Should I upgrade my lights? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Should I upgrade my lights?

Hey everyone, I'm running a 20g low-tech tank (DIY CO2, weekly Nutrafin GRO fertilizer, 2x13W CFL bulbs). I'm growing plants that are reputed to be rather hardy (red & green crypts, wisteria, hygrophila siamnesis). Would it be in my best interest to purchase another light for my tank, which would bring me up to 52W of CFL light on the tank (2.5W/g rather than 1.25)? I can do so rather cheaply and I want the plants to look...green and healthy not brown and shriveled. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Those plants you named should grow well under your lighting as long as the co2 is consistent (the problem). If you want to upgrade the light be ready to do some battle with algea if you decide to stick with diy co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 09:39 PM

PTrader: (47/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoontar View Post
Hey everyone, I'm running a 20g low-tech tank (DIY CO2, weekly Nutrafin GRO fertilizer, 2x13W CFL bulbs). I'm growing plants that are reputed to be rather hardy (red & green crypts, wisteria, hygrophila siamnesis). Would it be in my best interest to purchase another light for my tank, which would bring me up to 52W of CFL light on the tank (2.5W/g rather than 1.25)? I can do so rather cheaply and I want the plants to look...green and healthy not brown and shriveled. Thoughts?
How are the plants doing so far since you said you're keeping plants that are "reputed to be rather hardy"?

You can do an upgrade but once you past the 2wpg threshold, be prepare to move to high tech. With 1.25 wpg (not t5s though) you probably won't benefit too much from CO2 injection, water surface aggitation should be sufficient and CO2 and waste released by tank inhabitants like fish.

Getting to 2.5 wpg CF will probably require, like bsmith mentioned, a more steady constant supply of CO2. Algae is partially caused by insufficient or inconsistant CO2. Also, you'll need the additions of ferts to help the plants to outcompete algae.

So think carefully before stepping up. It is one of those things that, if you do halfass, you're going to regret it in the long run. It'll probably make this even break this hobby for you if you don't watch out. It'll make this hobby a chore instead of a joy.

You can try to maintain your DIY CO2, but be prepare to either cut the lights back down or go pressurized with ferts, not to mention the numerous other doodads.

Btw, just because you have high lights doesn't mean you'll get green healthy plants. There's more to it. And just because you have lower light doesn't mean you can't get green healthy plants, you just have to choose which plants. Low tech tanks can be gorgeous as well, as much as you want it to be.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode