone on indefinite hold for space reasons. Fortunately, there's room for a smaller tank, no more than 2' long. That presumably means a 20g (tall) tank. The problem is lighting. Stock lighting doesn't look like it's going to be enough, and none of the other options look right either. I've seen a 24" compact fluorescent fixture, but that puts out 65W. If the 100W of T5 was too much for the 55, then 65W of CF is presumably far too much for a 20g without CO2. There are also 24" T5 fixtures available, but those put out 48W, almost certainly too much as well.

Is there a happy medium somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 20g tall with a 48w T5 fixture on it, and with only excel as a carbon source, haven't had any problems. Pretty high plant and bio-load.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
kor
Algae Grower

Do you run all 48W all day, or run only 24W for most of the day and just burst the other 24W around noontime?

Any other suggestions for lighting suitable for non-Co2 for a 20g (tall)?

Thanks again!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can always go back to basics: use a couple of 24 inch T12 or T8 bulbs, with a white painted "reflector". Why go for high tech lighting for a very low tech tank?

Hoppy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
kor
Algae Grower

Hoppy - because I can't find dual T8 or T12 fixtures for a small tank, while oddly it seems that 24" T5HO and PC fixtures are everywhere.

If there were a (reasonably priced) tank-mounted (can't do something that hangs from the ceiling) T8 or T12 dual bulb alternative, I'd be all over it. Actually, to find something like that was my motivation for making this post in the first place. I've seen such things for larger tanks, but never for small ones.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
you could also do a 'normal' T5 fixture (not the HO). Here is a link to one, but its Salt Water which means it has an artinic bulb and a 10,000K bulb.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight24

There are also T8 fixtures on there as well.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
The Drs has some:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=13612

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:10 PM

Nova makes a T5 HO that is 2x24w 24" (48w total). One lamp is 10k full spectrum one is a fresh water (pink). If needed you could remove one for just over 1wpg until things start growing, then think about adding the second light.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Careful about removing bulbs from a fixture with mulitples... my fixture does not run on just one lamp. It may have something to to with electronic ballasts, but I'm no expert here.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
kor
Algae Grower

@tazcrash: That's an interesting alternative, but the problem with such a dual hood is that it's not meant for open-tank use - it requires a glass top to sit on. Is there any similar alternative that's meant for an open-top tank? Or should I just give up my notion of running open-top?

@jjp2: Also an interesting suggestion, but I don't see a whole lot of T5NO replacement tubes - when one goes out on that fixture, how do I replace? As far as I can tell, drsfostersmith don't carry any?

@dmaxxxx: to address Regloh's question, do you know if that particular Nova light can run with only one bulb?

Thanks again!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode