CO2 Ran Out - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Ran Out

It's a two week turn around for me to get the bottle refilled (have to ship it off). So, I guess I should just stop the ferts completely, and maybe cut back on the lights? Lights are already cut way back, so scratch that.

Should I expect some wild out-of-wack swing that's going to happen?

Victor PIMP #20 - SR253B-320
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Planted Member

two weeks?!?!?! I thought I lived in the sticks....
we have an "airgas" outlet that will fill while you wait.

Brad Sherwood North Dakota
55 planted-tetras and RC shrimp
125 C02 planted tank,Angels,various tetra's, clownloaches.
72 bow front- koi tank in the winter...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The effect of cutting off CO2 for two weeks will depend on how much light you normally use on that tank. If it is high light, you can look forward to learning how to get rid of various algae, especially BBA. But, if it is much lower light, you might not see anything going wrong. Reducing the light intensity and duration while waiting for more CO2 is a good idea.

If I knew it would take 2 weeks to get a refill I would buy another 5 pound tank, so I would always have a full tank on hand.

Hoppy

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, it probably actually only takes them 8 minutes and 23 seconds to refill the tank, but the the delivery only runs once per week..so I have to take it to them on a Thursday...they ship it across state for refill and then it returns the following Thursday. If the tank empties on a Friday...I have to wait to the following Thursday..hence..upto two weeks...that's if I remember to pick it up.

Maybe I should teach my fish exercise more so they'll breathe more faster.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Why don't you set up a DIY as a backup, just in case? Better that than no CO2, right?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Wait, there is not one place, anywhere within an hour drive, that you can go to get a refill??? That is insane. Time for you to get another bottle as a backup.

Out of curiosity, what are they charging you for a refill with the mileage that your Co2 tank is getting?

And do not stop fertilizing plants because you ran out of CO2.

No offense, but this is poor planning and certainly not a good approach to setting up a planted tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Wait, there is not one place, anywhere within an hour drive, that you can go to get a refill??? That is insane. Time for you to get another bottle as a backup.

Out of curiosity, what are they charging you for a refill with the mileage that your Co2 tank is getting?

And do not stop fertilizing plants because you ran out of CO2.

No offense, but this is poor planning and certainly not a good approach to setting up a planted tank.
The refill charge was $15.00 for a 10lb bottle. The only place that I can have them refill it while I wait is 4 hour round trip, and they ain't open on weekends or after 5:00 pm. So, I take it to the local welding supply branch office here in town...they ship all their bottles to the same central supply location and get them back once a week.

I don't mind being down for a while...gives the fish a break. So far I don't see any signs of a problem. I've been migrating to a lower Hi-tech setup anyway. Lowering lights, cutting ferts in half and backing off on CO2. Thinking now that I may just do away with the CO2 & ferts and go with lower light plants or maybe even artificial plastic one (as opposed to real plastic ones). I'm tired of fighting algae, I'm tired of 50+% w.c. and cleaning every week.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can make the planted tank maintenance a lot easier just by using low light, a nutrient rich substrate, and plants that don't absolutely need high light, which is most plants. If you then add CO2, but not at the maximum 30 ppm, you will get great, but slow growth, few algae problems, little or no water changes, and weekly fertilizing. It helps to borrow a PAR meter to be sure you really do have low light and not high light - 30-50 micromols on the PAR meter would be low light.

Hoppy
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You can make the planted tank maintenance a lot easier just by using low light, a nutrient rich substrate, and plants that don't absolutely need high light, which is most plants. If you then add CO2, but not at the maximum 30 ppm, you will get great, but slow growth, few algae problems, little or no water changes, and weekly fertilizing. It helps to borrow a PAR meter to be sure you really do have low light and not high light - 30-50 micromols on the PAR meter would be low light.
You are describing exactly what I am migrating toward. But I might just go with absolutely no plants and maybe buy some of the model buildings for model train sets or xmas villages...and create like NY City under water. That might be cool. I'll just have to make sure they aren't made in China and kill my fish. (poision toys).

Well I don't know what a micromol is, but if I use a tool that I loved as a boy (magnifying glass), I can burn a hole in a 3x5 index card in about 90 seconds now. It used to take about 35...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode