When are your lights on? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
When are your lights on?

When do you guys/ glas have your lights come on?

Mine come on from 10am to 7 pm. A touch long but I deal with it.

I've been thinking aobut having them come on from 2-9pm. A bit less hours but more viewing time at night when I'm home. Also time to work in the tank after I get home,cleaned up, eat dinner, etc...

My only concern is the tank is in the living room so it would receive Ambient daylight during the day. Nothign direct as the tank is in the southwest corner and all the windows are on my south wall. Only thing in the living room is the Sliding Glass doors to my balcony. This is as I live in an apartment.

Should I even worry about the tiny bit of light that would make it to the tank?

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:36 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I have been playing with my lights lately. I used to have them come on at 6am until noon, then take a break and have them come on from 3 until 8 again.
Now this was with 2 wpg, no dosing no CO2...
Needless to say my tank was green, just not from plants...

Then a couple of months ago I started DIY CO2, still no dosing... that didn't work either...

I then came across this forum here and started reading... I read and read and came to the conclusion that I have been going about this all wrong, and that any advice I have ever gotten about growing plants from my LFS was inadequate to say the least...

Two weeks ago I went to a LFS, bought myself a bristle nose pleco, some wisteria, some vals, some java fern, some kind of grass and a bottle of florish trace. The next day I ordered a bunch of stuff from aquariumfertilizers.com

The plants still did not do very well, as I did not really dose

Now... a week ago I started EI and changed my light hours to 10 to 7. I could not believe my eyes when my vals were sending out runners on the second day of dosing...

Anyway, this is probably not the thread to share this, but I was too excited
I am considering reducing my hours some more until my algae is a little better under control. At this point I have a nice spectrum of all different kinds
I had also thought of going to 2-9.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:41 AM
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
mine are on 12:30pm-10:30pm

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
12:00 - 10:00 pm
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1
Mine go on at 5:30(need to change it) in the morning, and off at 12:30.

I don't like it because when I get home from work, I can't enjoy it, but it's best for me because it's on when I wake up, and all the fish are out and about, so I can feed and fertalize in the mornings. I need to change it so that they go on at 6 instead of 5:30(I get up at 6:20). then turn off at 1 in teh afternoon.

Whenever I need to do work in the tank I just switch one of the lights on.

65 gallon low tech planted
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
around 2:00 pm to 11:00 pm (gos on around when i get back from classes and turns off about when i go to sleep)

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Mine are about noon to 8:00 pm. I think I have read that 6 hours is about the minimum so the plants can get started growing well, and over 10 hours is an invitation for algae.

Hoppy
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
About 11am to 8pm.

Brion
29 gal journal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

55 gal low tech

post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
Mine are on 12pm to 8pm, with a "burst" between 2pm and 6pm.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I currently run about 9-9.5 hours. I get a touch of GSA and GDA but it is diminishing. I plan on going back to 7.5-8 hours max.

Any problems with having the ambient sunlight in the room? We open the blinds during the day to take advantage of the free heat during the winter. The summer time less comes in as the balcony from the 3rd floor receives most of hte direct sunlight.

The tank receives no direct sunlight at all just a touch from what comes in the room.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
I have a south facing window that lets in quite a lot of light, little to none of which lands directly on the glass, but it is still my primary light source during the day. I also have a 2x32 watt T8 fixture that lights up the room until 9pm. I can't contribute any tank problems to this extra light, be it during the tank's photoperiod or otherwise.

75 Gallon Planted Tank
|

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:04 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
my lights at the moment go 8am to 8pm by the sounds of this its too long but its only a single 40 watt in a 55 gallon

i will be getting new lights in a week or so about 2.5 wpg of white light and 2 tubes of blue ones scince from what iv herd blue dont do anythong realy would it be ok to go :

blue from 7am till10am..blue swap to white from 10am till6pm then swap tp blue from 6pm till 930pm

iv come up with ths because i love the look of blue so i can look at it befor and after school but it shouldent over light it because iv herd the blue tues dont produce algee or plant growth
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Craig,
I am not sure about the influence of the sun light.. I always blamed the close proximity of my tank to a window for all that algae I was fighting. I can get back to you in a few months, when my plants kick in a little better. My gut feeling sais, that the indirect sunlight should not be a problem, but I could be wrong...
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
I usually turn it on at 2-3pm since that's when i come back from school. Turns off at 10:30-11:00 when i sleep.

FISH, SHRIMPS, AND PLANTS RULE!
Click below

post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)
12 pm to 9 pm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode