New to planted tanks, need verification. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to planted tanks, need verification.

I have a new planted tank, been going for just about a month now. The plants all started out very nice and green/red but some have been getting brown (im thinking algae), some losing their red, I think I need more ferts, been using root tabs and flourish. Also probably need CO2, I'm too poor for a pressurized CO2 I think (need to figure out how cheap I can do it) but would a DIY CO2 provide the plants some of what they need? Do you think I need CO2?

I have 110W in a standard 55 gal tank so I think its enough lighting.

No clue on water params other than ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, pH because I dont have another water tester.

Ill post pictures once I get em taken. (yay camera phone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 05:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Typically reds can be augmented by dosing iron. CO2 will help growth in certain ways, but it's not going to, by itself, fix everything. You may want to look at a fert dosing regimen, because you seem to be at that "mid-tech" range. Any more info (and those pics), will be greatly beneficial to any diagnoses.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
If your light is an AH Supply bright light 2 x 55 watt kit, you likely have too much light to do without CO2 successfully. That is a relatively high tank, so that helps reduce the light intensity a bit, and my PAR meter testing with that type of light suggests that you have about 80 micromols per sq m per sec. of light at the substrate. That isn't really high light intensity, but enough that doing without CO2 will always be a problem.

If you use at least 2x2 liter bottles of DIY CO2, you can probably keep enough CO2 in the water to help the plants a lot. Just be sure to stagger the start and replenish times for the bottles, in order to keep the concentration somewhat steady.

And, you will want to start a fertilizer dosing program, the Estimative Index method being the most widely used and easiest one to use. The fertilizers are very cheap and last for more than a year typically.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode