Is CO2 necessary if you use Flourish Excel? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 02:09 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is CO2 necessary if you use Flourish Excel?

Is CO2 still necessary I use Flourish Excel. 1 cap and 1/2 of Flourish Excel every two days in a 75 gallon freshwater planted tank.

- java ferns
- java moss
- orchid lily
- pennywort
- crystalwort
- wisteria
- water sprite
- amazon frogbits

Its pretty well planted. But the Seachem site says that Flourish Excel will help your plants do photosynthesis like CO2. So can I use it as an replacement

Oh, and I'm using about 125 watt light for this tank for about 9-10 hours per day.

And anyways, my plants are low-medium light plants. So do I still need CO2 injections or is Flourish Excel enough?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Flourish Excel is another source of carbon for your plants. Most sites, even Seachem's, advice this as a supplement to CO2 injection. I would imagine that you could get away with using Excel as the primary carbon source in a smaller tank, but I don't think that it would suffice in your situation for long. It looks like you're running less than 2 WPG, so you might not really need the CO2 injection AS MUCH as others. Carbon deficiency becomes more of a concern in a high light tank. This is due to the increase in photosynthetic metabolism brought on by higher levels of light. If you keep your lighting lower, then you may get away with lower levels of available carbon for your plants.

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
What lights do you use? If they are T5HO lights, you have high light. If they are screw-in CFL lights, you have low light. All lights aren't created equal.

Hoppy

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:39 AM

PTrader: (47/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac007 View Post

- java ferns (If you can see the light, it can probably survive, I've had java ferns in barely any light and they still survive. Of course they will grow a tad faster in higher lighted tanks with CO2, but they aren't fast growing to begin with)

- java moss (Same for java ferns applies here, however, they will start to grow exponentially once you reach a nice mass of them)

- orchid lily (N/A)
- pennywort (One of the lead nitrate suckers, they're pretty good for a shrimp tank, pretty decent growth speed, maybe a little more light then javas)

- crystalwort (NA)
- wisteria (Around the same as java ferns, maybe a stay around 1 wpg to 1.5wpg for better growth, in CO2 high light tank it grows extremely fast)

- water sprite (similar to wisteria, has smaller leafs if I'm not confusing the two. They tend to brown a lot more and they create more of a mess, I don't like them much....wisteria is better)

- amazon frogbits (Doesn't matter because it gets pretty much all the light it needs because it floats on the surface where they grab the most light. They are pretty big though and will shade plants below, each leaf is about the size of a quarter more or less)

None of the plants really require CO2 at all, especially with your lighting.
As long as you stay around 1 to 1.5 wpg, then it should be okay. What type of lighting do you use? CF, T5s, ? If you use T5s then that's a different thing , they're very efficient lighting, especially with good reflectors.

You can add flourish if you want but in all honesty, they probably won't need it. Just don't overdose, which is very important. I'd do half the amount recommended, it might help them a little but water surface aggitation would be sufficient...and CO2 coming from any tank inhabitant. I've written notes next to each of those plants that I've had experience with. Look up and you'll see it in bold
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
thank natty, your answer helped A LOT.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Don't try to evaluate all lights by "watts per gallon". It simply doesn't work that way. T5HO lights at 1 watt per gallon vs. screw-in CFL lights at 1 watt per gallon are the same just as a Yugo is the same as a Mercedes Benz.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode