What do I need to do to adjust my set up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
What do I need to do to adjust my set up?

Tank:
Odyssea 50 gallon bow front-tank
4x36 watts for 2.88 wpg (12 hours a day, 10K)
DIY CO2 2 liter/in-tank DIY reactor (powerhead/tube/sponge)
Rena Filstar XP4
Stealth heater
Flourite

Plants:
Amazon swords
Anubias (on drift wood)
Banana plants
Cryptocoryne spiralis
Cryptocoryne bronze?

Fish:
Rainbows
BN pleco
SAE (x2 small)
Albino Cories

Ferts:
API LeafZone 50ml once a week. Seachem root tabs.

So I am new at this and have been coming up with some problems. Swords grew fine for a little but now seem to have slowed at 5". Anubias are yellowing. Cryptocoryne bronze mostly melted away but still sprouting small leaves. Cryptocoryne spiralis doing the best with good growth nearing 24".

The initial set up of the tank about 3 months ago prior to the introduction of fish, I had to blackout due to cynabacteria. Diatom algae is under control by the pleco. I am currently having my first albreak with BBA on the bananas of the banana plant. Not much just noticed it. SAE not seem to want to eat it.

I am assuming that I need more CO2 and a better fert plan. I eventually want to move away from DIY CO2 and go pressurized. Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
I think you need to go to pressurized CO2 with that amount of light or cut back on your light by at least half. The plants you have would do as well at lower light levels although growth may be slower. Either way you'll need to revamp your fert routine. Root tabs are mainly micro fertilizers and some potassium as is Leaf Zone. Your plants need a source of nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium ( macro fertilizers ). Seachem and a number of other companies make products containing these. The least expensive way to buy these is in dry form through vendors such as Greenleaf Aquariums. Check out the Dosing Regimes sticky over in the Water Parameters section.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for the link. Now I have something to work with.

So I am about to buy from http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/Store.php 1 pound of each KN03, KH2PO4, and GH booster. How does that sound?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Sounds like a plan but keep in mind that CO2 and lighting are most important. The more light you have the more CO2 you need. Get that squared away and the rest is a lot easier. You can dose all the proper ferts but without good steady CO2 you're still not going to have the results you're after and I don't think DIY CO2 is enough for that much light.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Here are a couple of links from Tom Barr's site that would be a good read for you.

http://www.barrreport.com/you-new-aq...our-goals.html

http://www.barrreport.com/you-new-aq...earn-well.html
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay so even adding another 2 liter yeast bottle wouldn't be enough? I have been looking around on Rex Grigg's site. Should I just contact him and get the full deal. regulator, solenoid, bubble counter, ideal needle valve?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
If you are planning on eventually making the switch to pressurized, you would be better served to just do it now. With that much lighting, you will run into algae problems without good co2. In the meantime, I would suggest cutting your lighting back to help slow the problems down until you can get the co2 and ferts in order. If you could cut the wattage in half, that would probably be a good start

I have one of Rex's co2 regulators, and it is rock solid. Orlando from Green Leaf Aquariums (the sponsor at the top of this site) also sells the co2 setups and ferts, and he comes highly recommended as well.

Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It may be but I can't imagine it being consistent enough. If there's anyone with some experience using DIY on a highlight setup hopefully they will chime in but I would go pressurized. I started out using DIY like a lot of people and going to pressurized is like a whole new world. Good consistent CO2 levels make planted tank like a lot easier. Read over the two links from The Barr Report before you lay down the money for a pressurized system. Rex has been a great contributor here and from the reviews I've read makes first class regulators. Orlando at Greenleaf gets great reviews as do the guys at Sumo Regulators. I'd check them all before making a decision on where to buy.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 06:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Go with Rex Griggs, isn't he the Marine? Support those who supported you. Plus from what I have heard, he makes an awesome product.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess I could pull 2 of 36 watt cf bulbs to cut the light in half for now. Is it difficult to deal with PH swings? Or is it as simple as shutting off with the lights? I have seen some use PH monitors is that a necessary cost?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Assuming you are talking about co2 lowering due to the addition of co2, there is no need to worry about the ph. Ph changes due to co2 are harmless to fauna. IMHO, ph controllers aren't really necessary. Lots of us just use a solenoid with a timer to shut the co2 off along with the lights

Mike

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry I wasn't clear. Two thoughts in one paragraph. I was going to pull two bulbs until I got pressurized CO2.

I also hear the about PH swings when the tank transitions light to dark. I always thought large swings in PH could be harmful to fish.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

I've never heard of light affecting ph. Where did you read that?

Mike

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

what I am trying to say is plants discontinuing use of CO2 when lights go off. Thus if CO2 conitunes to be inserted into water the increasing of unused CO2 affecting PH. I know thats what the Solenoid shut off is for but do plants stop using CO2 right when the lights go off or is there a slow decrease in usage that may cause a PH swing.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 08:56 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Swings in PH from C02 injection do not harm fish. I have pressurized c02 with my 40 gallon. The c02 is on a timer and solenoid and set to go shut off 1 hour after the lights go off and turn back on 1 hour before the lights go on. The c02 stays off for the night. I have had it like this for over a year no fish deaths, no sign of fish uneasiness as stress. As others have stated, your fish are more likely to die of excess c02 than PH going too low. Get a drop checker and ensure that it reads 30PPM(lime green), which is generally as safe range for fish and enough for plants to obtain adequate c02 with high light. Try no to sweat the small stuff.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode