75 Gallon project- what do i need? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
75 Gallon project- what do i need?

So im moving up to a 75 gallon. I have had some planted tanks with low tech plants and have had some success and some failuers. I would like to make this one a huge success.

I bought a 2x65w solar T5HO light. I got one 6500k bulb and one actinic(for the fish)

I now need substrate but not sure what kind to get and also was wondering if I should get some liquid ferts. do i need iron, potassium, trace and all that (I have only ever added flourish at water changes)

The plants i have and am moving to the 75g are... anubis, java fern, red wenditti, red lugwiga, wisteria, swords and some others.. I would like the option to put some other plants in there that are maybe a meduim light required since i have the better light now.

so what all should I get at my next trip to the store?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:55 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is a tough one for me. It's like...I bought an aquarium, what should I put in it. Wow, you have an infinite number of choices...you'll just have to sit down and think about which way you want to go....like yogi says, "if there's a fork in the road, take it".

Victor PIMP #20 - SR253B-320
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
lol. i guess I was vague. I wrote that before I went to bed after my brain was overloaded with reading about dosing, substrate options and the various other things you need to know about all this.

I guess my question was besed on my plants and lights what kind of liquid ferts should I buy.. if any?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
With that lighting, you are going to need macro (N, P, and K) and micronutrients. It is also very likely that you will need co2. T5HO lighting is very powerful. If I was you, I'd order the dry fert package from Orlando at GLA or from Rex Grigg. These will be much cheaper in the long run than buying pre-mixed ferts from Seachem. I'd suggest looking at the Estimative Index style of dosing
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Back when i was on the Seachem line i was afraid of switching over to dry ferts because it sounded like it would be super complicated and potentially dangerous if i messed up. Dry ferts are actually much better IMO. They're cheaper and really a breeze to do. Anyway, just figured i'd relay my experience to you.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode