plant placement help, aquascape help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (104/100%)
plant placement help, aquascape help

I removed some of my plants.. large vesuvius plants which will be going up in the sns. I got some blyxa's from Glenn. (excellent btw) I have placed the japonica but not the aubertii. I would like to know if I should remove the rotala on either side of the tank and replace it with the blyxa aubertii? is there a better placement for them? Let me know your thoughts. I also have about 14 stems of the low growing hygro. I am debating on whether or not to replace the low growing sunset that is in the middle with the regular low grow hygro. thoughts?

here are the pics.. Ignore the floaters.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
The blyxa japonica that you have in there now will get taller. The blyxa aubertii that I have seen will get as tall as the plant you have behind your rotala on the right. I would not put it on the right as you already have a plant similar to it there already. You might put it no the left. I think it would look fine there.

I think your low growing sunset is pretty neat. The low grow hygro will not be as unique since it doesn't have the color. I think sunset will really compliment the E Tennellus you have once it fills in. You might put the low grow hygro in the back beside the sunset. I do think both plants will somewhat disappear as your blyxa japonica grows. It can really fill in and get big.

Your tank is looking nice!

Just keeping on keeping on....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the one tall one on the right is one of the aubertii that was sent to me today. I just stuffed it in the substrate to see how it would look. that is a good idea with the low hygro behind the sunset. I am just not sure as to where to put the other aubertii. back left? behind the rotala.. I am debating on getting rid of the rotala on the left side all together.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:49 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry to sidetrack the thread, but what are those red and yellow striped fish?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

LoL those are torpedobarbs I have a school of 10. other names include denisonii barbs, roseline sharks etc. goes by many names. extremely docile fish excellent for community tanks. $$ though. usually average about 30.00 each.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I thought blyxa aubertii got redder than that. Do you have high light? I know to bring out the color you do need high light. Are you sure you need two? Get rid of the Rotala on the left AND maybe just put them both beside each other on the left, one in the corner to the right and one in the same corner pulled a little forward. That side is weighed heavier and it would look nice, I think.

On the right carry your aromatica all the way to the wall and leave the Rotala in front of it. That would work well. What do you think?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

that does sound good. I will try that and see. the aubertii does get much redder than that. I just got it today that is why. the ones that I had before were half of that size and very pink in color. I think that I will plant the hygro behind the low sunset hygro. I am not sure I like the p wood layout on the right side of the tank. it looks to symmetrical with one big rock on each side like that. I doesn't look bad.. I just think that it could look better is all.

any thoughts on that?

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 04:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

I kinda like that big rock there. Maybe move the little rock 2nd from right side over to left side. That way there are 3 rocks not 4 on right side. Also it won't look like 3 rocks right in a row. You could add a few smaller DW to that side or one fat stem. Play around with a stick or 2 or 3 and see what it looks like.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok.. I did make a some changes.. and I will post pics here soon. I removed the rotala on the left and placed the other 2 blyxa aubertii's. I planted a few stems of the rotala in front of the the aubertii.. but only a few. I added a piece of the P wood towards the center.. but back farther behind the low sunset. next to the sunset I planted the low hygro. I placed 1 vesuvius next to the p stellatus broadleaf in front of the rotala and aubertii on the left.

anyways.. I am going to take some pics and put them up for feedback.

75 Gallon Planted Tank.

Filstar Pimp #136

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode