Micro fish - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Micro fish

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you have a favorite type of "micro fish"; something at or under the 1" mark that works well in smaller tanks.

I am beginning my search for something not too timid, prefers schooling, and that handles a pH/temp range similar to that of the Bee Shrimp.

The galaxy rasboras (aka celestial pearl danio??) has caught my eye, but the shy personality doesn't quite fit...

I figured a good way to explore some of my options more seriously would be to ask what you all are keeping and seem to enjoy...

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have CPDs and they are obnoxiously timid. I'm going to add several more to see if larger numbers will bring them out in the open.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
CPDs In my experience aren't too shy. They need a large tank and a good number (I have 20 in a 55g). They also need some floating plants of some sort. Finally they do not like sudden vibrations so if you keep moving around they could hide because they think you might eat them...

Dwarf corry cats could fit your bill

I would check out the invertz factory for microfish.

-Andrew

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Dwarf corries are quite nice. They stay about the same size as the CPDs and they are extremely active. I keep Corydoras pygmaeus and they're all over the place. This is one of the mid-water species, so they spend a lot of time hanging out on and around the plants.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Not sure if these fit your bill but Ember Tetras are really small. I have no idea what their specific conditions are, just see them at my LFS every so often.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Microrasbora Nana. Mine are just shy of 3/4" full grown. I keep a school of 9 in my ADA Mini M.

If I ever went back to a large tank I would definitely keep a large 40+ school of these.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
Clown killies and lampeye killies don't really school, but they fit the bill otherwise. Any Boraras species works also.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 11:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
I have a bunch of Ember Tetras in my 40g. They are almost always in the front of the tank and school quite well. I keep them in a low pH, so I'm not sure what their "ideal" is but they will probably adapt to just about anything. The largest ones in my bunch are about an inch.

Not a great pic, but that is Blyxa japonia behind the fish, for size comparison.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to medicineman
Boraras maculatus other than galaxy rasbora

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have about a dozen chili rasboras (Boraras brigittae) in my 10 gallon. They get to be about an inch and have a very pretty red coloring. They don't school as one much, but they'll sometimes form a mini-school of 5 or 6. They might just need more room to truly school. I've also had pygmy cories, and they're nifty fish too.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Wonderful suggestions I will have to look more into those. When this tank is done cycling I plan on starting a 50 gallon and cannot wait for an amazing school of 40+ like you hope for Craig. But as this is currently cycling I'll have to keep planning that one!

As an avid koi enthusiast (currently have a 2500 gallon pond (not a watergarden), I am fully aware of my likelihood for MTS without even need for a proper diagnosis!

By chance does anyone have an idea what sort of fish these tiny fellas are? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHDHf...eature=related
Approximately 53 second mark... maybe the illusion of such a large tank, but they look almost like fry! So small...

Happy to be a part of a community with fellow addicts. Thanks for all your inputs.

John

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Those would be cardinal tetras max out about 2-2.5" or so. that is a large tank so they look smal, to sclae of the size of the tank.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Endler's Live Bearer is another very small fish, but a hardy one, and being a live bearer, it breeds constantly. They don't school - too busy seeking the most popular girl in the tank to impress. Think of them as mini-guppies.

Hoppy
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
NO3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Ember tetra and Endler's are tiny. I have both in the same tank. I could squeez 8 embers and 2 endler's in my 4 g tank.

Microdevario kubotai are small too. I am after some dwarf medaka, they are supposed to be hardy and less than 1" also.
Attached Images

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I went to the LFS today to look at some of these suggestions in person. They had most of them and they all looked great! Now I just need to get back from vacation, hope my tank has completed cycling and pick some up

I did find myself drooling over the CPDs which I originally wanted and was afraid to get for their timidness. However, they actually breed them there and they were surprisingly calm in the presence of people; never really hiding. I think I will go with those at their deal price of 6 for 25.00.

They just started carrying Crystal Red Shrimp as well, but have yet to succeed with breeding. I might wait a bit on those until they settle in or order from another source.

NO3: I was extremely impressed with this 4 gallon rimless combo they had. A very nice desktop unit... I might have to get one like that as well

... And so the addiction takes hold... *sigh*

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode