Any good LFS in SF area? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Any good LFS in SF area?

I'll be in the San Francisco area this weekend, and besides visiting AFA I wanted to know if there were any other good LFS to visit...probably pick up some plants and/or shrimp. Also wondering if the plants or shrimp would survive a 3 hour drive or if there's anything I need to do on my part. I'll keep checking back here for replies even when I get there. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
The list epicfish posted is pretty comprehensive. Make sure you check out Ocean Aquarium on Cedar Street. One of the most unique LFS on the planet. For plants AFA, Albany Aquarium and Ocean are your best bets in that order. Three hour drive should not be an issue if things are packaged properly at the store.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:26 PM
Banned

PTrader: (24/100%)
Not sure if they are still around, but Nippon Goldfish Co. use to be top notch. I worked for them in High School..

Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Exactly what Captain said,

AFA and Ocean are an absolute must, and if you're willing to venture about 20 minutes outside of the city, Albany Aquarium is just as fantastic. I'm lucky, Albanay Aq is on my home from work.

Those are the Top 3 in the Bay Area.

Great fish and plants at Albany and AFA, great fish and ambiance at Ocean

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__
__
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshfanatic View Post
Not sure if they are still around, but Nippon Goldfish Co. use to be top notch. I worked for them in High School..
Still around. Down on Broadway. I've bought a few plants there. Everything seemed over priced. Good selection, though. Not as good as AFA or Albany, though.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
SF Gate has a short interactive story about Ocean Aquarium on their site.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&sn=040&sc=679

Justin also has a blog page where he posts new arrivals. There is a link on the page to pictures of some of his fish and tanks.

http://oceanaquarium.blogspot.com/
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys...looks like ocean aquarium is a spot I have to check out! I may also try Albany.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 03:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Aqua Forest Aquarium, Ocean Aquarium, and Albany Aquarium you MUST visit. Ocean Aquarium may be a bit hard to navigate through and to find (it's hidden in an alley, and inside it's very narrow), but the tanks are awesome.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

AFA was definitely on my list of places to go since I've already spent so much on equipment from them....I'll hit up Albany on the way home.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalnerd View Post
Still around. Down on Broadway. I've bought a few plants there. Everything seemed over priced. Good selection, though. Not as good as AFA or Albany, though.
Really? They're back? Is it the same family who ran the original Nippon Goldfish on Geary for years? The Geary store's closing broke my heart. I loved that place.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
Where on Broadway? I tried searching for it on Yahoo yellow pages and nothing came up. I used to go to the store on Geary all the time.

Kathy

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalnerd View Post

Sure you aren't talking about Lucky Goldfish?

__
__
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhart View Post
Sure you aren't talking about Lucky Goldfish?
Yeah. That's the one...sorry, thought we were talking about the same shop.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks to all for the list of stores to visit. I had a great time in SF and visited AFA, Ocean, and Albany. I was really inspired by AFA's aquariums and the people were great and friendly, as such with Ocean's and Albanys. I think I like Ocean's was the best despite having to use my iPhone to navigate to it...the owner was really friendly and help answer a lot of questions, plus he had a lot of rare fish I had never seen physically before. I would drive back up there just to visit his store. AFA was doing maintenance at the time I was there, but if I were to buy shrimp it would be from there...they had two tanks of Crystal Red Shrimp that were gorgeous, and the plants were nice too. If I were to only buy plants it would be from Albanys. The guy there was friendly too and he educated me on a plant I had been meaning to ask here about but didn't know what it was since I'm a noob. (Sag, Subulata). Could've gotten some fish from Ocean's but I know my tank isn't ready yet and he let me know it too. Again thanks for all of your help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode