75 or 90G Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
75 or 90G Questions

I am somewhat new to planted tanks have had 14 gallon for about 6 months and everything seems to be going good. Plants are growing and fish are healthy. So on to my quesitons, i am planning to get a 75G or 90G tank this week would you suggest one over the other, would think bigger is always better? I want to put CO2 on this tank and would like the easiest system to manage and have been looking at the GLA systems is this a good choice? What all do i need or will the all inclusive system be enough? Also what type of filter should i get would having a sump really produce too much oxygen? Also lights i am looking at T5. is there anything i am missing?

Thanks
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
1) Bigger IS always better If you get a 75 and want to invest more into the hobby, you have to get another tank, but if you get a 90 and want to invest less into the hobby, you just dial down the light, the bio-load, and the like.

2) I've never dealt with GLA, but i've heard good things about them.

3) Lets see if i can get all the stuff you'll need for a CO2 system right. Tank, regulator, bubble counter, needle valve, diffuser/reactor, tubing, and a drop checker. I've never dealt with pressurized, so i'm just going off what i remember from this forum.

4) There are ways to set up a sump so that CO2 outgassing is minimized, but if you want to really reduce outgassing, look at canister filters.

5) remember that when looking at the lighting, T5's are about double the light output as T8's or CF's for the same wattage.

Other things) What sort of substrate are you gonna use? What style of aquascape do you want to do? What sort of flora/fauna are you thinking about?
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (41/100%)
Send a message via AIM to josh1604
Redfalcon put pretty much everuthing you need except a brass check valve and a solenoid so you can run the co2 on a timer. I have never gotten a regulator from GLA but if it is anything like the other stuff i have bought from then the it should be great quality. I got my regulator from SuMo regulators and i can say for sure they are a really good regulator and they have great customer service. I would go with T-5 light it i were you and a canister filter like redfalcon said to prevent outgassing. As for substrate there are a lot of them out there its really up to you and what kind of look you want. I have eco-complete in mine and don't have anycomplaints.

Texas A&M-Commerce Track & Field

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
A 90g as in a taller version of the 75g? Then absolutely, most definitely, NO.

The 75g is tall enough to already make lighting a bit awkward. Perhaps T5 is the miracle that people say it is, but with PC there is significantly less light at the bottom of my 75g that there is just a few inches up from the substrate. In either case, wider and longer are better, but taller never is, ...in my opinion.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd have to agree with imeridian if the 90g is the taller tank style. I'll also add that deeper tanks can be a pain in the @ss to work in after awhile. (wet armpit syndrome )

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Both are 48 linches long and 18 inches wide. The 90 is about 24 inches tall. The 75 is about 20 inches tall. The 90 is going to be a little tougher to work in due to the added height. Both are nice and a typical T5HO 2x54 or 4x54 will work great on them. All the items mentioned above apply.

If it were my choice, I'd go with the 90.

John

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
90s can be more difficult to work in also. It isn't impossible, but adding the few extra inches to the tank can make it difficult to get to the bottom easily. I wouldn't want to plant glosso or HC in a 90 gallon.

Filstar Pimp #106

- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

On hold for a while...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
In my opinion, which I value highly, assuming a 48" x 18" footprint, a 75 is better for plants and a 90 is better for displaying cichlids. I have a 75 gallon and I always get wet shirt sleeves working in it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 11:46 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
+1 ^^^ I've had 120s, 90s & 70s as planted tanks and reefs ... of the 3 I much prefer the shorter 70 ... actually, I just had a custom tank built and went with 18" depth to avoid the "wet armpit" syndrome (and I'm over 6'4")

48" x 18" x 18" (70gal) would be a good choice (in my mind) for a planted tank.

Whatever you ultimately decide, remember to share some pics with us

Larry
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 AM

Another vote for the 75. I've had both and the 90 is TOO deep for wearing a shirt when doing anything on the bottom. Planting the back wall almost took tweezers for me.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 01:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
And another one. I spent 2 hours deciding beetween 75g and 90g (I came to buy 38g tank to upgrade from my 15g) and I end up with 75g, cause when I tried to reach the bottom of 90g with my hand I almost fell inside No, seriously, 90g planted tank is better only if you're planning to have discus in there IMO.

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

And "Like Us" on Facebook

Thanks

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 02:17 AM

Hello..,

If you have the money to invest, I would just be careful about the shape you choose. Surely all the 75's and 90's are not exactly the same! There are the standard sizes, but I think if you look carefully you might be able to find something a little more unique.

It will also depend on what type of fish you'd like to keep. If you need the space and would like to go with the larger, I would spend some time looking and see if you can't find something that's a different shape, keeping in mind the equipment you will need to fit on it.

But whatever you do, take the time to make sure you're going to be happy with your choice! I picked up a tank real quick and now I wish I had been more careful and considerate, instead of choosing the first affordable thing that came along.

It will be so much fun to put it all together! Sometimes the thought processes involved are just as much fun as the hands-on

leafshapedheart
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 03:54 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'm quite happy with my 90gal.

I do use a step stool, long tools, and wear tank tops when I know I'm going to be working on the bottom of the tank, though.

(Truth- IDK that I get any less wet when working on my 10gal... )

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 04:30 AM

I love my 90!Of course I am 6'4'' with long arms.I think it is a great size.Good luck with which ever you choose.Click image for larger version

Name:	fish and mc feb 001.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	12261
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM

is threr a reson that u cant get a longer tank such as 5 by 18 by 18 or
5 by 2 by 2

personaly i think long flat tanks look best just like widescreen tvs look better than old squar ones but thats just what i think

i also agree with abou=ve a heap of depth = difficultys in my books

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode