Cloudy water problems again.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (9/100%)
Exclamation Cloudy water problems again..

Can someone help me with my cloudy water issues?
I think it has to do with my Fertilizer dosing, but when I try to get into detail about what might be the problem, no one responds to my post anymore.. I just get simple answers like dose more or dose less.. I think there is more to it then that and would like if someone with more advanced knowledge help me get some answers please.

Maybe dosing Iron with my other fertilizers, or maybe dosing too much of one type of fertilizer? Before I started dosing my tanks with fertilizers I only got green water 1 time in 6 years, now I get it every couple months..

Here's the link with all the details:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...d.php?t=184888
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag1980 View Post
I only got green water 1 time in 6 years, now I get it every couple months..
Question: Is green water starting up shortly after a major pruning? re-scape? or overhaul?
That's when it woulds happen for me if I didn't do a major water change after.

And just to make sure, It's a green water issue, not a cloudy water issue (different problems).

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

It happens about 3 weeks after I do anything major to my tank. Not sure if this is because of that are not, but I do allot in my tank because my tank is so small and my plants grow so fast.

My ammonia level was at 0.0
My water is a green cloudy type of tint, not a bright clean green, kinda hard to explain. Like pea soup, how it kinda has a whitish tint. Does that make sense?

How would I be able to tell what the difference was, that would help allot.

During the start of the day it will get a thicker green throughout the day.

If it is because of dosing too much, I'm not sure where to cut my dosing in half? cut each dosing in half or only 1 or 2 ferts or?
Dosing iron with Potassium I think I heard can cause cloudy water?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Scoop some water out into a white cup/container. This will make it easier to tell if it is green water or not

Mike

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Seems to get thicker as the day goes on..It was worse before I did a 65% water change a day or 2 ago.
I just gone done doing a water change after I took this picture

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

OK, not green water,

Looks like a bacterial bloom to me. How often are you changing the water?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

45% every thrusday

What's a bacterial bloom?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Possibly the water changes are feeding the bacterial bloom.
Wait: Out of curiosity, do you dose Iron, and Phosphate at the same time?
Or do you have high phosphate levels in the tank?
Combing those 2 can cause precipitate, making the tank look cloudy.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert H View Post
I can't open your link, as I am not a member there. But, here's some thoughts for you - if you have test kits for NO3 and PO4, calibrate them, so you know that they will read accurately, and check out your water. If above, say 30ppm NO3 and 3-4ppm PO4, do a major change and get your levels down to 10-20NO3 and 2-3 PO4. You do not want to dose macros and micros at the same time if you're dosing EI. Some folks with PPS do so, but the levels dosed are much lower with PPS than EI and iron will react with phosphates and give you cloudy water.

Use the fertilator on this site to figure out how much to dose and try the following: At water change add enough NO3 to achieve 10ppm, and PO4 to get 2ppm, mid week repeat that doseage. For potassium (K), add an equivalent amount weightwise or teaspoon wise as you add NO3 (if you add 1/2tsp of NO3, add 1/2 tsp of your potassium source). Then add your micros on the days you don't add the macros. On the seventh day, do your water change, and start again. HTH.

I use Fertilator. Seems to be dead on accurate with my test results.

Here's my tank dosing info that I have been using:

27 Gallons of water
7 Day Dosing Guideline for High light and well planted 29 gallon aquarium.
tsp KN03 3x a week =Friday, Sunday, Tuesday Gives 7.8 per dose - Target 10-20ppm
1/64 tsp KH2P04 3x a week =Friday, Sunday, Tuesday Gives 0.6 per dose Target 0.5-2.0ppm
1/16 tsp K2S04 3x a week =Friday, Sunday, Tuesday Gives 6.92 per dose Target 10-20ppm
1/16 tsp CSM+B 3x a week =Saturday, Monday, WednesdayGives 0.17 of Iron per dose Fe Target 0.1ppm
1/32 tps Iron =Fri, Sat, Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed Gives 0.13 per dose Target - 0.1ppm
50% weekly water change = Thursday
Lighting is about 8 hours per day.
Co2 drop checker is always light green
I rinse out my filters once a month with 75*f water
My sand substrate stays very clean and I almost never need to use the siphon to clean up anything.
Fish:
1 3" SAE
3 Scarlet Badis
4 Young Badis Badis
3 Pygmy Cory's
2 Oto cat
2 Amano Shrimp

When I tested my water the test read right at what I should be according to the target ranges and what I 'm dosing in my tank. I'm at about mid range to the target ranges on the 7th day before I do water change. Also, on day one I'm right at where I should be by what I dosed matching up with the Fertlizer calculator.
The only test that I can't test for at the pet store is K Potassium.
Test kits are very expensive at $17 for 1 test kit..

So I'm thinking it has something to do with the Iron I dose when I dose the Macro's like what you said above or my Potassium levels are to high?
2 Red colored crypts I have melted and my Belem's are very affected when this happens.

What do you think?

Seems to get thicker as the day goes on..It was worse before I did a 65% water change a day or 2 ago.
I just gone done doing a water change after I took this picture

I haven't dosed my tank in about 3 days, but I have my Co2 tank come on still.

The color is only a little bit of green tint, more milky white it seems.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag1980 View Post
I have been dosing both at the same time.
Try separating them, and let us know.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I will try that, thank you for your help. I will post again with my results

I updated my post above your last response.
It is a copy and paste on another forum I posted on responding to someones sudjestion
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

OK, as you said, CSM+B has some iron. Dose the iron on the same days CSM+B. Iron is a Micro.

Quote:
What's a bacterial bloom?
BTW, bacteria bloom is basically just the bacteria having some excess nutrients, being really happy, and reproducing like mad.

Although I really think it's the Iron & phosphate, so like Bert said, Keep your micros, and macros seperate.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Great, thank you for your help

I have been dosing just a tiny bit of extra Iron on my Macro days from what is shown on my schedule, which gave my mixture a extra unwanted boost which must have triggered this problem. I thought Iron was suppose to be dosed everyday is why I added to my dosing schedule on Macro days. I will remove it from my Macro days and see what happens.

Out of curiosity, any idea what causes my Belem's to react so badly when this happens?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode