Moving a 75 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Moving a 75 Gallon

Wondering if anyone can answer a question that has been plaguing me for a while...
I am moving to a new apartment in a couple of months, and I will be bringing my 75 gallon AGA planted with me. Good news, the apartment is a block away, and both buildings have elevators. Bad news: I'm pretty set against removing the substrate and plants from the tank. I don't feel it needs a rescape, and due to the small timeframe I have to move, not sure I have time to take out and replace substrate.
Anyway, the question is: am I risking structural damage to the tank by moving it with substrate intact? As a follow-up, is there a reliable way to move the 75 from a stand to perhaps a dolly or cart? I think I'll have 5 people to help, hopefully it's enough
Any help or input would be appreciated, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 01:52 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I wouldn't try that. Really. I moved a 20g with almost no water and 3" of substrate and it was very heavy for two people. Now I have an empty 75g tank and I know that this thing is as heavy as the one I mentioned, if not more. Add approximetly 100# of wet substrate (or even more) and you're risking too much. I now removing all the substrate is PITA, but I wouldn't risk lifting anything bigger than 20-29g.

Ckeck out my photography&travel blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And "Like Us" on Facebook

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I have the sinking feeling I might just have to remove everything, I didn't even think about the fact that the substrate is wet and would therefore be even heavier =/ However, we wouldn't try moving the tank by carrying it, only move it to a large moving cart, and then back onto the stand. The dead lift for the second part worries me, though. Sigh.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:12 AM

PTrader: (47/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooper825 View Post
Wondering if anyone can answer a question that has been plaguing me for a while...
I am moving to a new apartment in a couple of months, and I will be bringing my 75 gallon AGA planted with me. Good news, the apartment is a block away, and both buildings have elevators. Bad news: I'm pretty set against removing the substrate and plants from the tank. I don't feel it needs a rescape, and due to the small timeframe I have to move, not sure I have time to take out and replace substrate.
Anyway, the question is: am I risking structural damage to the tank by moving it with substrate intact? As a follow-up, is there a reliable way to move the 75 from a stand to perhaps a dolly or cart? I think I'll have 5 people to help, hopefully it's enough
Any help or input would be appreciated, thanks!
If you're not sure, give it a test move. Bring those 5 people over and ask them to try to move it a few feet back and forth and see if they can handle it with no incident.

Try to see if you can lift it up, move it a few feet, and return it back to its position. Wearing gloves will increase your durability in holding the tank and I highly advise it unless you got some leather rough manly hands . If you feel that you can, then maybe.

I would not advise moving a 75 gallon with substrate. I personally wouldn't do that. I have a 38 gallon and I tried doing that with 2 people and it almost broke my back and had to dump the substrate out.

I'm guessing your tank, since planted, is about 2-3" deep in substrate? The substrate will be wet too. Just remember, you have 5 people but I don't think those 5 people can fit through your door or down the stairs, etc. So preplan this as much as you can, last thing you'll want is dropping this, especially on someone's foot. "Better safe then sorry" comes to mind and my dad tells me that so many times too lol. GL
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
I moved my 20g the other day with all the substrate and about 5-7 inches of water. It was pretty heavy. Maybe about as heavy as my full 5 gallon. I got it in my car and draped a towel over the top to keep water splashing down. I would definitely not recommend doing this with a 75g. I couldn't imagine how heavy it is with water and substrate in it. Plus, my parameters are out of whack now. I used to have no nitrates or nitrites, but now I've got a tolerable, small amount. water changes aren't getting rid of it yet. Maybe another day or two will settle things down a bit.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Def. going to drain it of all the water, and bring most of it over with buckets. If it was moved with water, I could just buy a new tank for the price of the medical bills associated with 5 hernias, and save some trouble
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
I've moved a 55 with substrate from room to room. My and other person lowered it onto to a funiture dolly, wheeled it over and then put it back on the stand.

I do think you can move it with the substrate, if you could put support under it to keep the weight equally on the frame, as if it were on the stand. Say a 3/4 inch of plywood or some 2x4's but you'd have to ensure it wouldn't slide off when going up and down stairs or loading.

John

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Planted Member

I assure you it will be the heaviest thing you will ever move/lift.

I moved my 90 gallon with the gravel, plants, driftwood, fish and about two inches of water inside.

I only had one other perosn help me. We used gloves and at one point had to put the tankl down because we were about to drop it.

We moved the tank a total of about 100 feet it was by far the heaviest liftting I have ever done.

I am not Heman but have done my fair share of lifting working on houses, boats and cars. It will be heavy as hell. You will be sore the next day even if you work out regularly.

Having four people on the tank will help. The 5th person can open the doors etc and spot those who are weaker.

Get gloves for everyone and make sure everyone knows what they are in for.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
I moved my intact 75 gallon once. Will NOT ever try that again. I used a piano dolly and three of my friends. We all played college rugby and thought that we were tough as nails....turns out we were in over our heads.

I had about 80lbs of gravel and maybe 2 inches of water above the gravel left in the tank when we decided it would be safe to begin lifting. The initial weight was not even a problem. It was once we began to move with the tank that we started having problems. The movement of the tank caused the water to slosh around and create waves back and forth throughout the tank. This caused the weight to shift with the moving water and we just about dropped the tank. We finally got it to our piano dolly and safely carted it to my pickup. We only had to move the thing a few feet, but it was HARD AS HELL!!! Be warned, this is no simply process. You will need to find your biggest, strongest friends to help. Don't even bother calling that skinny guy you know..ha ha!

Good luck with the tank moving! My best advice is to find something with solid wheels that is very sturdy. Don't try to carry the thing all the way to the elevator. Save your back!!!

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

-
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Kudos Ralph, I can't even imagine moving a 90 with only one person to help . Was it difficult to move the tank to the dolly? I have experience with deadlifts in the weight room, but I've never attempted to lower/raise something as bulky or heavy as a tank.
Also, did the bottom of your 90 have any stress damage? Thanks!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So don't let the girlfriend grab a side, Cam?

I think I'm definitely going to drain all the water, it seems to make quite a difference. However, the new apartment is close enough that I can wheel it over without switching to a truck or carrying it up any stairs. Maybe =/
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Kudos Ralph, I can't even imagine moving a 90 with only one person to help . Was it difficult to move the tank to the dolly? I have experience with deadlifts in the weight room, but I've never attempted to lower/raise something as bulky or heavy as a tank.
Also, did the bottom of your 90 have any stress damage? Thanks!
We did not use a dolly. We carried it 100 feet.

Wear a weight belt. It will definitely help.

There was no damage to the tank whatsoever but most of the fish died from the detritus plume.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph50 View Post
We did not use a dolly. We carried it 100 feet.

Wear a weight belt. It will definitely help.

There was no damage to the tank whatsoever but most of the fish died from the detritus plume.
Sorry to hear about the fish, but hats off, 100 feet, and carrying the thing, is no joke.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Planted Member

Did you move it???

If you did you are probably sore right now.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Nope, not yet, still got a few weeks. Not looking forward to it. Don't think the shrimp will survive the move, substrate left in or not.

Tags
moving aquarium, moving tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode