Help! Urgent message! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Help! Urgent message!

Hello! So I HAVE a PROBLEM! I just planted my ten gallon tank. The substrate is sand with flourite and a bit of muriate of potash and dolomite mixed into the bottom layer. It is capped by sand and some more flourite. I planted it with some crypt wendtii and some anubias. So the crypts have completely melted and are now just basically a crown with roots. My anubias are starting to look as though they are gonna die. The leaves are starting to become see through and do not look healthy at all. I do not understand what is going on. My pH is like 7.6(very high don't understand why) the ammonia is 4 ppm and I have not got any readings on nitrites or nitrates obviously. If anyone can help me save my anubias. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
What lights do you have on that tank. It sounds like you are using the lights that came with the new tank. If this is the case, they will melt away. You need good grow lights. About 5 watts per gallon. 5500 to 10000k with 6700 being ideal.
We need more info. They do need ferts as well.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
tanks not cycled yet? what about ferts, aeration, lights etc.
crypts are notorious for melting when moved to different tank, you didnt burry the anubias rhizhome right?

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I didn't not bury the rhizomes you are correct. As far as lighting it is the stock 15 watt bulb but I know that these plants are low light plants. That is why I bought these plants. The tank is still cycling. I have added some flourish and have ferts capped under the sand. Some muriate of potash and dolomite. I was kinda going with an improvised mineralized soil substrate. I have a HOB but the water is pretty much filled to the brim so there is not too much surface agitation(little aeration). I don't know if I should get higher wattage lighting, i kinda wanted to avoid that and keep this low tech. If you can gather any solutions please let me know. Thanks

Matt
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

Hi Matt,
You need more light.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetee View Post
What lights do you have on that tank. It sounds like you are using the lights that came with the new tank. If this is the case, they will melt away. You need good grow lights. About 5 watts per gallon. 5500 to 10000k with 6700 being ideal.
We need more info. They do need ferts as well.
Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisc View Post
Hi Matt,
You need more light.

I've kept anubias under 15 watts fluorescent lighting for years. They don't grow fast, but they're alive and healthy. What makes everyone think the anubias would melt away with that kind of light?

The crypts on the other hand, may require more light. However, I've kept wendetii alive at lower levels of light fine.

I use root tabs to keep mine fertilized, but it sounds like the plants are dying in a short period of time.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:02 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
I've kept anubias under 15 watts fluorescent lighting for years. They don't grow fast, but they're alive and healthy. What makes everyone think the anubias would melt away with that kind of light?

The crypts on the other hand, may require more light. However, I've kept wendetii alive at lower levels of light fine.

I use root tabs to keep mine fertilized, but it sounds like the plants are dying in a short period of time.

I've got a 10g and found the standard lighting inadequate. Mine was actually 18 watts, but it was not CF.... and the lumens were poor. I'm also not sure what the color rating on standard lights is... I bought a cheap spiral CF at home depot, 5500, and all my low light plants took off. It's not the prettiest fixture but it works

since then I added more light and more plants.

...also I did not have anubias.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I agree with epicfish. I've done the standard lights (36 watts) on a 55 gallon and grew crypts and anubias with excellent success. The anubias even flowered.

Do you know if the plants were grown emersed? This would cause them to do as you describe.

Crypts often melt when they are moved from tank to tank. They will come back. This is their way of adjusting to the new environment. I also believe crypts like a seasoned tank and this could be part of it.

Just give them some time and remove the transparent leaves.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help. Yea, I have heard of both crypts and anubias being fine under low lighting so i was not worried about that. I also knew about the crypts melting...so, although ugly, i know they will probably come back from the dead. The anubias are what is bothering me. They were grown submerged as far as I can tell because they were submerged in the LFS. It is puzzling to me because they looked so healthy and have started to appear unhealthy in a matter of days. Also my water has been very hazy for some reason. I do not know if that would have anything to do with it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Hazy water will cut your lights down too. The haze is probably because of the new tank not being cycled yet. It should clear up soon. I just did partial water changes maybe 25% twice a week.
I would consider the spiral light bulb mentioned above. It could still be low tech.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Explain what you meant by
Quote:
I just planted my ten gallon tank
Are you saying you planted within the last couple of days? That's what the statement sounds like. If that is the case then the crypt issues is just the normal melt but the anubias would not be experiencing the issues you describe due to low light over a couple of days.

Larry Bugg
Atlanta Area Aquarium Association
North American Discus Association - Vice President
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:15 PM

Is the lighting compact fluorescent or your standard bulb? If it's the latter, I would suggest adding a CF screw in bulb. You don't have to use a high wattage but I think the CF bulb will work better for your plants. Also, I wouldn't dose any ferts (if you are dosing anything) until about a week. Then do a water change and add a small amount of ferts 1xweek. That is just my suggestion. I know other people have had success not dosing ferts at all. On a side note, the plants may die a little bit the first week in a low tech. Mine did, but new leaves are sprouting out now to replace the old ones. I think the plants just need to get adjusted to the conditions. Oh, and my water got cloudy too (this is normal). I let it be but a few days later, I did end up doing a 50% WC (it was almost a week, 6 days).

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, my HOB's outflow is completely submerged in water too with no ill affects.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, thank you everyone for your replies. I guess I will wait it out and see what happens. The anubias suffering is bothering me a bit because from all the research I have done here and other places suggest that anubias are one of the hardiest plants you can get. I love them too. Now how would the CF bulb work? Would I have to create a whole knew fixture or would it screw into the existing ballast? The reason I have not been doing water changes is because I am fishless cycling the tank, so I did not want to just put ammonia in and then remove it during my water change. The tank has been up for almost a week now, but only planted for about five days. I dont know if that makes any difference. Again thanks for all the help. I hope to get this resolved.

Matt
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 12:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
How hot is your tank? Have you considered the temperature? Maybe your heater is not working.... Is your filter working? Just checking the most basic things.

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
Anubias are hardy. I've had leaves turn transparent like you've describe when I first but them in my tank. They recovered just fine. I chalk this up to adjusting to the new conditions.

Check the temp as Texgirl suggested, keep an eye on them and have some patience as long as they don't get worse.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode