Could be the dumbest question about cutting. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Could be the dumbest question about cutting.

If I wanted my dwarf hair grass and micro sword to spread and grow, how does one make it do it? I think they have runners or at least the Hair grass does I think. But I also heard you need to cut it first before it will grow and spread. How do you cut it? Where do you cut it? Is it all true or should I just be patient and see?

I have tried looking up info but I am not the best when it comes to looking up net. lol I have read but dont quite understand it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:01 PM

I cut the roots to stimulate new root growth, and then cut the top blades of grass so that you have about 0.5-1" of green. If you got them potted, you can also cut or pull them apart and plant smaller cuttings of about 3-6 blades of grass about an inch apart from each other.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

How much of the roots did you cut? I dont want to over cut.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:02 AM
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would think just the tips of the roots would do it but hopefully someone with more experience will come along and say for sure!

Good luck though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 01:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I don't know about cutting it, some people trim their hair grass carpet down and that probably helps it's density. The trick that works for me, with Lillaeopsis and Eleocharis, is getting enough to plant a checker board pattern throughout a large open area, ~1" clumps an inch or two apart from one another. Add light and nutrients and a thick carpet fills in after some time. If you're letting it spread out from a single clump, you're probably in for a long wait.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode