4-SAEs
5-Black Skirt Tetras
4-Glass Fish
8-Rasboras
5-Kuhli Loaches

Thanks
SeaSerpant

P.S
Wow i feel dumb making a whole new thread for this. Especcially since it's so short.

Thanks
Jonathan/SeaSerpant

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to mynameisjonah
All I can tell you from what I understand about discus is:

you need to provide them with a slow moving, low activity environment and lots of hiding places with driftwood and plants. As they are prone to stress in anything other than that. They are most comfortable in low light/shaded/blackwater set ups.

Fish like danios and rainbow fish aren't exactly graceful and may be too rough for your discus.

Discus like their water to be above 80 degrees (ideally 82-83, and rather soft and very acidic, slow moving). Not all fish agree with these requirements.

Water quality also has to be pristine, and you already have alot going on in your tank. Pretty heavily populated.

Angelfish and SAE's will most likely out compete your discus for food as well.

If you truly want to keep discus I would lose everything but the rams and the cories, and pick up an additional school of cardinal tetras, as they look amazing with discus and are a slower moving species. A lower bioload would help maintain more stable water conditions for the oh so sensitive discus.

Don't strive for perfection initially, but do enough research so you feel comfortable with your choices. Don't trust chain pet stores, and do your own research!

10 gallon open top betta bachelor pad.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 01:46 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Plus they need LOTS of water changes and lots of food.

-Chris

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
I had a breeding pair of discus in my 45 with nerites, sids, kuhli's, pr GBR, 2 male gourami's, 3 oto's and 2 garra. The tank had a wall of bubbles and two nano powerheads. They say it is rare to find two discus that peaceful. I have read that, some of the fish you have on your list can be nippy. I would think that would not work well.
I overfiltered and did wc once a week, vac once a month. They say 4-6 discus are best. They like to be in groups. They protect a good size area when watching eggs. All of those fish will eat their eggs.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
In my opinion your stock is a little ADD and you should try to build up larger schools with fewer species. Discus are notoriously difficult to keep. Do a TON of research before you jump into keeping them. If you educate yourself in advance you'll know what you could pull off for tank mates.

cheers-K
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 01:02 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Discus are slower picky eaters when you first get them. Having to compete against faster fish like danios, angelfish, and rainbows, makes it harder to get them to eat. Some plecos have been known to chase discus and try to "clean" off their slime coat. If you are looking at smalller discus, they also should not eat a lot at one time, so you have to feed them more often.

They like to school and should be kept in groups of 4-5 minimum. I keep my tank at 84-85F. Higher temperature water has less O2 so aeration and flow is important but discus also require areas of calmer water within that tank.

If you really want to keep discus, I would double check your water parameters and consider getting rid of some of those faster fish. Keep a mostly "amazon" tank with just the tetras, rasboras, rams, SAE, and cories.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
The only fish there I would worry about is the Angels & the RAms. The Angels are very closely related to Discus & whichever ones grow faster will bully the others. The Rams will probably just get pushed around as they're the smallest Cichlids out of the 3 types you want. It's just their pecking order. I would also not try to keep the clawed frogs with Discus. The frogs are relatively messy & Discus prefer cleaner settings. IME all the others on your list are fine with the exception of the Rainbows. Depending on the species they may get too large & rambunctious for the Discus.

Tommy

><;;;"> <9))>>{

Eheim Pimp #204.
58 gal planted Oceanic
Japonica shrimp, assorted Blue Eyed Rainbows, Tetras, Hatchets, Danios, Rasboras,
Celestial Pearl Danio (Celestichthys margaritatus) & Emerald Dwarf Rasbora (Microrasbora erythromicron)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode