newbie needs help, low tech - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
newbie needs help, low tech

I have been wanting a planted aquarium for a while. I like the Igwamie style. I have never had planted aquariums before so I set this one up as a test before I commit to buying a edit load of stuff the set up my big tank. Im using stuff I have laying around.
The tank is a 4ft 33g with a 65w x 4 pc setup. I have a 10 lbs co2 set up but not quite sure how to use it. LOL I have a hang on back Rena smart filter that's rated for 55g and SMS substrate. The only fish will be about 25 cardinal tetras. I only want a thick carpet across the bottom.

How hard are cardinal tetras to keep? I have heard hard and easy.

What would be a great beginner plant that will quickly take over the ground?

Do I need to use the co2?

I have a fluval FX5 laying around? would that be two much flow for a 33g?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Definitely use the CO2. Looks like all you should need is a brass check valve and a diffusion method of some sort wehter it be by Diffuser, reactor, mazzaei injector, needle wheel pump. Lots of info on each in the Equipment forum.

I would say use the canister. Actually an Eheim 2217 would be better maybe you cna sell the FX5 and get an Eheim.

How do you like the 33g Long. I was so tempted to get one or even the 40 long before going with my Nano ADA setup. I still dream about setting up one maybe someday. I would prefer it to have the 75 depth of 18" though.

Enough rambling from me though.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
With that much light, you need to go high tech and use co2. Otherwise you will have lots of algae problems.

Tim
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
If you're looking for a good ground covering plant you should check out glosso. It's by far my favorite of the "carpet" plants. Check it out here.

If you're looking for more of a "grassy" look, then try out dwarf hairgrass. I've got some if my 10 gallon, and it's fun to watch spread across the foreground. It's a nice little plant, and it makes a perfect "lawn" in my aquarium. Check it out here.

Good luck with the tank. There are literally hundreds of options out there as far good ground coverage plants go. Just research this site for a while. Can't wait to see some planted pics. New tanks are so fun to watch progress on this site.

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode