Getting a new tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Getting a new tank...

OK, so I won an award at work and along with it comes a $300 gift cirtificate/card at the place(s) of my choosing. I was thinking about getting a $200 gift card for Petsmart to buy a 75 gallon tank for the stand I have built, and a $100 gift card for Lowes to help fund rebuilding my front deck leading into my house.

My question is:

Has anyone had any problems with the larger tanks that are sold at petsmart? I believe that they sell a TopFin 75 gallon with black silicone seams for around $200 or so. I don't want to rush out and get one if people have had problems with them.

I know the fish store that I usually go to does not think highly of petsmart tanks, but then again they are probably biased since they loose money to Petsmart.

Insight is appreciated!

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
The largest I have bought at Petsmart was a 55, and that was about 6 years ago. I have moved it twice, and it is still in great shape.

Tim

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Trallen44 -

Was it a Perfecto or a TopFin? Six years and two moves is a good track record IMO.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I want to say it was a topfin, but I am not positive.

Tim

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I stopped by Petsmart today, and apparently they only cary Topfin tanks which is their branded tanks (I am assuming private label).

Anyone else care to share their experience?

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:33 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i'm not sure what brand it was but i think it was topfin and i had it for almost two years and someone else before me had it for about 1 year and someone just bought it off me and it was still going good and it was a 55gallon long style
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

By the way, congrats on the award!

Tim

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
As far as I know Petsmart tanks are rebranded Perfecto/ Marineland tanks. The stands were the same on my Petsmart 150 4x2x30 and on my Marineland Rosewood 75. Also my 150 was stamped on the stand with a label that had perfecto on it. Moved it several times before I sold it.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trallen44 View Post
By the way, congrats on the award!
Thanks Trallen44!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
As far as I know Petsmart tanks are rebranded Perfecto/ Marineland tanks. The stands were the same on my Petsmart 150 4x2x30 and on my Marineland Rosewood 75. Also my 150 was stamped on the stand with a label that had perfecto on it. Moved it several times before I sold it.

Craig
That makes a lot of sense Craig. Thanks for your input. I am probably going to go this route unless a wave of people chime in with horror stories. Other than some chips in the glass on the edges with a few of the tanks that they had in stock, I think they should be realitvely sound tanks that look decent enough for my needs.

Filstar Pimp #106

On hold for a while...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:24 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
My 90gal is an AGA (rebranded now Aqueon). Most of my tanks are AGA and I've never had any fail to date.

No I take that back - I had an AGA 10gal randomly crack out of the blue back when I was in college and dump all 10gal on the floor of our dorm (we were all in the other room! ) But that's it.

I'm totally psyched that you may actually get to set that puppy up some time soon! woohoooo!!!!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've never had trouble with my petsmart 10g tank, but it's only been running for 8months as a quarantine tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode