What Ferts do you use and how do you like them? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
What Ferts do you use and how do you like them?

I was about to re-stock my ferts (the whole seachem flourish line) and I figure I would ask all of you what you use and how you like it real quick before i did.

The seachem line is good and I really have no complaints about it. I follow the instructions given each bottle exactly; with a minor exception here and there and the plants are fast growing and look very healthy. One thing that I find odd though is I get very little pearling. I get some but honestly I feel like I was getting more before I started using the seachem line. I used to just use kent pro plant and the other kent product to go with it.

Has anyone else had an experience like this with the seachem line? (i.e. less pearling even though growth is accelerated and plants are more healthy)

ALSO: What ferts do you use? Why do you like them?

I don't keep tabs on the fert levels in my tank but I follow a strict schedule, which seems to work very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I just bought some ferts from greenleafaquariums.com .

I spent about $40 for about 2 - 3 years worth of ferts for a high tech 29 gallon. I use the Estimative Index for dosing my ferts which can be found all over this board as well as some others on the Internet.

My plants pearl like crazy after my lights have been on for 3 to 4 hours.

Like you, I don't monitor my fert levels, but I do try to follow a strict dosing schedule (following the EI method).

You should try dry ferts. Ultimately, you will save A LOT of money and get the same if not better results. Consistant CO2 levels are good to have too.

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
I just bought some ferts from greenleafaquariums.com .

I spent about $40 for about 2 - 3 years worth of ferts for a high tech 29 gallon. I use the Estimative Index for dosing my ferts which can be found all over this board as well as some others on the Internet.

My plants pearl like crazy after my lights have been on for 3 to 4 hours.

Like you, I don't monitor my fert levels, but I do try to follow a strict dosing schedule (following the EI method).

You should try dry ferts. Ultimately, you will save A LOT of money and get the same if not better results. Consistant CO2 levels are good to have too.
What he said.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I got mine from aquariumfertilizer.com. When I nee more I'll go with greenleaf because of their support of the site. Use EI and don't monitor.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use the whole seachem line with the exception of excel (because I have CO2 injections and need no other source of carbon). I have no complaints, and I get a fair amount of pearling on most of my plants. It is worth noting that I have been using this line of ferts since day one and have no control reference to compare with. IMO, pearling is great, but it's not the "gold-standard" marker for a successful tank. Like others have mentioned above, I use the EI method with 30-50% water changes weekly. This eliminates the need for fert monitoring, and you'll have great results from it. Pearling is a factor related to the photoperiod and the amount of carbon available to the plants. If you want more pearling, you may need to think about asking questions related to your lighting and/or carbon injection specs. Good luck and let's see some pics!

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

-
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have small tank but i use pfertz and so far i love them i've been dosing for about a week and my plants are already growing significantly
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I started out with Seachem, then switched to dry ferts because they are significantly cheaper. I still use Seachem Flourish for my micronutrients, though.

I also use the EI method (although I tweak it a bit), and that has worked well for me.

For my 2.5 gallon nano tanks, I still use the Seachem line because that seemed easier. I use such small amounts that the expense is not great.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ferts

I have pics up of my tank, check my profile. So I only do a 20- 26% water change every week or week and a half. This seems to work great for my tank. Maybe I can get away with less because I over filter by a lot (500gph for a 54 gal). However i do notice that my plants pearl a lot right after water changes. What could this be a result of???

I'll try a bigger water change this week and see if i get even more pearling.

Maybe I'll give some dry fets a try. The seachem line is great but like CAM said I have very little to compare (just kent and seachem). The liquids can be a bit messy and cheaper is very attractive to me right now (laid off with no unemployment AHHHHH).

Its strange to have a very healthy tank that grows insanely fast (almost to fast, I don't want it to grow any faster) but little pearling. This tank needs a large trim once a week at least. I like my tank jungle like.

I use pressurized co2 with a ph controller so the level is constant and high. I actually lowered it a bit recently and the tank perked up a little bit so I guess it was too high. I don't have a drop checker right now so I basically have to guess at my co2 level because eco complete messes up the ph kh relation and I also use ro rite so that messes it up even more. Luckily I have been doing this for a while so I'm pretty good at it.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
What he said.
what he said he was referring to when he said "what he said."
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Dry ferts from aquariumfertilizer.com or greenleafaquariums.com when I need CO2 equipment too.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I got dry ferts awhile ago from Rex Grigg. They were under $25, an will be enough to last a year or two. I've only dosed for a week, but the plants tripled in growth. I set up an auto doser, from the sticky in the equipment forum, using a variation of EI.

Brion
29 gal journal

55 gal low tech

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ferts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeMan View Post
what he said he was referring to when he said "what he said."

LOL good old COLE MAN

What ferts do you guys use from Green Leaf? Do you guys buy the package (Green Fertilizer Package: Micros & Macros), the pre-mix or each separate? do you get the iron? Can you give me a quick rundown on the dosing schedule for these or point me to a post where its talked about?

I know I dose nitrogen, iron, micros, potassium, and a tiny bit of phos but these green leaf ferts are different. So I'm not quite sure what to get.

Can anyone testify to these green leaf ferts working better then the seachem line? I'm a little hesitant to switch just to save a few bucks. If it aint broke don't fix it. It really will only save me like $20 a year

Last edited by Noxtreme; 03-03-2009 at 01:35 AM. Reason: wanted to add more
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (19/100%)
Here's a Microsoft Office Excel 2003 Seachem calculator if you want to use it. It is based on Seachem's Dosing Chart. Post #4 has a dry fert conversion.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...tor-chart.html
Here are more calculators: http://www.seachem.com/Library/Calculators.html

EHEIM PIMP #164
Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042

VICTOR PIMP #1
VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Dry ferts. Did frequent tests for a few weeks to establish a pattern of dosing and after that I simply stick to it. No hassle, no problems.

(photography, not related to aquaria)

|

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used to use dry ferts and EI, but I have since gone back to Seachem partially. I was using KNO3, K2SO4, K2PO4, and Plantex CSM+B. I found that my tap has plenty of phosphates so I dropped the PO4, K2SO4, and the Plantex. I still dose with KNO3 for potassium and nitrates, but use Flourish complete for my micros/macros. I also dose with Excel as an alternate source of carbon.

Tags
what ferts do you use

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode