Huge problem!!! Help!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
Huge problem!!! Help!!

Just got a phone call from my wife saying that my 2yo dumped all my fish food (roughly 2oz flake food) into my 39 gal tank. What do I do? Should I just syphon as much food as I can out and try to stay away from a 100% WC, or should I just do a 100% RO WC? I'm thinking do a 100% RO WC due to the high nitrates that will result from the excess food.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I'd be inclined to do a huge water change.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Yeah, clean it all up, it'll be okay. Depending on how much the filter sucked up, I"d probably clean it out too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
if i were you, i'd get as much out as you can, even by shaking it out of the substrate, and then do a series of large water changes over the next day or two.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Just got a phone call from my wife saying that my 2yo dumped all my fish food (roughly 2oz flake food) into my 39 gal tank. What do I do? Should I just syphon as much food as I can out and try to stay away from a 100% WC, or should I just do a 100% RO WC? I'm thinking do a 100% RO WC due to the high nitrates that will result from the excess food.

Nick
Not to poke fun at the problem, but your avatar is pretty spot-on for this situation.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Yeah just do a major water change( find as much food as possible) and clean the filter out!

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
Click below

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Not to poke fun at the problem, but your avatar is pretty spot-on for this situation.
Can't hide the guilt this time. Mommy caught him red handed. Kids...

Thanks for the tips guys. Would RO water be ok for my plants if I wanted to do a 100% WC. I'm thinking I'll be dosing EI regularly afterwards but wouldn't the CO2 make my water too Acidic? Maybe do a 50/50 RO/Tap WC... thoughts?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It doesn't really matter. RO, tap, whatever you have. The Co2 in tap water disperses pretty quickly.

Also, there's no need for a 100% water change. Do a 50-70% today, maybe again tomorrow if you see some food you missed. I assume you have fish, and changing out all of the water at once will leave them...flopping...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyebeatbadgers View Post
It doesn't really matter. RO, tap, whatever you have. The Co2 in tap water disperses pretty quickly.
Well, I can't do 100% WC using Tap only right? I mean, I have a good amount of fauna currently in this tank. I don't have another tank to temporarily relocate them either.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You can't do a 100% water change at once, no. (Fish..flopping..need water to swim..etc.)

Do 50% today, 50% tomorrow, and see how things go.

Adding tap water isn't evil, nothing bad in there that isn't in your tank right now. The Co2 in tap water won't harm your fish. PH change due to Co2 doesn't harm fish. Keep the surface moving well during the first couple of hours while the water is gassing out the extra carbon, and you'll be fine.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
You can't do a 100% water change at once, no. (Fish..flopping..need water to swim..etc.)

Do 50% today, 50% tomorrow, and see how things go.

Adding tap water isn't evil, nothing bad in there that isn't in your tank right now. The Co2 in tap water won't harm your fish. PH change due to Co2 doesn't harm fish. Keep the surface moving well during the first couple of hours while the water is gassing out the extra carbon, and you'll be fine.
Fish would be swimming in a bucket durring the WC of course . I'm dumb, but not stupid.

I'll stick with Tap water then. 50% every day for a week, clean my filter today, and monitor my fish for signs of distress.

Thanks!

Nick
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
Fish would be swimming in a bucket durring the WC of course . I'm dumb, but not stupid.

Nick
Well, you never can tell these days. I didn't mean to insult, but I also didn't want you posting today saying, "You imbeciles told me it was okay to do 100% water change, and all my fish died while they were out of the water!"

Hope things clean up for you.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Well, you never can tell these days. I didn't mean to insult, but I also didn't want you posting today saying, "You imbeciles told me it was okay to do 100% water change, and all my fish died while they were out of the water!"

Hope things clean up for you.
I know what you mean. You never can tell with some of us noobs . The stuff I see posted sometimes just make me laugh. I'm sure people are laughing at this thread too . Thanks for clearing it up.

As for my tank, it's all good now. Did a 70% WC with Tap and fish are doing just fine. Lesson learned today: Don't leave your fish food out.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Even with the bucket, I'd be concerned about shocking the fish. I'd scoop out all the food possible, and do 50%+ water changes every day or two for several days. Then, monitor N levels.

As for RO vs. tap water, I guess it depends on why you're using RO water in the first place. If your tapwater isn't too hard or out-of-balance on key parameters, I'd use that.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
ShrimpRetirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswan0 View Post
Even with the bucket, I'd be concerned about shocking the fish. I'd scoop out all the food possible, and do 50%+ water changes every day or two for several days. Then, monitor N levels.

As for RO vs. tap water, I guess it depends on why you're using RO water in the first place. If your tapwater isn't too hard or out-of-balance on key parameters, I'd use that.
N levels are fine. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. When I got home, my wife had already did the liberty of siphoning the majority of the flake food out. She poured the water back into the tank as the food settled to the bottom of the bucket. This bought me some time to do a thorough vacuum job, however I made a mess of my plants. With impeccable timing, the mailman decides to drop off a package of 20 Echinodorus Tenellus (bought from macclellen) as I was in the middle of all this maintnance . I ended up rescaping 25% of my tank and it actually looks much better now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode