Raising Blackworms...literally! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Raising Blackworms...literally!

I ordered some blackworms to feed to my young Discus until it got used to flake foods. I put half in the worm holder (kept at 4C), and put half into a 10g tank to see if I could "breed" them.

I originally did not feed them anything other than what was naturally growing in the tank, but I did put a few plants in. At night you could see some poke through the gravel and filter feed, but then one day I decided to throw in a small piece of an algae wafer....here is the result:

Ummm....I definately have worms! There was a spot like this everywhere I dropped a small wafer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Wow, that's really interesting looking!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Interesting....ew.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I see it now. All blackworm tanks. A blackworm forum. It is the next thing after shrimp (which started out, remember, as live food).

Seriously. Now I want to do this. What is your substrate? What do you think they were eating, detritus?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Substrate is just gravel. I set the tank up with new water (primed) but I moved a hang on the back filter from another tank. For the first couple weeks before I decided to feed them an algae wafer, I think they were just filter feeding bacteria and perhaps eating off of the moss and other plants in the tank?

The tank is kept around 72F, and I do 25% water changes once a week but the nitrates never got above 5ppm. However now that I will be feeding them (maybe once ever 2-3 days), I will keep a closer eye on nitrate levels at the end of each week and post here later.

Unlike others that have grown these, my 10g is full not just 5-6" deep. This way I can use real filtration. To collect the worms, I can just vacuum them from the gravel and funnel them through a net. No messy newspapers or burlap.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

do you think that you'd be able to keep a colony of them in a community tank? or would they be decimated by the fish?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
well the point of growing them is to feed them to fish, so I'm sure anytime one poked his little head out and a fish noticed....

or if you had sifting fish, they'd be diggin like crazy all day long getting after them!

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

I guess the point of my questions is to see whether setting up a colony of worms in the substrate would be self-sustaining food for the fish, or whether it would last a couple weeks and then fizzle out.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
I just vomited in my mouth like the baby in the e-trader commercial.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
I guess the point of my questions is to see whether setting up a colony of worms in the substrate would be self-sustaining food for the fish, or whether it would last a couple weeks and then fizzle out.
I think they would fizzle out. My SAE would probably stop eating algae and focus on them along with half my other fish. However before I went with a planted aquarium I used to vacuum the substrate thourghly and find live worms, just not in the numbers you see above, so they can survive....just not thrive.

BTW...here is a quick picture of the little guy I'm feeding the worms to. Eventually he should get some metallic blue and more red spotting:
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

ah, ok... sounds like my idea for free food is more of a pipe dream than a reality
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Planted Member

These are pretty self sustaining in an aquarium with fish in it too. In fact, they can get hard to get rid of. I used to get colonies of them when I didn't do frequent water changes.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It depends on what fish you have. Cories, loaches will clean this up. The population might survive with other fish combination.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Wanabe BKK Herder

PTrader: (17/100%)
When I had corries, this never happened. But now I have a smaller version of this happening in my tanks. My halfmoon doesn't seem to grok that these are food, but my giants will hunt them down and gorge. So I just swap the fish around as needed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode