first 2 hours only 2 bulbs one 10k and one 67k no co2
next 4 hours will be all four on with co2 at 30 bbs
last 2 hours 2 bulbs one 10k and one 67k no co2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Why are you planning on no Co2 when you are running two bulbs only? With the amount of lights you have, even with just two bulbs, I believe you are asking for trouble unless you run the C02 for the full photoperiod. A 5 lb tank will probably last you several months even running it for the full period so you really want be saving any money. Your plants will be happier!

Are you planning on running the HOB and the XP1? The Rena is way to small for the tank by itself. If you are running both you might want to consider modifing the HOB so there is no splash which will outgass your C02.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaubert View Post
things i need to order
rena xp1

so here goes the questions
how long should i weight to dose ferts
what ferts to dose
what test kits should i buy

my lighting schedule will be 8 hours
first 2 hours only 2 bulbs one 10k and one 67k no co2
next 4 hours will be all four on with co2 at 30 bbs
last 2 hours 2 bulbs one 10k and one 67k no co2
Personally, I would go with nothing less than an XP2. I run an XP2 on my 29 gallon tank, and it is perfect. Anything less, IMO would not be enough.

I would start dosing ferts as quickly as I added plants and started running the system.

As far as the ferts to dose, I would use NPK (nitrogen, Posphate, and Potassium) as well as micro nutrients CSM + B.

I just purchased these ferts from http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/aq...ertilizer.html

Macros:
Potassium Nitrate (KNO3) 2 lbs
Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) 2 lbs
Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4) 1 lb

Micros:
Plantex CSM+B lb
Iron Chelate (optional, I need a tad bit more iron for my system) lb, if buying.

The only reason I suggested amounts was based on what I buy at a time. Those amounts roughly last me a couple of years or so.

I dry dose the macros into my tank following the EI method. and I use one of the 500 mL Fertilizer dispensers to premeasure my micro mix. I make the mix up with distilled water.

You can also purchase those ferts from other sites such as aquariumfertilizer.com

On another note, since you haven't purchased a regulator yet, I would strongly consider a better model if I were you. I have the Milwaukee regulator that you are considering buying, and I wish I had bought a better one with a better needle valve right from the start. Just my opinion, nothing else.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Why are you planning on no Co2 when you are running two bulbs only? With the amount of lights you have, even with just two bulbs, I believe you are asking for trouble unless you run the C02 for the full photoperiod. A 5 lb tank will probably last you several months even running it for the full period so you really want be saving any money. Your plants will be happier!

Are you planning on running the HOB and the XP1? The Rena is way to small for the tank by itself. If you are running both you might want to consider modifing the HOB so there is no splash which will outgass your C02.
I agree with bugman. Ditch the HOB filter. It won't do anything for you other than cause your evaporation rate to increase as well as negate some of the CO2 injection. Been there, done that.

I also agree with bugman with regards to the CO2 injection. If you have any of your running your lights, the CO2 should be going if you are using a timed lighting system.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
im planning on running both with just foam and bio max no carbon.
with 2 bulbs running im only at 2 wpg witch is low light so why would i need co2.
i would like to run co2 start slow first couple hours then higher then slower like the sun starts out kinda shady the sunnier and sunnier the shady. when you watch a flower in the morning its all closed up then opens as the day goes by then closes up again.
just my thoughts maybe im just nuts
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

the reasoning im going with the xp1 and the Milwaukee regulator is tight on cash. the last storm that went through here took off some shingles and ins. only covered 5400 of a 6800 bill for the new roof granted im upgrading to a better shingle (from a 25 year 3 tab to a 30 year dimensional) . and when i upgrade two a xp2 i can put the xp1 on my 16 gallon bow front
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
im planning on running both with just foam and bio max no carbon.
The problem with the HOB isn't the carbon, it's the way a HOB empties into the tank. Unless you keep the water level up to the top of the tank daily then a HOB almost always creates a pretty decent water disturbance. This disturbance at the surface outgasses the Co2 that you worked so hard to put in. This is why I suggested modifying the filter. Some people have attached a lip to the outflow of the filter allowing the water to enter the tank without the splash. A lot of people consider two filters a plus.

Quote:
with 2 bulbs running im only at 2 wpg witch is low light so why would i need co2.
Co2 is beneficial to plants no matter what the light level. It cost me $9 to fill a 5lb tank and they last about 3 months on my 55's. At roughly $3 a month vs maybe $1 a month my suggestion is to run the Co2 the full period you have lights on. The plants will be appreciative and it is a extra hedge against algae.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 02:57 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Its pretty easy to prevent the HOB from creating lots of agitation. Get a sheet of filter floss and let it hang down the waterfall ramp thing. I did that with an AC110 because the tank has a sump which keeps the water level lower than I would otherwise have it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

i understand about the co2 for the hole light period but i dont want to be trimming weekly ether. as for the carbon i think it sucks up some of the plants nutrient in the water
I still need to know what parameters i need to keep my ferts at and what test strips to buy. and what is ei method anyways
All help is appreciated
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

here is a pic of it so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fish tank 018.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	12459  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode