Plant ideas/online sources - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Plant ideas/online sources

I've got a 29 gallon tank with 2x24W T5HO light, I'm dosing excel and will be getting some dry ferts as well.

So far I've gotten 2 java ferns and an anubias. I'm going to buy some more plants online though, but I don't really have a clue where to start.

I'm looking for something short for the foreground and something tall but without massive leaves for the background. Any other ideas would be appreciated too though.

Also, what are good sites to get them from? I've read some reviews on other forums but that didn't help much. There is a guy on ebay called mikeswetpets who has great reviews (100% positive, and nearly 4k reviews) who sells plants. Has anyone bought from him?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Have you looked through the plant profiles on this site? Here are a couple other good ones to check out

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...c/plantfinder/
http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide.php

You have plenty of light to grow whatever you want. You will need to keep up with the excel (although co2 would likely be easier/cheaper/more stable in the long run) and ferts with that much light

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Most of us who grow aquatic plants, and all of us who grow aquatic stem plants, have a surplus of plant cuttings about every week, more or less. We can either toss those into the garbage, or give/sell them to other planted tank keepers. The Swap n shop forum here is where many of us chose to sell them to others. You get very good plants that way, at good prices, fast shipping, and almost always low shipping costs. The only disadvantage is that if you want a specific group of plants, in specific quantities, finding just those plants in Swap n shop can be a problem. That is when going to an on line dealer works best.

If there is an aquatic plant club in your area, that is the ultimate place to get cuttings. Our group just gives them away to anyone wanting them - it's hard to beat that price.

Hoppy

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

Do amazon swords get too big?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
They wouldn't fill up the entire tank if trimmed properly, but they will take up a large portion. I would try melon and ozelot swords. They're smaller (I can even use them in a 15 gallon).
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

Okay I'm thinking I will probably buy some plants from the guy on ebay. These are some of the plants I am looking at
Rotala indica
Cryptocoryne wendtii - there are numerous others he sells too though
Ludwigia arcuata
Ludwigia peruensis
Echinodorus parviflorus
Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta' - How big do these get?
Maybe more anubias

I won't get all of them, but those are the ones he has that sound fairly easy and look nice. Any I should actually be avoiding?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
There is no way to trim a sword plant. Amazon swords grow to be over 24 inches tall, 50 to 100 leaves and weigh five pounds! Red melons and most other sword plants will grow just as big if they are getting proper conditions. There are only two sword plants sold in the USA that are under 10 inches tall: The "tropica sword", E. parviflorus var tropica, and the Harbich sword, Echinodorus cordifolius var harbich.

Why Ebay?

Cryptocoryne wendtii - depending on growing conditions it can grow relatively short and compact, or tall and lanky

Ludwigia arcuata, is a stem plant that can be kept to any height by pruning

Ludwigia peruensis, stem plant that is slow growing and light demanding

Echinodorus parviflorus... most likely the "tropica" version which grows to 6 or 8 inches tall. If its not the tropica version, it grows to be huge

Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta' - How big do these get? Its called "compacta" because it grows more wide than tall, has a large girth, but can still reach 18 to 20 inches tall

Maybe more anubias. There are several anubias species available. Hastifolia is the one to avoid. Petite nana is a great foreground. Regular nana and coffefolia, and narrow leaf nana are great mid ground plants. Congensis, minima, gigantea and a couple others are background plants.

Robert Paul Hudson

Kindness like love is unconditional
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

Shipping is cheap, live arrival guaranteed, 100% positive feedback. If his prices for plants are higher than other places though, cheap shipping doesn't matter. I need to look into that. I definitely haven't decided I'm for sure buying from him.

thanks for the info; what about the Rotala though?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
I'd strongly recommend getting plants from the swap-n-shop on this forum.

You can get very large plant packages for super cheap, sometimes even free.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/96%)
Smile

[quote=FSM;801874]Shipping is cheap, live arrival guaranteed, 100% positive feedback. If his prices for plants are higher than other places though, cheap shipping doesn't matter. I need to look into that. I definitely haven't decided I'm for sure buying from him.

Hi, I've just received a whole bunch of different plants from Everglades Exotic Plants(Tampa, Fl). This is my seventh shipment of various plants in the last two weeks and the best one from all sorts of sellers.

Their prices are v.reasonable, and the quality deserves to written by Q -!!!

You can reach them at 813 621 4213 - ask for Chris, or at www.aquaticplantdepot.com, however their availability list there is not up to date - they have many more plants then listed.

Good luck.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
FSM
Wannabe Guru

I found out the Atlanta Area Aquarium Assocation Auction (wow 5 A's in a row) is in a week. I think I'm going to see what is for sale there before I buy anything off the internet.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 12:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
thats a great idea , and then swap n shop for anything else you need , you can place a wanted ad too

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode