55 gallon do over.... comments? suggestions? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 05:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
55 gallon do over.... comments? suggestions?

Mods, I'm not sure if this belongs here or not but I have questions on several topics so I opted for the general discussion forum. I won't be offended if you decide to move it elsewhere.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/IMGP0763.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/IMGP0764.jpg

Where to start? I suppose I'll start with as many details as possible. My tank has been set up for about 2 weeks. I tore it down and restarted it after having great success with it for 1 1/2 years before it started having some slow growth and cyano issues.

- 55 gallon tank w/ 1 1/2" topsoil and capped w/ 1 1/2" fine Red Flint gravel (less than 3mm)
- Pressurized CO2 injected at Filstar 3 intake (drop checker is light green) CO2 starts 1 hr before lights turn on and stops 1 hr before they turn off
- Filstar 3 (sponges and ceramic rings) and a Maxi-jet 900 for filtration and circulation respectively
- CFL lighting (12,000K bulbs) 8 hrs total exposure broken down as follows: 65 W for 8 hrs, 190 W for 4 hrs, and 325 W for 2 hrs
- EI ferts w/ 50% weekly wc w/ 3:1 RO:tap
- pH 6.2
- tds 275 ppm
- ammonia 0
- nitrites 0
- nitrate 20-30 ppm (calibrated)
- KH 3
- GH 7-8
- i don't have any more test kits

Bioload: 18 or so Von Rio tetras, 6-8 otos, 6 Corydora schartzei, 1 pr. Crenicichla compressiceps, 2 sub adult Ancistrus sp. (bristlenose), and 1 SAE

Flora: 1 C. wendti, 3 C. balansae, 1 sm. mellon sword, 8 pygmy chain swords, 50 or so glosso, 3 sm. E. amazonicus, 24 or so R. indica, 6 stargrass, 6 L. sessiliflora, 6 L. peruensis, 1 lg Crinum calamistratum , 1 Nymphoides sp. 'Taiwan', some frog bit, and some floating as well as planted wisteria.

My plants' health seems to be good except that my planted wisteria has some tattered leaves which could be a result of adapting from floating two weeks ago to being planted now. My frog bit isn't flourishing but there is a fair amount of flow at the surface. Also my star grass has thin stems near the base.

I know it's only been set up for two weeks but any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. I would like to switch from using and r-o/ tap blend to using straight tap but the consistent high pH (8.5) from the tap is somewhat of a concern. Even my r-o/d-i (0 ppm tds) reads 8.5 after sitting for a day. My city's water (based on the report I got from them) seems like it would be good enough for plants but I haven't yet convinced myself of this.

I'm thinking also of changing my lighting to 6700K or 8000K to see if I get better a growth rate as mine seem a bit slow. I don't have any pearling but I'm not as concerned about that as I am about my seemingly slow growth rates. More CO2 via a reactor? Higher doses of macros? More plants? Less light?

My city's water report:

*Asbestos L>10 um um
Alkalinity, pheno 2
Alkalinity, total 70
Calcium 30 mg/L
Chloride 7 mg/L
Chlorine, Free 0.3 mg/L
Chlorine, Total 2.5 mg/L
Cyanide, Total < 0.001 mg/L
Fluoride, Total 1.2 0.10 mg/L
Hardness 94 mg/L
Magnesium 60 mg/L
Nitrate + Nitrite Nitrogen, Total < 0.05 mg/L
Nitrate Nitrogen, Total < 0.4 mg/L
Nitrite Nitrogen, Total < 0.01 mg/L
pH 8.5 pH units
Phosphate, ortho 0.03
Phosphate, total 0.82
Solids, Total 128 mg/L
Solids, Total Dissolved 10 mg/L
Sulfate, Total 9.3 5 mg/L
Temperature 14.1 C

Metals
Antimony < 0.60 ug/L
Arsenic < 1.5 ug/L
Barium < 20 ug/L
Beryllium < 0.40 ug/L
Cadmium < 0.50 ug/L
Chromium < 10 ug/L
Copper < 50 ug/L
Iron < 50 ug/L
Lead < 1 ug/L
Manganese < 20 ug/L
Mercury < 0.01 ug/L
Nickel < 10 ug/L
Selenium < 5.0 ug/L
Silver < 5 ug/L
Thallium < 1.0 ug/L
Sodium 4.2 0.50 ug/L
*Zinc

thanks for putting up with my long post and thanks also for any comments and suggestions you may have.

stu

Last edited by nkambae; 03-05-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: forgot something and can't spell very well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

class... anyone... class...

I just noticed my Ludwigia is losing leaves and showing dark rot near the base of the stems. My stargrass has thin, stringy stems at the base of the plants.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...e/IMGP0779.jpg

Any ideas?

stu
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkambae View Post
- CFL lighting (12,000K bulbs) 8 hrs total exposure broken down as follows: 65 W for 8 hrs, 190 W for 4 hrs, and 325 W for 2 hrs
That is a TON of light. There is no need for 325w over a 55g. Even 190w is a lot. You need very good/high/stable co2 and ferts to even have a prayer at that lighting level

And yes, generally lower k bulbs are preferred over 12,000k

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yep...

Thanks mpodolan, that's kinda what I was thinking too. I'll pull the 65 watt fixture and go with 130 watts for eight hours with a two hour burst of 260 watts for two weeks and see what my results are. I'll keep the EI ferts going too and start shopping for bulbs... hmmm... 5500K, 6700K, 9325K, or mix and match?

stu
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkambae View Post
Thanks mpodolan, that's kinda what I was thinking too. I'll pull the 65 watt fixture and go with 130 watts for eight hours with a two hour burst of 260 watts for two weeks and see what my results are. I'll keep the EI ferts going too and start shopping for bulbs... hmmm... 5500K, 6700K, 9325K, or mix and match?

stu
Still way too much light. Much better would be about 130 watts maximum, and only if the reflectors are not the AH Supply size and quality. I would use that amount of light for the entire 8-10 hour photoperiod. 9325K lights are great for making the red colors of plants and fish really look great. But, any of those will grow plants.

You need to increase the amount of CO2 you inject. Slowly increase it, a little each day, and watch for all of the fish heading for the water surface and staying there. If that happens you have a bit too much. Otherwise, increase it a bit the next day, etc. With even the 130 watt lights you need to dose the full amount listed for that tank size in the EI dosing method, and be sure to do the 50% weekly water changes.

Hoppy
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
I agree with Hop. I have never understood why some people think it is beneficial to stagger light intensity at differnt hours through out the day. What is it supposed to accomplish? For the last few years theres always somebody that does that! Who started this idea? Run the same light for 10 to 12 hours a day. Your plants will thank you and you will not have any more or less algae than if you stagger.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

excellent!

Thanks all for the responses. I have been doing the full EI and 50% wc suggested for my size tank. Actually I've been adding a bit extra phosphate and potassium because, until recently, I was having good results. As for staggering my lighting, I never did it to benefit the plants. I find it aesthetically pleasing to simulate, as close as possible within my means, a photo period suggesting morning, noon, and night. I know, it's weird. Hey, If I were rich, I could be eccentric instead of an aquaholic! I'll tone down the lights a bit more and check the results in a couple more weeks.

I've been raising my CO2 injection slowly for the last couple days. So far there are no gasping fishies but my C. compressiceps are hiding. Don't know yet if they are stressed or maybe starting to spawn. I'll watch 'em closely over the course of the next few hours. Gives me an excuse to put my feet up and smoke a cigar!!

Thanks again folks!

stu

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode