Snails, snails and even more snails! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 03:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Snails, snails and even more snails!

After getting my new 400l tank it took ages before I even spotted one, but I guess if I could see one there must have been a good few hiding in the back....well 2 months on and they are everywhere!

I have tried buying 10 assain snails to slow the growth but they seem to be eating each other rather then the regular ones....anything I can do to get rid of them without using chemicals as its a discus tank and I dont think they would like it

Cheers for any help, Leon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 03:45 AM

PTrader: (47/100%)
What kinda snails do you have and assassin snails don't eat each other from my experience. Never lost one, even when they ran out of snails months ago.

Assassin snails also prey on similar sized snails, so if you have a bunch of tiny snails with large assassin snails, they're not going to do anything. You can also search this problem as its been up numerous times.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/se...=snail+problem
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, me too. I bought some plants from several people on here and I must have picked up some hitch hikers. It started out as just one teeny tiny little thing. Now, just a couple of weeks later, I have at least a dozen. I'm not sure how you're going to get rid of them. Maybe you could buy some sort of fish that attacks them.... I've heard that those puffer type fish like to eat snails.

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 04:15 AM

Dwarf puffers. Just put in mind what you'll do with them AFTER their job is done.

You can also cut back on feeding and siphon your substrate while you're at it. Clean your tank walls of algae. That should help significantly.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

I do clean alot, being a discus tank I do about 25% water change every 2 - 3 days and syphon each time I do. There is no algae on the glass and the snails are just on basically every plant (even the small floating ones?!)

I'm going to worm my discus this week, my first time doing it and apparently the stuff is pretty bad for snails, so maybe this will help?

As for the assains eating each other, I had never heared of it either. At first I thought they where mating so I kept a mental note of what part of the tank they where in and checked back the next day. So far I have spoted them doing it 4 - 5 times and have now found 3 empty assain shells in less then a month.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:33 AM

Just cut back on feeding. Got pics of the empty assassin snail shells? They mate a lot. I'm not sure if discus eat snails or not, maybe they have something to do with it?

I think you might be overfeeding a bit, try feeding your fish less often or more sparingly.

I've never used a dewormer so I don't know.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Just stick your hands in the tank and crush them. Works alot better than anything else.

-----
Brad

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Just stick your hands in the tank and crush them. Works alot better than anything else.
You're going to be doing that for a LONG time. Whatever works for you I guess. If you get a dwarf puffer, the fish can do it for you. Overfeeding is a main factor because, think about it, they're multiplying in number because there's enough food to allow them to without them starving. Take away food = starvation = population decrease. If you're feeding less and they're still growing in numbers, they're just finding other ways to feed themselves, you just gotta find what.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
clown loach take care of them !

I bought one 2 days ago because it was suggested by a friend. Today I found 5 empty shells in the tank...maybe it was nature or the clown really works. I think that if it keeps working it's going to be returned to the LFS in a few weeks.

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:53 AM

Ya loaches are cool too. Do clown loaches borrow themselves in substrate much. I had kuli loaches and it was a major PITA to catch them when I had to move the tank. That's the only reason I avoid loaches, but loaches are neat and should get snails pretty well. Even little kuli roaches go after snails pretty effectively.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:11 AM
Algae Grower

Fish or snail trap

Hey search the web for fish trap aquarium youll find a fish trap thats made out of a bottle for snails you can use a small water bottle . Add some zucchinni into the bottle . Microwave first for 2 mins let cool this way it will sit on in the bottle . When you get snails in it just keep emptying it. Other then that cant tell you much theres probably eggs on the tank glass and plants. Puffers would be best maybe get a couple then give them away to a good home.Pea puffers are pretty cheap. You could keep them in case you get the same problem again.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Ya loaches are cool too. Do clown loaches borrow themselves in substrate much. I had kuli loaches and it was a major PITA to catch them when I had to move the tank. That's the only reason I avoid loaches, but loaches are neat and should get snails pretty well. Even little kuli roaches go after snails pretty effectively.
Clown loachs grow to 16 ins.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
My clown loach is almost always at the substrate level...I'm keeping an eye on him/her because that tank is my "male only guppies tank" and if I see some aggression it's going to be returned to the LFS...same if it gets too big !

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 08:29 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to lancermit Send a message via Skype™ to lancermit
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat3612 View Post
Clown loachs grow to 16 ins.
I've had 13 clown loaches for about 9-10 years, and the largest of the bunch is only about 5-6 inches long. I have them all in a 75 gallon that is heavily planted. I have never seen them burrow into the substrate.

Of course, I don't have a problem with snails, at all! Actually, I occasionally put garden snails into the tank for loach food. The snails are always crawling around the sidewalk after it rains. They and the earthworms are a great (free!) source of food for the loaches.

Clown Loaches, Harlequin Rasboras, Rummy Nose Tetras, Corys, & Skunk Botias.
Eheim 2026 w/ surface skimmer and Hydor 300W inline heater, & 2217 w/ prefilter intake.
Pressurized CO2 w/
220W PC lighting, EI fert dosing.
All controlled w/ Aquacontroller Jr.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode