Storing dry ferts - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Storing dry ferts

How do u store your dry ferts? Lately I wanted to organize my stuff and I was trying to think of a way to store them in a convient way for me to use every day instead of opening a bag. So far I'm thinking of using the plastic cans of hikari plastic cans. Its a nice twist off and im on the search for some small glass jars to use.

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I bet if you found the right salt shaker, it would work well, or one of those powder gatorade containers (darn i just threw one out!)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfalconf35 View Post
I bet if you found the right salt shaker, it would work well, or one of those powder gatorade containers (darn i just threw one out!)
Nah I need something small. Something that I can keep on the table with out it looking like i got 10 bags. lol

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use empty (and clean) glass jar of marmalade. I then label it with what I put in it, the dosing days and the amount I dose... That way I am less likely to forget...
The rest of the stuff I cant fit in the jars stays in the ziplock bags in the storage room.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
From Ikea, I got plastic jars with flip lids like 4-8 ounce spice containers. (one side is a shaker, one side for a spoon (how convenient)
All nice and neat. and under 5 bucks.

Sorry no link, found pic:

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!

Last edited by tazcrash69; 02-26-2009 at 04:15 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 02:27 PM
amp
Planted Member

PTrader: (40/100%)
Iv been pondering the same question, I too just have my frets in the ziplock bags they came it. I think Im going to grab some of these from USPlastic.

EHEIM PIMP
CASCADE PIMP

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I use the Glad cheap food storage containers.

John

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
I use the exact usplastics containers.
I have the dosing labeled on the front in case i forget
It doesnt take too much space to store them at all
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (42/100%)
chinese food soup containers! they are free plus you get to eat chinese food!

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 11:45 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I went to a craft store and got some water-based paints with the little flip up and snap closed lids (you can probably find them in any children's isle). I washed the paint right out and cut the little mini plastic containers. I pre-measure my doses in advance and can easily be set for multiple doses without having to measure for a long time.

*edit*
I took some pics (you can see an old dosing regime paper on the bottom)

Room for more!

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I use a one week pill reminder box to hold the daily doses when I travel for work so my wife can easily dumb the right amount into the tank by just opening the compartment for the day. Similar to the little containers NightSky has above.

John

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)
Great idea's Thanks!

Where do you store the rest of the powders for a longer shelf life? I have about a years worth of fert.

75g, pair of gold rams , ABN, 1 adult 2 young discus, 2oto's, 6ADF's, 3 anglefish. 96w 6700k-light 6hrs raised, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

I went the cheapo route with old spice bottles from a flea market. Lids are labeled with name and dosage. I keep the bulk in the plastic bags and refill the bottles.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maswan0 View Post
I keep the bulk in the plastic bags and refill the bottles.
Same here. They're in a cool closet. They're pretty old too since I first started with planted tanks back in 05. They still work.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift
I have mine premeasured in a water bottle.. so I buy a small 325ml bottle of water (poland spring aqua pod).. dump the dry ferts in and shake.. and I just keep it in the dark under my tank. I have a syringe plug in the bottle.. so I just stick the syringe in and pull whatever I need and dose with the syringe.. i do about 7ml daily.. so it only lasts about a month.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode