Unknown Problem, wisdom please! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unknown Problem, wisdom please!

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/at...1&d=1235503920

So hereís the scoop. Iíve got a 29 gallon moderately planted tank. Iím utilizing approx 3.5Ē of Eco-complete for the substrate. I dose Seachem per there download document, minus the excel. I pump in CO2 via a new DIY reactor and DIY spraybar. Iíve got a lot of plants I donít remember the names of (yah yah yah, Iím bad ). And Lastly, Iím running a 2x 65w coralite (9 hours with a 3 hour burst in the middle). As for the water, it is now RO, because Iíve gotten a new well that just wasnít working for the plants. My Kh is 8.0 and the ph is currently hovering around 6.2-6.4 and my nitrates are in a good range. The tank is 2.5 years old and is looking really healthy after a 6 month period of things not being so hot. Additionally, Iíve got great growth on several plants and minimal on others.

So hereís where I need some help. I slowly turned up the CO2 until my plants began to pearl. That was at about 6.4 or so. All the fish (Tetras, ottos, green neons, and one German ram) appear to be handling things except for my rummy noses that are currently seeking refuge at the bottom of the tank in the shade, I may have even lost a few. I know that according to a couple of charts if my kh is 8 and my ph is 6.4, my co2 should theoretically be at 96ppm. Whatís one to do? I have to say, I donít think I quite have the co2 chemistry thing down.

Do I raise the ph in the hopes that my rummies rejoin the community even if it means the plants donít pearl?

Am I pumping in too much co2?

Am I missing something here?

Please fire away. I need help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000550.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	12152  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
You need to turn it down, are you using a bubble counter?

I'd get a CO2 drop checker if I was you, some 4dKH standard for it, then you can dial in to a nice green color and know your levels are right.

My rule of thumb, turn it up till the fish act weird, crank it back down till they're normal and leave it.

Don't worry about pearling too much, it has a lot to do with light, maybe other nutrients too. That's if the plants are happy, if you simply turn up any gas in the tank it'll become supersaturated and bubbles will form. You see that a lot with water changes using tapwater that isn't gassed out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode