Advice on dosing: Micros and Macros Same Day - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (2/75%)
Advice on dosing: Micros and Macros Same Day

So i want to use 2 Tom's aqua-lifter dosing pumps to auto dose my tank but i have an aquarium controller and only have 1 available socket with a timer. Could i store the macros and micros separately, but use a y cable to plug both pumps in the same outlet for dosing purposes?

i know the levels for each would have to be carefully measured as both pumps would be on the same timer (the timer would run in seconds resolution in this case). The ferts would be premixed very weak so for instance instead of a normal 5ml dose containing enough for the size tank, these would be mixed weaker like 20ml or 50ml for the same tank size. I could also split the tubing so each fert comes out at opposite ends of the tank.

Will something like this work?

Should they be dosed once per day or better once every other day?

Thanks,

Stevie D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
you can dose macros and micros at the same time, but you can not mix P and things that contain iron. So as long as you have it in separate bottles, and maybe dose at two opposite ends of the tank, there is no problem.

You can also check out the test tube method for P, works very well for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:15 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (72/100%)
opposite ends of the tank works.

in my experience the Tom's aqualifters tend to change with regards to amount of fluid pumped in the tank over time (filter gets clogged?). You can try to "clean it out" between refills with straight water. I'm trying Wasserpest's other method with the small pumps right now to see how that works.....

Member of PAPAS and GPASI - Pittsburgh Area Planted Aquarium Society and Greater Pittsburgh Aquarium Society

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 04:40 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooha View Post
in my experience the Tom's aqualifters tend to change with regards to amount of fluid pumped in the tank over time (filter gets clogged?). You can try to "clean it out" between refills with straight water.
They are very susceptible to changes in head pressure. As they empty the container with liquid fertilizer, the water level goes down, the head increases, and the dosed amount becomes smaller.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

well my containers would only be 500ml, and i would be thinking low doses like 20ml doses so that would last quite a while, and there wouldn't be much head difference. It just has to be close, it's ei anyway, and i don't mind adding a little more hear and there when i have to, it's mainly for when i go away the tank will be getting everything it needs, even if the dosage is a little shy, it should be fine more than fine if i go away for a week or two. Plus i can just test it every week and see where i am at and adjust. I don't mind that at all. I need 4 pumps or i would get the peristaltic pumps, but that would get expensive.

Stevie D
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Why do you think you would need four pumps? I autodose with two peristaltic pumps, one for micros and another for macros, it works great.

I dose both solutions every day. I dose from opposite sides of the tank presently, but have dosed on the same side at the same time in the past. The drip of one solution would be dispersed by the flow prior to the drip of the other solution hitting the water.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

I need to dose 2 planted tanks so i need 2 pumps each. I definitely will get the peristaltic pumps eventually, but for less than the price of 1 could get all 4 and like i said i don''t need digital timers so 4 less than $60 I have full dosing. I also need to put an auto topoff on my 55 gallon so i don't waste too much co2 when the water gets too low which only takes a few days for this to happen and the co2 controller is always on wasting co2. The good think is my controller can handle this with redundancy, i just need to buy 2 inexpensive float switches and a 10 gallon container that i have to perfect spot to tuck away where nobody would see it. Again less than $35 i have and ATO. The smaller tank doesn't really evaporate all that much and is fully covered so i wouldn't even bother with that one, it could easily last 2-3 weeks without needing a topoff.

Stevie D
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imeridian View Post
Why do you think you would need four pumps? I autodose with two peristaltic pumps, one for micros and another for macros, it works great.

I dose both solutions every day. I dose from opposite sides of the tank presently, but have dosed on the same side at the same time in the past. The drip of one solution would be dispersed by the flow prior to the drip of the other solution hitting the water.
Sorry to hijack your thread, But I have a couple questions...

1-Where do you get the peristaltic pumps?
2-Wish timer do you use for the pumps and for how long? Should be for a few seconds right?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 09:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
The pumps can be purchased at APT Instruments. I have the SP-100 fixed flow with 1/8" ID norprene pump tubing. I use an inexpensive ($5 each) analog 15-minute increment timer from Target, with an outlet multiplier so I can run both pumps on the same timer. I mix my solutions so that the 7.5ml provided during 15 minutes is the appropriate amount daily for my 75g aquarium.

More information, including mistakes I've made, is included within my dosing system thread linked in my signature.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode